Trip Report, St. Martin & Anguilla

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just returned from a fabulous week in the Caribbean – we spent 4 days in St. Martin, 3 days in Anguilla. Your postings on Fodors were so helpful in planning this trip, I thought perhaps our feedback might help a future traveler!

We stayed at Le Petit Hotel in St. Martin. What a GEM. The staff at the hotel were unbelievable, and with just 10 rooms, we had a wonderfully private stay. The rooms are simple and elegant, with an amazing view, right on Grand Case beach! We actually didn’t use the beach during the day – but it was great for morning runs/ walks. Whether you’re looking for dinner in barefeet and reggae on the beach, or the very elegant – you’ll find it in Grand Case – just minutes walk from the hotel. We kept it simple – dinner on the beach at Calmos, and a night at the Blue Martini. So many options – I don’t think you can go wrong here!

We weren’t going to rent a car, but after the first day, we went for it! I definitely recommend a car for at least a couple days. They made it simple for us, dropped the car off at the hotel, and even drove us into Marigot to catch our ferry the next day. We spent a day at Orient Beach – certainly got the trip going on a festive note! We drove over to Friar’s Bay – make sure you visit Kali’s on the beach for a mudslide! From there you can hike about 15 minutes to Happy Bay. What a wonderful find! There were maybe 3 other couples there – pure paradise!!!!!!!!! Please add it to your list! Also, drive up to Pic Paradise along the way!

We drove over to Phillipsburg for shopping on our one rainy day. If you’re in the market for jewelry, please visit Shiva’s and ask for Jay. Of all the nutty shops, this store was spectacular. His clients return year after year – his prices, service and jewelry are spectacular. The ring I bought will not be ready for 3 weeks. Jay suggested I take another ring of my choice home as a ‘placeholder’ until mine is ready! I didn’t do it – too scared that I would either lose it or want to keep it! Guess that’s part of his strategy ;-)

On the fourth day we took the ferry from Marigot to Anguilla. So simple!!!! It’s about 20/30 minutes over – about $12. Anguilla was perfect – a great balance to our stay in St. Martin. Such a serene and beautiful island!

We stayed at the Ku Hotel. I have mixed reviews on this one. They present themselves as a luxury resort – a more affordable alternative to Cap Jaluca. The luxury is the beach – East Shoal Bay is perhaps the most beautiful beach we have ever seen! After running around in St. Martin, we were perfectly happy relaxing relaxing on the beach for the remainder of our stay! The hotel is odd – under new management, they just haven’t gotten things down quite right. They have new computers which made a mess of our check in. Long story, let me know if you’d like to hear it.

We rented their beach front villa – it had a bedroom, living room and kitchen. But it was so stark – no pictures on the wall…quite barren actually? Hinges loose, random pieces of furniture here and there. The staff seemed like they were winging it – in fact when the check-in problem occurred, they asked us what to do about it?? Still, the hotel is very quiet and peaceful. I wouldn’t recommend their restaurant, it was empty the entire time, though they make a mean pina-colada ;-) We ate there one night and brought our dinner down to the beach which was quite romantic! Definitely swing by Uncle Ernie’s for lunch – and with rum punch for $3 you can’t go wrong!

We had dinner one night at Zara’s – a beautiful, romantic walk down the beach to get there. Zara’s is good, but overpriced! On this island, you should be prepared to pay a lot for a good meal. Though there are so many dinner options, we were able to keep it sweet and simple.

All in all, this trip was heavenly! We loved splitting our time between the two islands, and hope to do it again! Hope this info was helpful – I’m happy to answer any questions you might have about the islands or this itinerary!

Old Feb 14th, 2007, 08:54 AM

Glad you enjoyed our little part of the world. Thanks for the report.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 08:58 AM

Thanks for taking the time to post a trip report. I for one would not mind reading the long story about check in, should you choose to share it.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

So here it is -- the Ku was hosting a travel journalist, who was writing a piece on the hotel. He was in our suite, scheduled to check out at noon, on the afternoon of our arrival.

When we arrived around 2pm, they told us the room was being cleaned, and suggested we get lunch.

After lunch the room was still not ready, so they suggested we take a walk down the beach and check out Zara's. Oooooookay, we were good with that.

At 5pm we return to reception and finally told the real story. The journalist was offsite and they couldn't find him. His belongings still on the room and in the safe. the key still in his pocession.

They decide to pack up his stuff and empty the room for us. They say we can go in, but know that his belongings are in the safe and he has the key.

I tell them this is just not acceptable and they respond 'we don't know what to do', and ask "what do you think we should do"? Oddly enough, the manager never came out -- the woman at reception had to keep running back and forth between us and her manager to find a solution.

I was under the weather that day, so we decide to go in the room anyway and sleep a bit, with the deadbolt on. There must have been 4 messages on the guy's answering maching "welcome welcome to the Ku" from every manager on site! While we were in there, the messages kept on coming!

Finally around 8pm he came to the door. Got his belongings and bid farewell.

The hotel sort of shrugged this all off as funny -- whereas we spent a precious day of our vacation waiting around for their VIP!

We saw the guy and the hotel manager at the hotel bar the next night. Neither of them even acknowledged us nor apologized?

Didn't ruin the trip, just surprised by the lack of service.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 03:37 PM

Enjoyed the trip report. Thanks for sharing. Can I ask why you didn't use the beach at Le Petit Hotel. Was is not swimmable? The hotel does look like a gem. I always thought it would be a great place for a "husband and me" trip. Your Ku checking-in experience is unbelievable (and I don't mean it as "not believable&quot. Glad you didn't let it ruin your stay.

Old Feb 16th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Hi -- Le Petit Hotel is truly a special place. Waking up to the sound of the ocean was heavenly, and like i said, Grand Case beach is great for walking in the mornings. You can swim and spend an afternoon on Grand Case, it's long, maybe 2 miles or so, but very narrow. Just a short drive away is Friar's Bay and Happy Bay -- such a great escape from it all!

Their sister hotel, L'esplanade is a short walk away. You have access to their pool as well. We took a walk up there, but never actually spent time there.
Please let me know if you have any other questions. The staff at Le Petit were so helpful, before and during our stay.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 10:05 AM

This sounds like our upcoming honeymoon.....Anguilla, Ku and St Martin, Le Petit. Can you recommend "the best" rooms for both hotels?

I watched reviews on the Ku all summer long and hopefully it will be nice. We just could not afford Cap or Cuisinart if wanted to do 10 days.

Thanks for any info you can provide!
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 12:24 PM

Enjoyed your report. I don't think I, for one, could have done as well standing by with the antics of the Ku and the traveling journalist. You did well.