Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Best island for 20 month old toddler and 26 week pregnant self (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/best-island-for-20-month-old-toddler-and-26-week-pregnant-self-1077807/)

jenchen223 Nov 9th, 2015 12:12 PM

Best island for 20 month old toddler and 26 week pregnant self

I'm insisting on getting one more "real" vacation in before we become crazed parents of 2 kids under 2 years old. We hope to take an easy trip to the Caribbean for 4-5 days between Christmas and New Year's. Something with:

1. Decent medical care - everyone is healthy, but just in case my toddler or my pregnancy require medical attention, and

2. Kid friendly - 20 month olds can't do much, so water slides, etc. won't appeal, but maybe a play area or good daycare facilities or someone dressed as Elmo, etc. Where a toddler making a mess with food will be tolerated, where one can get tasty dinner (momma's got to eat and likes good food) at 5:30/6pm, where adults won't give us evil looks if my toddler suddenly decides that tropical paradise is too offensive to her.

Final requirement... that it's a direct flight from Philadelphia! I believe I can fly to the following: Aruba, Bermuda, Cancun, Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Bahamas, Turks & Caicos, Dominican Republic, St. Maarten, Puerto Rico.

Your advice much appreciated - thank you!

RoamsAround Nov 9th, 2015 01:38 PM

The biggest hurdle you'll face is finding a resort that will allow you to stay only 4 or 5 days between Christmas and New Years. Most resorts and hotels have minimum stay requirements (anywhere from 7 to 14 days) during that period.

Check out some of the "condo resorts" on Providenciales in the Turks & Caicos - they are perfect for families with toddlers. Look at Ocean Club or Ocean Club West for starters.

There are also dozens of "condo resorts" on Grand Cayman, again another very family friendly destination.

blamona Nov 9th, 2015 03:24 PM

Beaches Resort at Turks and Caicos has Elmo, etc, very family friendly (although most dinners start 6, 6:30)

Another hurdle is that majority of Caribbean is sold out at Christmas, especially islands with your criteria (Health care, food that won't make you sick, etc)

TCI has doctors that still make house calls!

But TCI is pretty much sold out

Being pregnant, I personally would avoid DR (every ends up with tummy issues) maybe even Mexico, where you'd still find availability

A condo might work better, TCI and Caymans are both great choices for that--but make dinner reservations as soon as you book, restaurants are selling out too

(For ex at TCI, Coco Bistro is already reserved Dec 19-Jan 2 already!)

jenchen223 Nov 10th, 2015 04:44 PM

You're kidding! I was just thinking that if we did Turks & Caicos again that we should visit Coco Bistro.

I know we're late to the game in terms of finding something for that week, but I didn't think it would be sold out.

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll look for these "condo resorts" - if anyone has any to recommend other than Ocean Club and Beaches, please let me know!

WWK Nov 11th, 2015 04:53 AM

Without knowing your budget it's hard to make recommendations.

We always stay at THE VENETIAN, which is on a very quiet and wide section of beach. The units are really gorgeous with every possible amenity, but as Blamona said, many places on TCI will have been sold out for that time period long ago.

Next door is THE TUSCANY, sister property of THE VENETIAN. Both of these properties are very family friendly.

You could also check out WEST BAY CLUB and THE SANDS.

About other islands: I love Jamaica, but wouldn't go there when pregnant. I'd also skip Dominican Republic and Cancun, for the same ( tummy, so-so medical care) reasons.

Aruba would be fine, but it's a longish ( over 4 hours) flight. They do have decent medical care. We've stayed many times at THE RADISSON, which is on a less crowded part of the beach.

You could also look at MARRIOT OCEAN CLUB, a time-share development that has units with small kitchens, etc.

However, availability may be very limited ( or nothing left at all) in most destinations. Good luck!

jenchen223 Nov 12th, 2015 08:39 AM

Thanks, everyone - I think we're giving up on Christmas and will try over MLK weekend instead. Will look into these recs - thanks!