Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Puerto Rico - need recommendations please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2015, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a trip to Puerto Rico in early March with DH and DD (3 yo). Would like a beachfront hotel/resort. Main intent on the trip is to relax on the beach and swim in the ocean.

From reading previous PR posts, Fodorites have recommended the Isla Verde area. One of the recent posters on TripAdvisor said that they did not swim in the area because of seaweed. Is this a common occurrence in the waters off the Isla Verde beaches?

Was also looking at the Intercontinental (and also Hilton Caribe) but reading mixed reviews on these hotels.

If you've been to PR recently, please pipe in!

Thank you in advance!
Old Jan 29th, 2015, 11:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you search my screen name, you will see quite a few posts that discuss Puerto Rico, specifically Isla Verde and Condado. Regarding seaweed at Isla Verde - I have been there when there is no seaweed whatsoever and I've been there when there was a lot of seaweed washed up on the beach and also in the ocean. I'd say that the times with a lot of seaweed have been much fewer than the times with no seaweed. I'm not sure if it just depends on whether there was a storm recently or whether seaweed is more likely certain times of the year.

Regarding Intercontinental and the Caribe Hilton - I think you will find mixed reviews of just about every hotel in San Juan. (You probably realize this but the Caribe Hilton is not in Isla Verde - it's between Condado and Old San Juan).
Old Jan 29th, 2015, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Tom! I will look up your posts via your screen name. Appreciate your input on the seaweed situation. I specifically asked about seaweed because we are changing our trip destination from Belize to Puerto Rico, since we would like more beach time/ocean swimming for this trip.

Yes on the Caribe Hilton location .
Old Jan 29th, 2015, 12:18 PM
KVR

Just to play devil's advocate, if your main intent is the beach and swimmable ocean why chose PR? There are much better destinations for this purpose.

I have been to the PR once many years ago and we are returning in May, but we didn't choose this destination based on beach/ocean.
Old Jan 29th, 2015, 12:38 PM

This was an exceptionally bad seaweed winter, for some reason. We were going to beaches on neighboring St. Thomas over Christmas on the north side (like Lindquist Beach), and I've never seen seaweed like that before in the last ten years. That said, I have no idea how long it will last.

We are going to stay in Isla Verde this July for a couple of days before a cruise from San Juan. We are staying in one of the many beachfront condo properties. You can find them on HomeAway or VRBO.
Old Jan 29th, 2015, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

KVR - we have limited time (5 nights) to go on this trip so we've narrowed our destinations to those islands with a non-stop flight from Dallas. It ended up as a choice between Belize and PR (couldn't make Turks & Caicos or Nassau work with our preferred travel dates). Our last Caribbean trip was Virgin Gorda which was perfect for beach/swimmable ocean for our toddler.

Jimmie - thanks, we'll set our expectations accordingly! I have yet to check out the HomeAway/VRBO options but will do.
Old Jan 29th, 2015, 03:18 PM

I have gone to San Juan twice during the past two winters for that same reason, to relax on the beach and swim in the ocean. Isla Verde beach is perfectly fine for that and while it's not the pearly white sand and turquoise water you will find at some other Caribbean destinations, it's still a nice beach. I also like that I can take a morning non stop flight and be on the beach by lunch. You also have the bonus of exploring Old San Juan or going to a rain forest among other activities if you tire of sitting on a beach.

Personally I would choose any Isla Verde hotel over the Caribe Hilton simply because I think the Caribe Hilton is too islolated. In Isla Verde you can walk to some restaurants and if you want you can take a taxi or bus to Old San juan or Condado. Intercontinental is a good choice. If you don't care about walking a longer distance to restaurants and stores, then the Caribe Hilton might be just fine for you.

Regarding the seaweed situation, I am not sure what it's like in San Juan right now but it is a big problem in many places. We are going to St. martin next month and there have been many reports of some of the beaches there being covered with seaweed this year. I think it's starting to clear up and hopefully by the time your trip and mine rolls around all that seaweed will be far away! Enjoy San Juan, it's a great destination.
Old Jan 30th, 2015, 05:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
<<Personally I would choose any Isla Verde hotel over the Caribe Hilton simply because I think the Caribe Hilton is too islolated.>>

I feel the same way, not to mention that I felt the Caribe Hilton (stayed there once), while perfectly nice, felt a little too much like a convention hotel. That being said, perhaps a benefit of Caribe Hilton with a 3 year old is that the beach there is small, shallow and very calm. I've stayed at the Intercontinental a few times a number of years ago and I liked it.

One word of caution for jmoy - do not go to Isla Verde beach or any beach in the San Juan area expecting it to be anything like Virgin Gorda. The San Juan area is very developed, the sand is brown and the water, while clear, is not crystal blue. Isla Verde beach is lined with hotels and condos and can get fairly crowded on the weekends. All beaches in Puerto Rico are public so you will see a lot of locals at the beach on the weekend. I just say this so you know what to expect.
Old Jan 30th, 2015, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your thoughtful responses, genio and tom! I read your PR trip reports and loved them. Glad to confirm that the Intercontinental is a good choice (and that tom has stayed there previously and liked it).

genio - glad to read that the nightlife includes people of all ages. Our toddler is a nightowl so we look forward to seeing the nightlife/dancing that you wrote about.

tom - appreciate the detailed trip reports, taking note of your restaurant recommendations. Yes, we were spoiled by the VG beaches but we will adjust our expectations for the beach accordingly !
Old Feb 2nd, 2015, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Well, we were able to work things out so that we could take an entire week off from the office. So with the longer vacation time, we are off to Turks & Caicos! Thank you again for the PR input, I will bookmark for future trips!
Old Feb 2nd, 2015, 10:12 AM
KVR

You will be much happier with that decision. Have a great trip.
Old Feb 2nd, 2015, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, KVR! I've now jumped over to the Turks & Caicos posts for more trip planning !