Best excursions of Southern Carribbean Cruise

Apr 1st, 2001, 09:28 AM
Sheri

Best excursions of Southern Carribbean Cruise

My Husband and I are taking our first cruise at the end of April on Royal Carribbean. The ship Monarch of the Seas is going to St. Thomas, St. Martin, Barbados, Antigua, and St. Lucia. Any ideas for the best excursions, shopping, highlights etc. would be greatly appreciated. We love snorkeling, kayaking and shopping. Since this is our first time to these islands we are concerned about not having enough time to see everything.
I have heard that there are great prices on crystal, china, jewelry and other items. How good are they?

Thanks for the information!!

Apr 1st, 2001, 09:57 AM
x

St. Martin has great shopping and deals,
on Front St.

Apr 1st, 2001, 02:22 PM
Gail

we took the land/sea excursion on St. Lucia and really enjoyed it. Bus in the morning hit all the highlights of the island. Then lunch. Then return on a catamaran with dancing (if you want) or relax on deck. The view of the island from the water is incredible. We are beach bums and love Orient beach in St. Martin.

Apr 1st, 2001, 03:58 PM
karen

Hi Sheri: We have done a similar cruise with the exception of Antigua. The can't miss excursion is the cruise to Soufriere in St Lucia. This includes a cruise up the coast to the town of Soufriere a visit to a botanical gardens and falls and then a visit to the drive in volcano as well as a Caribbean lunch. On the way back they will stop for a swim and go to Marigot were they filmed the original Dr Doolittle movie, it is gorgeous. This is not a cheap excursion but of all the excursions we have taken on any of our cruises this is diffently a do not miss! In Barbados renting a moke and touring the island is a fun idea or going on a snorkling trip to the underwater park is nice. Barbados is any easy island to navigate on your own and if you have a long port stay take advantage of that and rent a moke. I sent away to the Barbados tourist assoc. and received great books with fabulous itinaries for day trips. St. martins has good beaches and also is easy to navigate on your own. We have rented a car there from Bobby's Marina and travelled the island going to Marigot and to many beaches along the way. Or take a taxi to Orient Beach for a beach day and take time to shop. There is a lovely beach bar at the Holland Beach Hotel in Phillipsburg, doesnt't look like much until you go through the lobby. The patio is very lovely with a view of the ships and nice music. In St. Thomas Magen's Beach is nice and the shopping is good. An excursion to St. John's is well worth the money it is a gorgeous island and Trunk Bay is lovely. Don't bother taking snorkling equipment with you it can be rented there for a very reasonable fee. We were thankful we were on an excursion to St. John as the ferry was delayed but the ship was aware of it so we were in no danger of missing the ship. E mail direct if you would like more info. There is alot of info on the cruise opinion site. Karen

Apr 2nd, 2001, 06:46 AM
Melanie

Karen has nailed it pretty well on the head -- I can only add that the land tour of Antigua is a pretty interesting trip. And the roads there aren't any I'd want to drive myself! There is also some interesting shopping at the port, once you get past the t-shirt vendors.

Apr 2nd, 2001, 11:47 AM
Jane Grinvalsky

We took an Island Safari Tour on Barbados. It was a lot of fun. You travel in Jeep LandRovers around pretty much the entire island. The guides seem to really enjoy what thy're doing. We also spent a few hours snorkeling at the Folkstone Underwater Park. It was wonderful - like swimming in an aquarium. Lots of fish and coral reefs.

Apr 2nd, 2001, 02:26 PM
Christie

On Antigua, I recommend a tour with BoTours: www.boturs.com. We did their island tour and had a wonderful time. We got to see all of the historic sites on the island (former British forts, etc.) and stopped for 2 hours at Half Moon Bay, which was beautiful! We also had a good local BBQ lunch. I think it was $60 each, but it was well worth it. bring plenty of film!

Apr 16th, 2001, 04:38 AM
Kathy

Sherry - my finance and I are taking the same cruise leaving 4/22. We will see you there?

Search this Thread