Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Best island in the Carribbean for laidback adults?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2005, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not really adults, per say, as my husband and I are in our late 20s, but we are looking for a nice, laidback, not super commercial island(s) to spend a week or two in the winter/spring.

Any advice would be great, including hotel/villa/vacation rental suggestions for your top pick!

Thanks,
Jen
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 02:12 AM

Be prepared to hear that every island will be what you are looking for!
My choice is St Kitts / Nevis.
In so many ways, what the Caribbean was.............
Go now as it is on the cusp of becoming what everywhere else is.
Every type of accommodation is there, but why so many become enchanted by these islands are the welcoming nature of the people.
The other possibility may be Montseratt.
This island has dropped off the tourist map since the eruption of the volcano in the 90's.
It has always been on a travelers map though and the new airport just opened last week.
I think that anyone would be so welcome there by the locals.
Those are my .02's
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 03:12 AM

Dominica
Isla Mujeres, Mexico - Cabanas Maria del Mar
Tulum, Mexico - Los Lirios, Ana y Jose
Provo, Turks and Caicos - The Sands
Negril, Jamaica - Idle Awhile
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 03:16 AM

The Out Islands of the Bahamas are great if you are looking for a super casual, super secluded, off-the-beaten path adventure -- though even some of those islands are getting more discovered than others (e.g. Harbour Island, the Abacos, the Exumas with their new Four Seasons resort). The less "discovered" of the islands include Eleuthera, Cat Island, Long Island and Andros. My current favorite is Fernandez Bay Village on Cat Island, but Tiamo on Andros and Cape Santa Maria on Long Island are on my very short "to do" list. Wherever you go in the Out Islands, be prepared for a few things: (a) it will be somewhat challenging to get there, (b) the beaches are spectacular and largely empty, (c) amenities are few, and (d) the islanders will welcome you.

Belize is also a great destination for laid back ease. Ambergris Caye is the main destination -- even as it gets more popular, it's still got a very barefoot vibe. Caye Caulker is even moreso, and attracts a very young (read: backpackers) crowd. Further down the coast, it's even less traveled. You can combine a coastal adventure with a visit to the interior for jungles, caves, etc. It's a remarkable eco-tourism destination with great historical interest as well. And the local rum and beer are pretty darn good.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 03:27 AM
ccc

Vieques. Stay at Hix Island House, Hacienda Tamarindo, or Inn on the Blue Horizon. The Navy, which controlled something like 75% of the island, left a couple of years ago. All of the Navy land is now a nature preserve, the largest in the Caribbean. The most incredible beaches you'll ever see are on this island, with nothing and nobody on them. Wild horses are everywhere. To top it all off, there's a spectacular bioluminescent bay.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 03:46 AM

The South Coast/Treasure Beach area (www.treasurebeach.net) or the Port Antonio area of Jamaica (a very biased view, natch). Also: Los Roques islands
off ABCs/Venezuela; Bocas del Toro island/mainland area of Caribbean Panama--both relatively unknoqn and outside any commercialization.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the responses. I'm going to do a little digging on the places listed here today -- while at work, don't tell!

Please feel free to list additional responses, however. Need something to keep me busy, since it seems everyone that I work with took the week of for the holiday.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 06:56 AM

Jen - I would suggest Nevis as a PP did. It is very laid back, small place. Friendly people, great restaurants, beautiful lush island. I just got back from 2 weeks. My mom lives there, so I am lucky enough to get to visit a lot. I have been traveling to the Caribbean for 30 years and it is one of my favorite places.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 07:53 AM

Anguilla is a quiet, laid back island with some of the best beaches (33) in the world, wonderful restaraunts (80) both casual on the beach and fancy, and accomodations in just about every price range including villas (1-5 or more bedrooms). The people there are incredibly welcoming. Have fun planning!
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 08:09 AM

Jamaica...Negril (Whistling Bird) or Treasure Beach (Calabash House) or Duncans (Silver Sands Resort)

Turks and Caicos...Provo (Comfort Suites)

Grenada....Blue Horizon

British Virgin Islands....Tortola (stayed at Prospect Reef Resort 1988 and 1989).
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 08:21 AM

What about San Andres Islands ???? They belong to Colombia , but are actually just a bit south of Jamaica . Correct me if I am wrong , but believe they are English speaking .... something along the lines of Honduras Bay Islands (Roatan etc. ) Much lower crime rate than Colombia , needless to say . Any input Tiv. ??? Faith .
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 08:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
St. John.
I am surprised no one has mentioned it. Laid back and beautiful.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 02:35 PM

I'd suggest CocodiMama on Eleuthera as what you might be looking for.

There is an excellent restaurant on site and miles of deserted beach.

The website is www.cocodimama.com. Someone else from the board stayed there recently on my recommendation and loved it.

Have a great time.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 03:35 PM

.......thats' roughly 25 locations, so far.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 03:56 PM

Taking into consideration the factors that are important to you in determining a good vacation spot, and since Christie is in St. John this week, I'm going to give a vote for her and myself for the island of Kauai. They will manage to give you everything you are looking for.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 05:06 PM

Eleuthera is fabulous if you are looking to be on the beach all alone, pink sand and nice restaurants.Rentals houses on vrbo.com, vacationrentals.com and lots of other websites. Also check eleu.net for hotels.
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 02:10 AM

Peter Island Beach Resort- BVI
Virgin Gorda - Little Dix Bay - BVI
St. John - Caneel Bay
Also have to recommend the island of Lanai in Hawaii - Lodge at Koele and Manale Bay!!! Have fun planning!!
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 03:40 AM

Anguilla
Turks and Caicos (especially Grand Turk)
Out Islands in Bahamas: Abacos, Exumas, Harbour Island, Eluetheura, Long Island
Belize (Ambergis Cay)
Roatan in Honduras
Grenadines in St. Vincent and the Granadines
Viesques and Culebra off of Puerto Rico

I love them all, but my favorite for laid back feel is Exumas. I like staying at Peace and Plenty, they have a water taxi to Stocking Island, which is spectacular, but it's also the Hub of the island.
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 08:57 AM

Rent a villa or condo for the two of you in St. John U.S.V.I. Very laid back. You can go to a four star restaurant in t-shirt and shorts, lounge on the pristine beaches, hang out in the waterfront bars, go on daytrips to other islands, and hike the gorgeous national park.
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 11:42 AM

OK, here's my suggestons. Curacao for one would suit your needs. Its just plain laid back. To pique your interest in another direction google "Young island" which is part of St. Vincents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -