Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Best AI in Punta Cana for two 18 year olds.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sending my daughter and her best friend to Punta Cana for 5 days on their senior trip. I have been there but for relaxation. They want great beach, great pool and fun night life ie"great disco". Which resort would be best. They will not leave the resort and will strictly utilize onsite facilities. Hopefully the resort will have other older teens and young adults.
Old May 16th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old May 17th, 2010, 05:03 AM

I'd say they would enjoy one of the Riu resorts in Punta Cana, which are known for nightlife. The Riu Palace Macao is close to the busy disco (Pacha) and is one of the high-end properties (a couple of the five resorts in the Riu complex are currently closed for renovations, though, so it's possible that the disco won't be as busy as it normally is. The low-end Riu Naiboa gets a big crowd of European students, but it's not really geared toward Americans, so if your daughter wants that kind of experience, it might also be a good choice. Though I've hard it can be a bit rowdy. She might enjoy the more upscale atmosphere of the Palace better (though not Riu Palace Punta Cana, which skews way older than her and her friend .. mostly couples in their 40s and up).

The other choice would be the Occidental Grand Punta Cana (which used to be called "Occidental Grand Flamenco"). It has the other big busy disco in the Punta Cana region.

Both of these clubs allow non-guests to enter and do draw a local crowd, so keep that in mind. But that's also why the nightlife is so varied and interesting.

Finally, the former Moon Palace is becoming a Hard Rock Resort, and I suspect it will have a busy nightlife section, but it's not going to be fully operational until late summer, so if they are going in the next couple of months, the Riu or Occidental is probably the better choice.
Old May 21st, 2010, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much!! That is perfect information and definately helps in my decision. Thanks again.
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Just to update. They went and stayed at the RIU Palace Macao. They loved everything and had a wonderful experience.