Bight's Reef

Old Jan 19th, 2007, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bight's Reef

OR Beach in Providenciales...where is it?

Thanks!
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 05:54 AM

IN Turtle Cove. Make a right turn by Sharkbite restaurant and go across the bridge toward the water. Road bears to the left past houses. Go all the way to the end.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 03:49 PM

i thought the bight reef is the reef at coral gardens resort and the one past turtle cove is smith's reef?
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 06:06 PM

whitehouse reef is the one at coral gardens. smith's reef is near turtle cove marina. i THINK the bight reef would be near aqua marine beach houses?
adding to howard's direction for smith's. park in the sandy lot and then walk back on the beach til you come to the rock carin.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 06:45 PM

I also thought Bight reef is the one in front of CG. That's what the dive shops call it. The one in front of aquamarine I call John's reef. LOL.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 07:17 PM

I agree... I also thought Bight's Reef was at Coral Garden. I'm almost certain it is as I remember following the signs on Leeward Highway heading the direction toward the airport.
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 02:34 AM

well isn't this the most enjoyable debate in years. this from tcimall (seems to indicated that bight reef and coral gardens are not the same):
"There is a movement toward creating artificial coral reefs in the waters of Grace Bay, Providenciales. Pictured here is a newer one placed in the Bight. These protective homes for juvenile fish are also seen at Smith's Reef, just outside of Turtle Cove and at the snorkel site in front of Coral Gardens, also known as the "snorkel trails"."
as memory serves - where CG hotel is now, used to stand a large white private home thus whitehouse reef.
i think we can take mymoosie's word on st. john reef as she stayed at aqua houses!
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

When we were there last year, we were told of a place that was near a grouping of pines, between Coral Gardens and Smiths (that's a lot of area to cover, but this local gentleman swore it was great snorkeling there) and I wonder if that isn't Bights?

We were not such fans of the Coral Gardens, as we couldn't go over the reef, although the turtles were delightful, as was the huge nurse shark we saw each morning at the back side of the reef.

Smith's, however, was wonderful. Squadrons of eagle rays, nurse sharks, huge tangs...very very nice each time out!

We were told by this gentleman that Bights was just as good...but...how to find it. Do you think someone at the visitors bureau would have an answer?

Thank you all for your input.

My only complaint about Smiths...by the way, was the glass bottom boat operator that came within the designated "no go" area twice in our several trips out there. Grrrrrrrr

I will absolutely check out the area near the aquamarine beach houses.

Thanks again.