Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page > Best Island/Hotel for Anniversary Trip in November...
Notices

Best Island/Hotel for Anniversary Trip in November...

Jul 4th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Original Poster

Best Island/Hotel for Anniversary Trip in November...

Hi, my husband and I are looking to visit the Caribbean in November to celebrate our 12 year wedding anniversary. We are looking to spend about $4000 on airfare and hotel and will be flying from Houston. We keep going round and round as to where we want to go. We want beautiful beaches but don't want to be in a completely remote area. We like to go eat great food and sometimes like to do outdoorsy stuff like hiking, kayaking, jet skiing, etc. We were looking into St. Lucia or Bahamas but are looking for recommendation as it is overwhelming as to the number of locations... Any suggestions? We are open to suggestions on island/hotel...

Thanks!!
Hope
Jul 5th, 2012, 02:17 AM

Well, since you've indicated a desire for either the Bahamas or St. Lucia no wonder you are confused as you've only narrowed your parameters down to about 800 different islands or cays. Even if you only count the larger island in the Bahamas you still are considering well over 20 islands. You should also know that the any of the Bahamas islands are vastly different from St. Lucia.

The basic difference is St. Lucia is a large, mountainous, lush island with cove like dark sand beaches while all of the Bahamas Islands are relatively flat, dry, arid and scrubby with long strands of white, light golden or pinkish sand beaches.

So, you'll first have to decide do you want to visit a lush mountainous island with darker sand beaches or a flat, arid island with lighter sand beaches. You can't have both given the islands on your list. Also, since you can go hiking, kyacking and jet skiing on just about every island I would let that be a deciding factor.

Regarding hotels/ resorts - it is difficult to give you suggestions without knowing how much you'll have left in your budget after deducting for airfare. Depending on where you go airfare can cost you anywhere from $500 to $800 per person flying out of Houston.

Now, generally speaking you can find hotels/resorts in many different price ranges on just about every island so I suggest you first pick and island that YOU like then look for reorts in your budget.
Jul 5th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips! I will do some more research and figure out where we really want to go... decisions, decisions

Search this Thread