Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Best Island to go to for Day Trip from St. Thomas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 02:03 PM
vicki

Hello!<BR><BR>We will be going to St. Thomas in May, and would like to take a day trip to either St. John or the BVI's. I have a couple of questions regarding this:<BR><BR>1) We want to do the best snorkeling possible, and also see some of the island we choose (maybe a little hiking too). Which island do you think is the best for all of this?<BR><BR>2) How should we go about getting there? Is is better to do this on our own by taking the ferry from St. Thomas, or by going on one of the chartered boat trips I have read a little about?<BR><BR>3) If a chartered boat trip is best, who would you recommend?<BR><BR>Thanks so much for the help in advance!!!

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 06:48 PM
RichF

If you want great snorkeling and hiking, definetly go to St. John. It is so close and easy to get to from STT. You take a cheap ferry either from downtown Charlotte Amalie or redhook. To get to Redhook, you need to take a $1 dollar bus or taxi from downtown. You can't go wrong with Trunk Bay , but either Caneel Bay or Hawksnest Bay are great alternatives. For the best hiking take the Ram's Head hike from Salt Pond Bay. Another option is take the Solomon/Honeymoon Bay hike from Cruz Bay - just ask at the ranger station near the ferry. <BR><BR>Your other option is Virgin Gorda, however you should save that for the next trip - no time. Enjoy St. John.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 07:19 PM
GM

Rich F's post noted pretty much everything. Just wanted to add 'Cinnamon Bay' to the beach list; however, my hubby likes Trunk Bay the best for the snorkeling.<BR><BR>Have a great time - you won't be disappointed.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 05:11 PM
vicki

Hey guys!!<BR><BR>Thanks you so much for the help and advice - we are going to go to St. John for the day, nice and early and stay until after dinner. This way we can see as much as possible.<BR><BR>We may (and I stress MAY, but hubby really wants to...) go on a chartered snorkeling trips that sails from STT to Tortola and Virgin Gorda, and sails around the islands. I say we only do this if we are not rushing to put it in, or short on cash either!!<BR><BR>Thanks again!!! Keep in touch!!! Vicki

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 07:03 PM
GM

Just FYI, our 1 day charter for a 40 person yacht cost us $150 for us both, that included beer / snacks /wine coolers / 'Stingers' (no lunch) and the charter will include snorkel equipt for those that want it. It went from 8am - 5pm. We did that out to the BVI- Virgin Gorda/the Baths, then Norman Island, Jost Van Dyke, 'the Indians' (4 rock structures that are just standing straight up, out of the water, but go very deep down). My hubby loves to dive/snorkel; he had a BALL on that charter.<BR><BR>Enjoy!

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 08:26 PM
fyi

You may want to contact some of the 6 pack charters (no more than 6 people) to sail to Jost van Dyke with snorkeling stops at Sandy Spit and Lovongo and Congo Cays. You'll take a power boat to Virgin Gorda for the Baths with a couple of snorkle stops depending on the excursion. Usually the snorkeling is done at the Indians, the Caves of Norman Island and a lunch stop at wonderful Cooper Island. If you try to do too many stops and too many islands, you don't have much time to spend anywhere and really enjoy.