Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   best caribbean place for things to see (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/best-caribbean-place-for-things-to-see-216883/)

carol Dec 20th, 2001 01:07 PM

best caribbean place for things to see

I want to go to a place that has some interesting things to see, not just be on the beach. Any ideas? I like meeting the people and learning about culture and going to see interesting sites. thank you.

Joel Dec 20th, 2001 02:17 PM

You sure don't give us much of an idea of what "interesting things to see" are. Also, every place has a culture and there is nothing stopping you from learning about it. Also, what constitutes an "interesting site"? Give us a break, Carol!<BR>

Kim Dec 20th, 2001 06:33 PM

St.Lucia is a wonderful place to experience great culture, foods and an active valcano, rain forests, waterfalls, very tropical and green and lush. Try Sandlas St.Lucia.<BR>

Kim Dec 20th, 2001 06:34 PM

Sandals St.Lucia.

Louis Dec 20th, 2001 07:54 PM

Without question Puerto Rico fills your bill. Rent a car travel the island stay in the posadas. You have history there in old town and elsewhere, you have a rain forest, you have wonderful highlands, you have good art museums in Ponce and San Juan. There are some caverns almost as good as Carlsbad in the USA. This can go on and on. Most other islands are small and limited in variety with regard to what you are seeking.

Louis Dec 20th, 2001 08:00 PM

Not an Island but in the Caribbean, the Yucatan coast offer all of the things you also want. Pick an area around Akumal for sand and beaches and rent a car to travel to the Maya ruins perhaps as far as Merida. You will see and experience things that are most likely new to you particularly if you do some study of the history of the area before you leave.

xxx Dec 20th, 2001 08:15 PM

I have been to St. Lucia.<BR>I have been to the Mayan Riviera in Mexico many times. Both offer what you are looking for.<BR><BR>

Mariarosa Dec 22nd, 2001 07:17 AM

I agree wholeheartedly with Louis. Both the "Mayan Riviera" in Mexico and Puerto Rico offer many interesting sites and cultural things to do.<BR><BR>In the Mayan Riviera we combined a few days in the colonial town of Merida and a stay in the cute town of Playa del Carmen. Merida is a colonial city - very interesting. From Merida we visited Izamal which is a beautiful colonial town - all houses are painted yellow. We visited various Mayan sites - Uxmal, Chichen Itza, Tulum and Coba - all beautiful for different reasons (Uxmal for architecture and beautiful Mayan latticeworks, Chichen Itza for its expansiveness, Tulum for it's beautiful waterside setting and Coba for it's tropical setting). Mexico has great artisanship - lots of opportunities to buy handicrafts.<BR><BR>Puerto Rico has many colonial towns too. Old San Juan is a completely preserved colonial town with old churches, shops, restaurants, forts, and museums. Ponce has a pretty colonial center and has a beautiful old firehouse. San German has a small colonial center with a 17th century church.<BR><BR>Puerto Rico also has the Yunque rainforest with hiking trails and waterfalls. The Camuy Carverns are quite impressive too. I love the bioluminiscent Bay in Vieques. There's old coffee haciendas in the mountains that can be visited too. Tons of stuff to do.

Trish Dec 22nd, 2001 12:55 PM

Curacao. It's a little more expensive, but worth it. They have a seaquarium, a floating market, caves, their own brewery(tours)liqueur distillery, a picturesque waterfront, a floating bridge and wonderful restaurants. A fascinating ethnic mix of people and the island is dutch.

Penney Dec 22nd, 2001 01:23 PM

I also agree with Puerto Rico. Not only does it have beautiful beaches but alot of clutlure and wonderful sites from the forts, old San Juan and the rain forests.