Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   best dining drinks in Nevis St. Kitts? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/best-dining-drinks-in-nevis-st-kitts-651435/)

scoutjewel Oct 7th, 2006 08:36 AM

best dining drinks in Nevis St. Kitts?

Recommendations for your favorite meal(s) and/or drink(s) in Nevis or St. Kitts (excluding breakfast, either casual or dressy)??
Your most memorable places for: tasty food and/or memorable drinks and/or interesting atmosphere??
(We are visiting in June.)

ejcrowe Oct 7th, 2006 09:55 AM

Of my two favorite places from my trip to Nevis, only one is still open. We loved Montpelier for a fancy evening out. Great service, lovely atmosphere, wonerful food, interesting presentation.

I enjoyed Sunshine's for the signature Killer Bee rum punch.

iw Oct 7th, 2006 10:14 AM

Mango margaritas!!!!!
In Nevis, we love Oualie Beach for lunch and dinner. Also, we had a fabulous dinner at Coconut Grove...excellent ambiance and the food is wonderful. Gallipot is also good. Don't miss a Killer Bee at Sunshines next to the 4S, but I, personally, did not care for the food. Chevy's Calypso Bar right down the same beach had nice looking food and the owners were very nice.
In St. Kitts we loved Marshalls, Serendipity, Mr. X's Shiggidy Shack. Mr. X's had a very laid back atmosphere but it is awesome. On Thursday there is a bonfire. You sit outside on picnic tables and it is not fancy at all, but the food is great. You get your own drinks at the bar. Serendipity and Marshall's are more upscale, but still not overly dressy...you are on an island. Turtle Beach is fun to hang out at during the day...lunch with the monkeys was very good.
I highly recommend an island tour on both islands. Brimstone Hill in St. Kitts is amazing and the rainforest tours are fun. DH hiked Mt. Nevis, which was a big deal and very challenging. I decided to stay and have lunch/drink and read at Oualie Beach while he had his moment of glory.
I know that you will have a fantastic time. These 2 islands have been our vacation choice for 2 years in a row.

scoutjewel Oct 7th, 2006 10:27 AM

Thanks so much ejcrowe and iw for such helpful suggestions and speedy responses.

ejcrowe Oct 7th, 2006 01:02 PM

iw, I'm adding your suggestions to my list for my first visit to St. Kitts next month. scoutjewel, I hope lots of folks reply to your post so that I can piggyback on the benefits! :D

MarionCK Oct 9th, 2006 06:14 AM

I'll second (or third) all the recommendations for dinner at Montpelier and of course a Killer Bee at Sunshines's :-)

I'd also suggest an afternoon at the beach bar at Nisbet Plantation. Allison the bartender (a male name in Nevis ) makes a wonderful drink and loves to make the ladies feel special ;-) Sunday is a great day to visit as they have steel band music for most of the afternoon. The menu is varied and fun...but don't miss the Nisbet Crisps.

Nisbet also does a wonderful beach barbeque on Wednesday nights...again with a great band and vocalists. I don't eat seafood, but if you do, there is lobster and everything freshly caught from the sea that day :-)

The Great House at Nisbet has a wonderful chef, particularly gifted with desserts. It's slightly less formal than Montpelier. If you should go for dinner, ask to be seated at one on Roslin's tables....her smile and care will make it a memorable experience :-)

Marion

A_Traveller Oct 9th, 2006 08:09 AM

Another vote for Montpelier for a great meal. Dinner in their Sugar Mill is terrific if you are looking for a romantic athmosphere. Coconut Grove restaurant is also quite good but a bit pricey - go here if you crave a great selection of fine wines. Another wounderful place is the new Bananas restaurant which has only been opened a couple of months. It's tucked away on the mountainside in Hamilton Estates above Charlestown. Same great food as the "old" Bananas but in a new location.

iw Oct 9th, 2006 01:31 PM

Oh, darn! I forgot about Bananas...It was closed this past year, but last year it was fantastic! Yes, yes...go! The location is different, but Chef Jason at Oualie Beach loves him.

skbfan Oct 9th, 2006 03:59 PM

My favorite meals and/or drinks in St. Kitts would have to be Turtle Beach Bar & Grill, Mr. X's Shiggidy Shack and Ocean Terrace Inn's Friday night West Indian Buffet.

Sprat Net and Ballahoo's are great too.

For a formal meal my vote goes to Serendipity's.

For other restaurant reviews visit www.myislands.myeyez.net

scoutjewel Oct 22nd, 2006 03:43 PM

From your advice, it seems that the dining/drinking experiences around Nevis are somewhat above average. Good to know.

skbfan Oct 24th, 2006 01:06 PM

In Nevis be sure to visit Chevy's Beach Bar on Pinney's Beach.

http:www.myspace.com/chevys_calypso_bar

MIM04 Oct 24th, 2006 06:00 PM

I went to the new Bananas location last month. Food was still good and the new place is beautiful, like a plantation style house with day beds for lounging in the bar area. All outdoor seating for dinner under the covered wrap-around porch. Really lovely setting, with nice gardens.

Sweege Oct 25th, 2006 08:45 AM

We were in Nevis last December. I agree with the reports on Oualie Beach (good lunches and dinners) and Sunshine's (food overrated). Travelled with kids, so can't comment on "fine dining." Heard lots of good stuff about Gallipot, too.

Knowing Oct 25th, 2006 04:39 PM

My husband and I loved the Cooperage at the Old Manor House when we were there last winter. We almost went back again the next night, but had already planned on going to Bananas and weren't able to fit it in again before we left.

garysxm Nov 29th, 2006 06:56 PM

Hello To all. Thanks so much for the wonderfull comments about the food on Nevis.
I am the owner of Coconut Grove and I must say that Nevis is a great destination for food and drinks. every restaurant mentioned is good and we all have our own style.
I do recommend to try out all of us if time permits, otherwise check with your concierge at the hotel you stay and see what suits you best.
here at Coconut Grove we have a french fusion cuisine enhanced by local aromas and flavors. We also have a wine list with over 300 choices and a walk in wine cellar that we invite you to visit.
Please call us at 869 662 1020 for any help needed on nevis.
Thanks again

Santa Nov 30th, 2006 04:08 AM

Definitely a must is an adventure packed night trip to Bananas.
A very large selection of aged Caribbean Rhums.
Their house drink, though, is a blend of several flavored Vodkas on the rocks.
Very tasty.
Hasn't anyone found the "killer bee" to be much too sweet and thick?

DianaD Dec 27th, 2006 04:47 PM

Sunshines for the Killer Bee and fish .

Mount Pieler Plantation for a nice dinner. The Heritage has a nice dinner as well .

skbfan Dec 28th, 2006 10:30 AM

Just returned from St. Kitts last night.

Our best meals were at:

St. Kitts:
Lion's Beach Bar
Marshalls - dressy
Buddy's for ribs
Mr. X's Shiggidy Shack

Nevis:
Chevy's Beach Bar

64fordgal Dec 29th, 2006 07:29 AM

I'm on the Montpelier bandwagon. We stayed there for a week on our honeymoon last June and loved every minute. I think the best part of dinner (and the food was excellent, don't get me wrong) was the cocktail hour before hand. People congregate in the great room and have drinks and lovely hors d' oeuvres, and everyone chats with one another. Then you're seated out on the terrace, which is beautiful. You're in for a treat.

DaveFMFL Jan 1st, 2007 01:40 PM

We would second Coconut Grove - as mentioned it isn't cheap, but is worth it and one of the best on Nevis. Also, someone mentioned the beach seafood BBQ at Nisbet - that is on Thursday night and not Wednesday night (unless it changed in the last few weeks). The Great House dinners at Nisbet seemed greatly improved and are also well worth a try. Montpelier is as good as always.