Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Best Marriott or Hilton in the Caribbean (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/best-marriott-or-hilton-in-the-caribbean-923287/)

girlonthego Feb 9th, 2012 05:06 AM

Best Marriott or Hilton in the Caribbean

Looking ahead to next winter break for our family. We will have time at christmas time to spend a week away on an island. We will have two college kids. Can be before christmas or new years week as well.
Have points at Marriott and Hilton for a free week. What in your opinion is the best resort Marriott or Hilton in the Caribbean?
Have been to Aruba Marriott -twice and that is a nice way to spend points, but DH wants to go somewhere he hasn't been.
Been to Cayman Marriott-small but nice. Been to Caribe Hilton Puerto Rico.

Need a new island and resort to try out. I have also looked at the Hilton Cabo San Lucas. That seems far enough away from the troubled areas of Mexico. Any one been to this resort? Also, Costa Rica might be a thought. there is a big Marriott there...

Looking at the Virgin Islands, there is the frenchman's reef on St Thomas. It says it has had a large renovation. Has anyone stayed there recently? I have heard negative reviews concerning the staff there being not that friendly...
Curacao Marriott is showing no availability for points at christmas time...not sure if it is too early or already booked.
There is a hilton Barbados... ? Anyone And last there is a new marriott on a private island in the british islands, but not sure if that is a couples retreat or not, all king sized beds.
Thanks all!
Oh me and the girls like to relax on the beach. DH is go go go with wanting to do stuff. So, a mix of some beach time and some activities would be good.

ruwithme Feb 9th, 2012 06:35 AM

Hi girlonthego, in the u.s. lounge there is a good thread related to your question, it's listed below:

Where is your favorite place, in U.S. and in world, to use Hilton points?

Caribzack Feb 9th, 2012 06:47 AM

St Kitts Marriot is very nice, we went when it 1st opened!

rattravlers Feb 9th, 2012 06:59 AM

I like the Costa Rica properties a lot & it would definitely off you a different vacation. The JW Marriott Guanacaste is gorgeous. Los Suenos is superb as well & if you have to fly in/out San Jose, a night at the San Jose Marriott is really beautiful...on a coffee plantation a couple miles to airport...you'd never know you were in or near a city.

sassy_cat Feb 9th, 2012 08:01 AM

We've enjoyed the Waikoloa Beach Marriott in Hawaii over Thanksgiving twice and last Christmas we spent a couple of nights at the JW Marriott in Cancun (I did write a short trip report).
The JW has one of the best Marriott pools I've been to.

St.Kitts has a local carnival, jouvert at that time of year. It's a wild time! The Marriott wasn't even built when I left the island 20+years ago!

You're right to start planning for a stay with points. Don't leave it too late to book

girlonthego Feb 9th, 2012 09:36 AM

ruwithme, did you choose a hilton yet? the hiltons in hawaii, in my opinion are the best bang for your miles. I have stayed at the hilton hawaiian village and the hilton waikoloa. Both were great. The waikoloa one was huge with tons of stuff going on!
I have always wanted to go and use points at the one on Maui. It is the Grand Wailea. Spectacular hotel but would suck up a lot of points.
My family was wanting to go caribbean because it is closer to us on the east coast. I would go back to hawaii in a heart beat.

rattravels, how is the beach near the JW in costa rica? I have thought about costa rica because it would offer some cool stuff to do and the beach relaxing part too.
I am wary of mexico because of all the problems with drug cartels and such and my college aged kids are girls. Don't want to feel unsafe. I did like the look of the hilton los cabos online. Not sure if there is anything around that though.
It is nice to have points. DH's family was talking about going to florida and DH said we can all go to disney on christmas day...I would rather stick needles in my eyes! I like the idea of relaxing on a resort and maybe doing a couple of excursions. Have been to disney several times. I am not interested.

doug_stallings Feb 9th, 2012 11:07 AM

For Marriott, I'd say Scrub Island, a private island in the BVI, reachable by a short ferry ride from Tortola.

For Hilton, I actually really like the Hilton Barbados, and it's in a good location near great beaches and close to the airport and Bridgetown.

I'm excluding Mexico and Costa Rica from the mix since I think you want an island. But Cancun has some very good properties, though I'm not as familiar with them.

sassy_cat Feb 9th, 2012 11:33 AM

The Marriott on Scrub Island looks wonderful!
A huge chunk of points though as standard rooms only allow for 2 guests. A one bedroom suite that sleeps 4 is 240,000 points at Christmas but as the room rate is over a $1000 a night that's a good deal.

Airfare/long flights would make me pause though

girlonthego Feb 9th, 2012 11:58 AM

Is Scrub Island a couple's type place? I hesitated when I saw only king sized beds. I can get a two room suite for the 240,000 for a week. I would hate to bring my two teenage girls to a couples type of place. Otherwise, I also think it looks gorgeous and definitely a good point user.

sassy_cat Feb 9th, 2012 01:26 PM

Here's a thread with some more details that might help

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...caribbean.html

I do think the Scrub Island Marriott looks like it's geared towards couples. It's looks a little remote and quiet for teens.

doug_stallings Feb 9th, 2012 02:21 PM

Scrub isn't is popular with both couples and families, but the real draw is the beach and water; if the teens are into that or snorkeling, then it's an ideal place (but for a larger family definitely one of the villas). The appeal for teens is not going to be the nightlife, so if you are looking for nightlife, I think you're betting off with the Ritz-Carlton on St. Thomas (for Marriott points). There will be more to do there or at the La Concha or Ritz-Carlton in San Juan.

qwovadis Feb 10th, 2012 12:11 AM

http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Featur.../Caribbean.htm
St Thomas USVI #1 for nice quality experience with teens lots to do diving shopping not as isloated. Hotel quality superior to all else.Also easy flights for me from the US no passport required. Ritz in Cancun beautiful more exotic my #1 there best flight deals for me aa.comor spirit.com .For me the Ritzes are a cut above the others if you have points to burn which I frequently do 70000 currently with the new no fee Marriott.com Chase CC first use. Happy Hunting!

qwovadis Feb 10th, 2012 12:16 AM

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/ritz...rdsOverview.mi

girlonthego Feb 10th, 2012 04:59 AM

Thanks! I have a lot more hilton points than marriott. The ritz requires too many. I could probably stay at frenchmen's reef in St. Thomas.That has been newly renovated, but I heard the staff is just not friendly at all. Anyone else experience this?
Looked at La Concha in PR. I dont think DH would go back to PR.We have been there a few times and he wants somewhere new.. Have to think about all this. I would love to go to Maui because we have enough points for the Grand Wailea which is a fabulous hotel, but DH complains we have already been to hawaii.. men. I say there is never too much hawaii...

sassy_cat Feb 10th, 2012 05:30 AM

gotg, I agree with you regarding Hawaii... luckily my husband loves it too!
We're off to Maui soon and staying at the Marriott Wailea, can't wait! :)

Hey, you're doing the research so just tell your DH the truth.. Maui is the best place to use your points! ;)

doug_stallings Feb 10th, 2012 06:20 AM

How about Curacao then? There's a nice Hilton there, and there is probably enough nightlife to satisfy the teens.

sharona Feb 10th, 2012 07:43 AM

I haven't stayed at the Hilton Barbados but I've been to Barbados and I think it might be a good choice if you are looking for things to do outside the resort. Plus Barbados is far enough south to have consistently good beach weather in the dead of winter. We've been to some northern islands as late as mid-March and it's sometimes been too cool to get in the water.

Barbados is also easy to reach and the Hilton is pretty close to the airport. It still has a very British culture and that might be a nice change from some of the other islands you've visited.

ruwithme Feb 12th, 2012 08:52 AM

Yes, gotg we finally settled on pr (el con). How can planning a relaxing vacation be so stressful!! We were going to choose hawaii but our spring break and time off work didn't allow for 10 days away and i really want to be able to spend at least ten days there (we are from east coast too), so hopefully 2013 we will be able to experience hawaii!

Curious if you ever stayed at el con in pr ?

girlonthego Feb 12th, 2012 01:42 PM

No we never stayed at there. It looks nice. I didn't even realize that was a hilton brand! You do really need at least 10 days going to hawaii to make the flight worth it. I would even say 2 weeks is better if you can take it off.

On Barbados, I have read the beaches have lots of people selling stuff constantly. If that is true, that is a turn off for me.
Nightlife doesn't have to be big for the girls. I actually don't mind a lower key nightlife. I don't really need my then 18 and 20 year olds partying it up too much. Trying to teach moderation and some control.

Doug, curacao seems hard to get to from richmond va. Also, barbados is tough. We fly delta/continental or usair a lot using points for some of the flights.