Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   BEST HONEYMOON DESTINATION? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/best-honeymoon-destination-501216/)

rachieh Feb 4th, 2005 01:06 PM

BEST HONEYMOON DESTINATION?

We can't seem to decide. After reading and reading about all the different islands, we still aren't sure where we'd like to go! We'll be honeymooning in early June of this year.

Here are some of the things we're looking for:
-Nothing too over the top, but, definitely nice and relaxing.
-Relaxation and recreation. We don't want to be too secluded and can't see ourselves lounging on the beach all day. But would love to have nice beaches to walk along and swim/snorkel in. Looking for an island that would give us best of both worlds.
-a romantic place, where there will be nice people, good food and fun.

Any island recommendations? Hotel/Resort recommendations? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!?!

chocaholic Feb 4th, 2005 03:51 PM

Try Sandals St.Lucia

xkenx Feb 4th, 2005 04:13 PM

Have you been to the Caribbean before, and what are you planning to spend on a room?

rachieh Feb 7th, 2005 12:51 PM

No. This is our first time visiting the Caribbean. We have narrowed it down to a few islands. Could you help us pick?

Aruba, St. Lucia, Anguilla, Antigua, Martinique, St. John

sharkdiver49 Feb 7th, 2005 02:33 PM

All nice choices, it just depends on what you are looking for while you are away!

sharkdiver49 Feb 7th, 2005 02:40 PM

and what your budget is.

My wife and I where at Sandles Grande in November, it was nice but the beaches and water wasn't as nice as T & C or Aruba, which we just returned from a few weeks ago. I highly recomend T & C.

oceanic Feb 7th, 2005 03:34 PM

I would suggest spending some down time in ANguilla which has many great beaches and very quiet. Then fly over to St. Barts and have more fun. St. Barts has great beaches, however you can be topless on the beach. The food is fantastic on both islands. Just 15 minutes away. Here is an opportunity to get the best of 2 EU islands (Britsih & French). Whatever you decide have Fun!!!

zachsarbean1 Feb 8th, 2005 04:54 AM

My husband and I honeymooned in St.John a year and a half ago. We stayed at Gallow's and loved it! It was my third time there and his first. We had such a great, relaxing vacation that we will be going back this summer and renting a villa. Gallows is in definate walking distance to town where you can get a taxi just about anywhere for about 10 dollars a couple (if you don't want to rent a vehicle). The locals are all very friendly. You don't get hastled or anything. Gallows has beautiful views of St.Thomas and great kitchens if you feel like staying in and cooking. We like 7D because it had a great view and was close to the grill so my husband could cook! The restaurant at Gallows (ZoZo's Restaurant) is wonderful. We actually bring food down with us so that we don't feel it necessary to go out for every meal. If you are looking for a more hotel feel, there is a Westin Resort, but I have heard that there are alot of families with children that stay there. If your budget can work with it, Caneel Bay is a pricey possibility. In St.John, during the day you can walk around town, go off to a beach, or even hop on the ferry to St.Thomas to do some shopping (there is shopping on st.john, but not alot). If you need more info, let me know!

zachsarbean1 Feb 8th, 2005 04:55 AM

ps- my friends honeymooned in Antigua at the newer Sandels resort and were not impressed (I was actually surprised because it seemed like a great island!)
Just thought I'd let you know!

kfusto Feb 8th, 2005 09:53 AM

Of the islands you mention, my favorites are St. Lucia and Antigua.

We spent a long, romantic weekend at LeSport in St. Lucia this past November last year. There are spa activities included each day and it is very peaceful and relaxing. We spent mornings on the beach then did our spa stuff in the afternoons then napped before dinner. The food was great!

If a spa is not your thing, you might want to investigate East Winds Inn, a small all inclusive.

I have stayed at Sandals Grande in St. Lucia when it was the Grand Hyatt and, if you are looking for a large hotel experience with lots of activities, you should like this.

Antigua is a beautiful island and there is good variety of things to do. I stayed at the Sandals there but it was a while ago. IME and IMO Sandals has gone downhill over the past few years. I would not be willing to pay the price they ask. It was a favorite of mine 8-10 years ago but there are better choices out there for the money now.

rdp Feb 8th, 2005 11:10 AM

Honeymooned at Cap Juluca on Anguilla. Vacation of a lifetime, but expensive. Beautiful beaches, fantastic food, impeccable service, nicest people. Not much esle to do on the island besides beach activities, but lots of ocean activities through charter boats, etc. Easy access to St. Maartin and St. Barts.

Knowing Feb 8th, 2005 12:21 PM

Although you won't get the palm fronds in Antigua, I can assure you it's a great island. It's very relaxing and the beaches are nice.

traveljan Feb 8th, 2005 12:33 PM

I would pick St. John, hands down. It's fairly easy to get to, has a friendly, laid back atmosphere, has gorgeous beaches (some of the best in the Caribbean, I think), great restaurants, it's a bit off the beaten path (i.e. it's not a cruise ship drop off like St. Thomas or St. Croix), but still plenty of fun...lots of opportunity for outdoor acitivies...2/3 of the island is a national park...lots of great snorkeling right off the beaches, great hiking, and gorgeous, romantic views. Downside...it can be expensive, but I think less expensive choices are popping up to compete with Caneel...check it out and good luck!

brenandg Feb 8th, 2005 04:41 PM

kfusto

I totally agree with you about Sandal's Think they are slowly slipping. Not to sound high maintenance but for the money you pay there should be way better seafood selections. Also, their idea of steak is definitely not the same as mine. What do they feed these cows? My husband went deep sea fishing on a local boat. The local said thet there was some issue with Sandal's and the lobster fishermen (St Lucia) and Sandal's did not want to pay up front. So, they take their business elsewhere. This conversation took place because DH was trying to find a good lobster for me. What a guy! We ended up at The Coal Pot twice which is kind of sad considering we were staying all inclusive. Next vacation will not be.

That said, I still enjoyed my three stays at Sandals. We like the convenience of getting food and drink easily. Just think the quality could be a little better. To us it is just a home base to check out the island. We never just hang out at the resort all the time. If I wanted to do that, I would stay much closer to home and less $$$.

BTW, I would not even consider Sandal's unless I got a very good deal, which I did. (40% off last time and 33% the time before). That makes it worth the small warts.

Gail22 Feb 8th, 2005 05:56 PM

It truly depends on how much you are able to spend. Cap Juluca in Anguilla is absolutely gorgeous and romantic! We have stayed throughout the Caribbean and it is our very favorite for romance! We love St. Barths for a French flair and Isle deFrance has a great location. Caneel Bay has beautiful beaches and snorkeling, but not quite as romantic as the above. I am sure you will have a great time, whatever you choose! Congratulations!