Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Best Place for A Group of 12!!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/best-place-for-a-group-of-12-a-992006/)

conniluv Sep 16th, 2013 05:57 AM

Best Place for A Group of 12!!!

We are a group of Soldiers coming from a deployment and are planning a trip to have a good time and relax. We are all in our Late20s - Mid 30s. Looking for a vacation (beaches, nightlife, and excursions). We are considering Jamaica or Mexico right now, but are open for any ideas!! Pleassseee help!!! We would like AI but not a necessity. Thanks in advance!

Caribzack Sep 16th, 2013 06:55 AM

Turks & Caicos will give you the most beautiful beaches for sure & great excursions . Nightlife will be very limited. With 12 you can make your own party where ever you go.

The only AI's on TCI are Club Med--older basic type place & Beaches that does cater to families ( Lots of restaurants tho--12 at least)

What time of year?

What budget?

You could stay at a number of Condo type resorts right on Grace Bay & go to a number of great restaurants & bars!

KVR Sep 16th, 2013 05:50 PM

I think a group of 20 - 30 somethings will be totally bored on Turks and Caicos. There is absolutely nothing there to do except water related and the nightlife is practically nil.

The Playa del Carmen area of Mexico fits all of your criteria. Check out the Royal Playa del Carmen. It's a lux AI resort within a 5 minute walk to 5th Avenue, which is several blocks of restaurants, bars, shopping and entertainment. There are tons of things to see and do off the resort.

I like Jamaica and have been twice, but to me, leaving the resort for excursions requires a personal driver or using the resort's tours. Nightlife is not as abundant. The Cliff's area of Negril, you would probably find what you are looking for than any of the other areas of Jamaica. Not really any AI resorts in that area.

Thank you for your service. Hope you have a wonderful vacation. :)

sharona Sep 16th, 2013 06:32 PM

Hi conniluv. Welcome to Fodors and yes, thank you for your service.

I agree with KVR. Turks & Caicos is lovely but I'm afraid you'll be bored to tears. It has one of the most beautiful beaches you can imagine but that's about it. It's very, very quiet and on the expensive side to boot. It's mostly couples and families with very few singles looking for nightlife.

Playa del Carmen is a great choice. There are tons of AI's in all price ranges and we stayed at the Royal Playa del Carmen that KVR mentions. It's a very nice resort in a great location. Good food, too. There were definitely groups of singles having a great time when we were there and you really are just a couple of minutes walk to 5th Avenue.

There's also a lot to do on Jamaica and it also has a lot of all-inclusives. Iberostar Rose Hall might be a good choice. We stayed at the Iberostar Grand just down the beach and the Rose Hall looked to have a young clientele. There's also a nightclub on property that was packed every night.

You may also want to consider Aruba and St. Martin. I don't know your budget but a friend of mine gets an all-inclusive package at the Holiday Inn every year. The Holiday Inn is on a great stretch of beach and is within walking distance to lots of restaurants, bars and shopping.

St. Martin, I think, might also be a good choice for you. Lots to do, lots of restaurants and accommodations in all price ranges and one of my favorite beaches anywhere, Orient Beach. On our last trip there we had a good time watching a group of U.S. sailors who were clearly having a grand time.

The St. Lawrence Gap area of Barbados is the more active area of the island with the west coast being quieter. Barbados can be pricey but there are a few all-inclusives.

If you're interested in snorkeling then the Virgin Islands might be a good bet. I'm really only familiar with St. John and Tortola but there are some stunning beaches in the Virgin Islands. Cruz Bay on St. John is a cute downtown with some restaurants, shopping and bars. There's a little bit of nightlife. The nice thing about being in the USVI's or the BVI's is that you can easily reach a few other islands via ferry for day trips. If you have an opportunity to go to Jost Van Dyke you shouldn't pass it up. White powder sand and Foxy's and the Soggy Dollar Bar. Be sure to have a painkiller or three.

blamona Sep 17th, 2013 03:40 AM

I just have to say, thank you for serving!

On a different note, based on your age and wanting AI, I think Playa Del Carmen will fit nicely.

(don't get me wrong, Turks and Caicos is one of my favorite spots on earth, but I think Mexico will do better for you)

And a tip: some places give military discounts if you ask for it

diann24 Sep 17th, 2013 03:46 AM

Yes by all means skip Turks and Caicos. A gorgeous beach but that was about it for me. Let me tell you I am a lot older than 20's-30's range!!! I was ready to come home to winter after a week in T&C. That is how bored I was!! You don't mention your timeframe or budget?

The above info is great. Thanks also for your service. Have a safe and fun time whatever you decide to do. I think timeframe and budget will determine your choice.

KVR Sep 17th, 2013 06:24 AM

Just as a FYI, I have stayed at the Holiday Inn on Aruba and did their AI plan. Don't do it. The hotel is too family friendly and the food was really bad. AI in Aruba is not worth it. There are way too many restaurants and bars in all price ranges.