Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Best Caribbean island for Single Girls in their 30's

Jul 29th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Hello Fodorites!!

I come to you experts for help. We are 2 single girls from Miami in our 30's and have decided to go to the Caribbean for Labor Day weekend getaway. I am having a hard time choosing the best island to go to. Anyhow, if you can, I'd really appreciate any help. Here's our requirements:

- Great Beaches
- Good Nightlife including bars and discos (safety is most important)
- Lots of daytime activities available

Our idea is to hang out on the beach maybe d o some snorkeling during the day and enjoy great restaurant and a good bar/club at night. Also, no problem for us if we need to rent a car.

We don't mind AI's at all so if you can suggest any AI's or good hotels in whatever island you suggest, it would be much appreciated. Budget is less than $1,000 per person.

Thank you!!!
Jul 29th, 2007, 06:31 PM

Not Caribbean, but I suggest Playa del Carmen in Mexico. I went for a girls weekend and it has everything you describe. We stayed at the Royal Playa del Carmen. Very nice AI resort within walking distance of 5th street. There is also another hotel you may like called La Tortuga. It is not on the beach, but a few blocks with passes to the beach club and has a nice pool. There are so many restaurants in Playa that an AI is not necessary, but the Royal is very nice if you want to go that route. There are great beach clubs, bars, lounges, etc on 5th street and it was one of the safest places I've been to. My friend and I felt very safe walking from all the nightlife on 5th to the resort at 2:00am or later. It is a great trip. We are already planning to return in the spring. fun, fun, fun!!!
Jul 30th, 2007, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Beachbum2! I am going to look into your suggestions..Sounds like it might be the best option. I can't wait to go!
Jul 30th, 2007, 06:30 AM

A few other options to consider for combination of good beaches and abundance of activities and nightlife are:

Aruba
Cancun
St. Martin

I can't recommend specific hotels since I have only been to Cancun and that was many years ago.
Jul 30th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Hello BeachBums:

I have done some more research and Playa del Carmen it is! I went to the Royal Playa Del Carmen website and it is a stunning hotel. Having problems with the booking though.. unfortunately, we have waited to until the last minute (babysitting issues) and rates are more expensive than we thought. Any other AI hotels you can recommend on PDC close 5th street which might be less expensive than Royal PDC?

Thanks again for your posts. It is much appreciated.
Jul 30th, 2007, 12:18 PM

You really should give Cancun or Aruba some consideration.They are a bit honky tonk but likely loada of young adults. Aruba has several good restaurants and though snorkeling in not good right there if you rent a car for 2 days and 1 day take the 1 hour drive early ( 8AM to AKUMAL you will beat most of the crods and have some excellent snorkeling until 11 when it crowds up.You are withi 15-20 minutes of Talum a very interesting Mayan and it is worth an hour waking through the ruins, some were in pretty good shape the last visit we made 8-9 years ago. There are now a number of hotels there now si to can then have lunch and head back and be in Cancun before 3. Playa del carmen has a fairly high probability of a good social life but not equal to Cancun though iy is nicer. aruba would be next ans St. Martin woukd be a bore for most folks under 50 except for a few fairly good resaurants. No snorkeling, not a lot of bars, modest social scene in the 25-40 age group but some nice beaches.
Jul 31st, 2007, 07:01 AM

Punta Cana in Dominican Republic or San Juan in Puerto Rico....
I prefer San Juan by far... Lots of beautiful beaches and great nightlife!!!!!!!!
Jul 31st, 2007, 07:07 AM

And cheap!!!!!!
Jul 31st, 2007, 07:09 AM

St. Maarten seems the obvious choice too me.
Aug 5th, 2007, 01:42 PM

Playa is a GREAT choice! A buddy of mine (we grew up together) actually lives there on 5th Avenue in Playa del Carmen. I've gone to visit him a number of times and know the ins and outs on where to stay and what are the good deals.

PS - Make SURE you go to the Blue Parrot...
Aug 6th, 2007, 06:57 PM

You really don't need an AI in Playa. La Tortuga looks great and gets great reviews...the price is amazing and includes breakfast. Mosquito Beach doesn't get as nice of reviews, but looks nice. You really have no need for an AI in Playa. There are tons of great restaurants and places to grab a bite as well as places to pick up drinks and it is very reasonable. We laughed at one of the bars as 6 drinks were $22 and 3 of the drinks were top shelf calls. As nice as the Royal is, we are looking into La Tortuga for our next visit as we want to try all the great eateries and not feel as though we've already paid to eat. Go to Playa...you will have the time of your life! We can't wait to return.