Notices

Best Marriott property on St. Thomas

Sep 1st, 2013, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Best Marriott property on St. Thomas

Hello all!

Planning a family vacation for my 40th next year and have settled on St. Thomas- due to the ease in getting there (nonstop from ATL) and because our young daughter will be with us, it seems there are lots of fun family things to do, as well as beautiful beaches, good restaurants, some cultural activities and easy ferry access to island hop to St. John or Tortolla for the day.
We plan to use Marriott points for our stay and are leaning toward either the Ritz Carlton or the Morning Star Beach Resort.
Have read lots of reviews on these properties but thought I would post here to see if anyone had any thoughts.
This will be a first time trip to the Virgin Islands for our entire family.
Any advice is appreciated! Thanks in advance
Cheers
Sep 3rd, 2013, 03:17 PM

The Ritz is closer to the Red Hook ferry (to St John and the BVI) as well as many day boats out of American Yacht Harbor. It is close to the restaurants of Red Hook. However, I think that their restaurants are very overpriced (on an island of overpriced stuff!) and the beaches are okay.

The Reef sits up on a promontory overlooking the harbor with great views, two pools. Morning Star is a nice beach, and there will be other children. There is a water taxi to take you into town and many restaurant options.

Either way, recommend that you rent a car as both are fairly remote, although you can walk to the Elysian from the Ritz.
Sep 27th, 2013, 10:00 AM

I was just at Morning Star last month and visited the Ritz for lunch. If you can get the Ritz, I would take it in a heartbeat!! The Marriott is very, very worn. In dire need of renovation, particularly the pools and exterior of the buildings. While I did not stay at the Ritz, everything I saw was perfect and I thought the pool, beach was stunning.

Btw, we rented a jeep to explore the island and it was great!
Sep 27th, 2013, 07:12 PM

If you have the $ honey the Ritz has the time and you will have the time of your life. Expensive?, yes but oh my!!! there is a beach restaurant (casual) that is not too dear.Youy can ewalk down to the Elysian and eat at the beach bar or the dining room. Again not the end of the world $ wise. All of STT is costly. Cabs are readily available at The Ritz and there used to be a shuttle/bus/safari vehicle from The Elysian to town but getting back can often be a problem as the cab drivers want to ferry cruise people about rather than go so far out. Red Hook is accessible by cab and the ferry is running often. Parking is a problem at Red Hook. How we love the island away from Char. Am.!!!

Search this Thread