Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   best all inclusive in barbados (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/best-all-inclusive-in-barbados-304844/)

jillya Feb 14th, 2008 04:22 PM

best all inclusive in barbados

What all inclusive has the best food, accomodations and entertainment in Barbados?

greenie Feb 15th, 2008 01:13 AM

Barbados is the type of island you want to get out and explore. I wouldnt recommend AI.

What part of the island are you looking to stay in?

Peace, Greenie

KVR Feb 15th, 2008 04:01 AM

Here's a list of the AI hotels on Barbados. You'll find that most people on this forum do not like or like to recommend AI properties.

Almond Beach Club & Spa

Almond Beach Village

Almond Casuarina Beach Resort

Barbados Beach Club

Crystal Cove Hotel

Mango Bay Barbados

Tamarind Cove Hotel

Turtle Beach Resort

xkenx Feb 15th, 2008 06:58 AM

There are reasons why most Fodorites recommend not to do A.I.on Barbados. A.I. hotels there are mostly not the nicest hotels; their food is for a captive audience-not up to island standards;
unless you want to pay even more for food, you are trapped at the resort 3 times a day on an island rich in sightseeing, restaurants, shopping, beaches. Non-A.I. resorts are no more money in total than A.I., but you have freedom to do what you want. Most hotels have entertainment, and guests from other hotels are usually welcome to come for the entertainment. The best restaurants are the independent ones and in non-A.I. hotels. At other hotels, you can usually pay adders to sign up for partial or full meal plans.

jillya Feb 15th, 2008 07:11 AM

Ok Thanks I understand
We like AI generally because we are super busy in our lives and when we finally go on holiday (which is rare) we want to plop ourselves down and enjoy what's there.

Which hotel then would be recommended as as very nice?

KVR Feb 15th, 2008 07:54 AM

I have answered many of your posts, but if you're really looking for an AI hotel to just plop yourself at, the best destinations are going to be either Riveria Maya, MX or the Dominican Republic. In the DR most all of the hotels are mega AI's that contain several restaurants, bars and on-site entertainment since it is not recommended to go off the property unless your on a guided tour. Plopping at the beach or pool for a week would work well there.

The Riviera Maya has more flexibility of going off the resort and exploring, but most of the really nice AI hotels are set far from the town of Playa del Carmen, therefore, they will also contain several restuarants, bars and on-site entertainment.

There are several Caribbean Islands in which hotels offer an AI plan, but they are not going to be anything like what you will find at like a Sandals property or some of the really nice AI's in Mexico or the DR.

Knowing Feb 15th, 2008 07:55 AM

I just returned yesterday from my second trip to Barbados as well as Palm Island. The restaurants are fabulous and you would brood if later on you discovered what you had missed.
We love the Hilton. It's located on the beach at Needham's Point which is maybe five minutes from Bridgetown. The rooms are very comfortable and service is good. The staff is very friendly. Big beach, great pools, shops, and a beachside bar. BTW, the executive rooms are a terrific experience. There is also a historic fort on-site that's fun to check out.

xkenx Feb 15th, 2008 02:06 PM

jillya, IMO the class act on Barbados is Coral Reef Club. Beachfront resort on the calm water west coast north of Bridgetown. One of the original hotels on the island, owned by the O'Hara family for 50+ years, modernized, but in a traditional low-rise plantation style set in beautiful tropical gardens. One of the classic Caribbean hotels.
See www.coralreefbarbados.com

Barbara1 Feb 16th, 2008 04:02 AM

I have stayed at Almond Beach Village and truly enjoy the resort. I don't particularly like AI, but I thought the food there was not bad for AI.
The resort itself is lovely with friendly accommodating staff.

Kool_Aid_Salesman Feb 16th, 2008 05:13 AM

I disagree with Barbara1. I also stayed at Almond Resorts, family w/3 kids in 2 rooms about 6 years ago.

Resort would be 3* at best IMO, breakfast and lunch okay on AI, after 4 days of dinners on AI, we stopped and explored the island every day for dinner. We just couldn't take it anymore.

Kids had fun, lots of people at Almond as it is large, lots of things to do, the dinners were only passable.

I have stayed at AI at other resorts in the Carib - Peter Island and Bitter End Yacht Club which are both AI for food (not alcohol) and were very good food.