Best Caribbean Island for a young couple?

Jul 9th, 2019, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Best Caribbean Island for a young couple?

Hi everyone!

My boyfriend and I have been looking into going on vacation in the fall to somewhere in the Caribbean. At first, we were thinking about St Lucia, as I've always wanted to go there. After researching some other places now I'm not sure where we should go.

After looking for the past few weeks, I think I've narrowed it down to St Lucia, Turks and Caicos, or St Maarten. I'm open to looking into others though if anybody has recommendations. We are a young couple in our 20s and want to be around action at night but still relax by the pool/beach during the day.

We want to be somewhere with a lot of beaches, pools, nightlife, and excursions (jet skiing, day boat trips, etc.). We would want to stay in either an all-inclusive resort or a Villa. If we end up choosing a Villa, I would want to be in a good area that has different restaurants and bars. We do not want to spend a lot of money but are willing to pay a little bit more if we find a place that will suit all of our needs. (If any of you have ever been to the Hard Rock in Punta Cana, I'm looking for something similar to that)

Also, we would be going around the end of September. I know that for most places that is the rainy season which is okay, but if anyone knows if one place will have better weather at this time than another please let me know!

Thank you to everyone who responds.
Jul 9th, 2019, 09:37 AM

St Lucia, T&C or St Maarten don't have AI hotels like the Hard Rock in Punta Cana. St Lucia is very lively around Rodney Bay and could suit you, same as St Lawrence/Gap in Barbados, several places in Mexico and Negril would be great, if you can forego the AI hotel requirement. September isn't just the rainy season, its hurricane season, I have been several times in September and the weather was beautiful however there is always a hurricane risk.
Jul 9th, 2019, 10:31 AM

September is not really the best month for anywhere in the Caribbean, it's risky weather wise many places.

What you describe to me sounds like the Mayan Riviera of Mexico. You'd fly into Cancun and go south from there.
Jul 9th, 2019, 10:38 AM

<<...We do not want to spend a lot of money but are willing to pay a little bit more if we find a place that will suit all of our needs...>>

Sorry but this doesn’t really give us any idea of what type of budget you actually have. In order to make meaningful recommendations please give us an actual dollar range of what you want to spend on airfare, accommodations, food and activities.

Also, since airfare will use up a significant portion of your budget it would help if you told us where you are flying from.

If you want “action at night” you probably don’t want to visit the Turks & Caicos as they are very quite islands. The exception is the All Inclusive Club Med Resort.

There are hundreds of All Inclusive Resorts in the Dominican Republic, Cancun and Cozumel so you might want to concentrate your search to those destinations.

You should consider purchasing Trip Interruption Insurance since you’ll be traveling in the peak of Hurricane Season in the Caribbean.
Jul 9th, 2019, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Our budget is around $3,00-$3,500 for flights and hotel. We know food and excursions will be extra. We'll be flying out of Chicago. I have been to the Dominican Republic as well as Mexico many times that's why I'm trying to find something different.
Jul 9th, 2019, 12:01 PM

I was going to recommend Puerto Rico until I got to the all inclusive or villa part. It has beaches, pools, nightlife, good food, excursions and culture. It does not have all inclusives. Not sure about villas. I always stay at a resort when I am there.
Jul 10th, 2019, 04:42 AM

Aruba or Curacao would be your best bet as far as weather is concerned that time of year.
Jul 10th, 2019, 05:51 AM

Yes, the ABC islands would be best bet weather-wise. I wouldn't be overly concerned about it being rainy season but there is always a slight chance of a hurricane or tropical storm at that time of the year. The odds that one will occur where you are when you are there are small but real. It wouldn't stop me from traveling to the Caribbean that time of year, but that's just me.
Jul 11th, 2019, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help - we decided on Aruba!