Best island for villas - 2 families with kids

Old Sep 10th, 1998, 07:27 AM
Bill

Best island for villas - 2 families with kids

After several years of sharing a beach house for a week on the North Carolina shore with another family, I want to propose a similar setup in a rather different locale: the Carribean.
Each family has two boys aged 8 and 13, with the age-mates sharing a bedroom, so we're looking at 4 bedrooms. Walking distance to a nice beach would be a definite plus, though a place in the hills with a pool is also do-able. While the adults would probably be happy to veg for the whole week, it would be good if there were some things for the kids to do (old fort to explore; hikes; sailing excursion, etc.) Priorities are nice beaches and good snorkling. Friendly people are also a big plus.
The islands that come to mind are St. John, Tortola, St. Lucia, Grenada, Caymans, and Anguilla.
Any suggestions appreciated.

Old Sep 10th, 1998, 10:15 AM
Jocelyn

Hi Bill,

I know of several villas in Negril Jamaica. One is right on the famous 7 mile beach in Negril. The villa is beautiful and has it's own little private section of beach, once you step out of the front gate you are there at the ocean. There are many watersports and tours available nearby. Up on the cliffs of negril there a two other Villas that are very unique. One of them has 2 private beaches and a natural tennis court. The other is in a very rustic, natural setting. You can email me for more datails at [email protected].

Old Sep 10th, 1998, 01:03 PM
waggie

There are many, many villas on St. John, and you can find some that are reasonably-priced and cheaper than staying at a resort. Cayman seems to have more condos than villas and the prices for both on Cayman appear to be much higher than on St. John. Grand Cayman, however, is a great island, and we cannot wait to return there. I've been looking into Anguilla for our next trip, and from what I've seen, their villa prices are also significantly higher than St. John's.

We just returned from our first trip to St. John in July, and I think that this island, from what you have described as your needs and wants, has everything you are looking for. We had a fabulous time! See my post entitled "St. John Villas or Condos" where I list several websites for villa rental companies. We used www.st-john.com/homerentals, but I think they all have a pretty good rep. Good luck!

Old Sep 10th, 1998, 05:41 PM
Kathy

I have done a lot of this villa searching lately. My husband and I are going to Anguilla in November. This island seems to be more suited to couples, honeymooners, however families are welcome--there just aren't a lot of kids.

I would seriously consider St. John or Virgin Gorda for this trip. Many villas that are lovely with pools in those two islands, plus great snorkeling and beaches, casual restaurants--what more could you ask for. I am planning this for a family trip.

I liked the Caymans but wasn't that crazy about the experience to go back. Not a really Caribbean atmosphere. Almost like being in Ft. Lauderdale or Key West. Very expensive for not great dinners.

I don't know much about Grenada, but I don't think there are many beaches there.

Only other places I would suggest you look into are Turks and Caicos and Bonaire. Great snorkeling, I understand.

Hope this helps, Kathy

Old Sep 13th, 1998, 08:17 PM
Cheryl

Bill,
My suggestion is BARBADOS ! Beautiful, safe, clean, family oriented and affordable. Suggest you try villa "SEA SYMPHONY". It's off the beaten track but absolutely wonderful. I have been a fan of Barbados since the late 80's and have spent my last two visits (10/97 and 5/98) at SEA SYMPHONY. It has 6 bedrooms, 8 baths, pool, satellite TV,VCRs,CD,Cassette, 20 yards from beach,car or van (your choice(Kathy-the-cook,Melanie-the-Maid and "Slims" (all-around handyman and great kid). Check out their website and tell Hugh and Dorothy that Cheryl from DC sent you. I guarantee you will love it. >

Old Sep 15th, 1998, 05:45 AM
Sara Cushman

I have just returned from Grenada, there are numerous beautiful beaches, however, wherever you stay, it is hard to get around to other areas. Roads are not great and taxis are expensive. From everything I've read, if you are looking for a villa, I would look into St. Johns try www.caribbeanvilla.com.

Old Sep 16th, 1998, 04:01 AM
Bob M

I think you would love Bequia. If interested contact Judy Simmons at [email protected].

Bob

Old Sep 16th, 1998, 04:52 AM
Patrick

St. John- It is american and health concerns are less with kids-when we camped at cinammon Bay we all drank the water and did for many years-no problems. There are a lot of villa choices- go to stjohnusvi.com and look in the accomodations section-there are about ten villa rental people or agencies-all are supposed to be reliableand they will send you info. The only down side is that some villas can be difficult to get to- the roads can be scarry in some sections , especiially at night. The chocolate area is well developed.

Old Sep 17th, 1998, 04:56 PM
jd

Bill,
You really ought to check out Tortola. My wife and I go there regularly and while we don't rent a villa for just the 2 of us, I've always been impressed by the variety available, many of which are in the 4 BR range you seek. Tortola is the best snorkling location we've ever visited and we've been to 28 countries by my count. There are a number of day-sail excursions on Tortola that take you to secluded bays on deserted islands. The snorkling sites there are quite excellent. I could recommend a particular excursion if you're interested. A second point is the friendliness of the people coupled with a very, very low incidence of crime. We've only encountered friendly, courteous people very willing to help you out, give directions, etc. A third point is the fact that the extraordinary vistas there are unmarred by masses of tourists. Most who visit Tortola are divers and sailors and, as you know, they spend their time on the water, not cluttering the beaches. We go in May and, typically, there's about 1 person per 100 yd of beach. For villas, one web site to check is bviwelcome.com. I'd be happy to provide more info if you want. Just write direct.

Old Sep 20th, 1998, 07:15 AM
Cathy

Bill-
Although it is not one of the islands you mentioned as a possibility, I agree with Cheryl, and recommend Barbados. Of the 13 islands I've been to, I have returned to this one 17 times. I find the people to be the friendliest in the Caribbean, and very safe. I have often traveled there alone as a young woman in my 20's and early 30's, and now married would not hesitate to bring children there. Try these websites for more info: http://www.gobeach.com/barbados/barbados.htm (for the beautiful, though not inexpensive villas) and www.barbados.org or www.funbarbados.com for other hotel/villa listings. Whatever you do, good luck. Sounds like a wonderful trip!

Old Sep 20th, 1998, 02:34 PM
Carol Morris

We spent 4 days on Grand Cayman with our 14 yr-old son. He was BORED. When he wasn't diving, there was nothing to do. Aside from the fact that the island is British and they drive on the left, you would think you were at any resort in the US. Also, VERY overpriced, and nothing exotic.