Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Bermuda Triangle (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/bermuda-triangle-281316/)

Tavia Dec 25th, 2002 10:02 AM

Bermuda Triangle

I am thinking if traveling to Bermuda this summer, but am a little concerned about the myths/legends surrounding the Bermuda Triangle.

ho ho Dec 25th, 2002 03:33 PM

This has to be a joke! Grow up! April fool! Get real etc...................

Fo Dec 25th, 2002 05:08 PM

The Bermuda Triangle is only a myth.<BR>Now it's those UFO's and Sasquatches that you need to watch out for.<BR>Throw some salt over your shoulder and wear garlic around your neck and you'll be fine.<BR>

Robert Dec 25th, 2002 05:42 PM

Tavia; it depends how you're traveling to Bermuda. Some of the weird things that happened to people on yatchs in the late 70's and 80's were true. Drug smugglers had overtaken their boats or somehow ingratiated the owners at a pub while they were docked at some island, and murdered them at sea, using their yatchs for drug shipments. Also, U.S. nuclear attack submarines from Norfolk have produced a mysterious surface wave and made the instrument panels on yatchs go wacky, as they sped hundreds of feet below them on practice attack exercises along the Bahama Bank drop off (3,000 feet). The subs ECM's (electronic counter measures) and the incredible speed (you can water ski behind an attack sub) were the culprits...not aliens. Many dolphin and whales fell victim as well. They beached themselves due to their own sonar going balistic by the ECM's of nuclear attack subs. They literally committed suicide by beaching themselves to esdcape the deafening sounds, which only they could hear. Ah, maybe you should fly to Bermuda. Robert

wizaedof oz Dec 25th, 2002 07:21 PM

Stay-- stay home --don't go anywhere.<BR>They are out there --everywhere. They will start coming out anytime.<BR>They are out there.

Where Dec 26th, 2002 05:59 AM

I flew into the Bermuda Triangle six years ago and have never been seen since. I have no idea how to get out of here. Any ideas?<BR><BR>

Robert Dec 26th, 2002 06:07 AM

No, there's no supernatural hoopla aboout the &quot;Bermuda Triangle&quot;, just nuclear attack subs and drug smugglers led to some weird and tragic events. Nope, not aliens or metaphysical occurences...just man's events. I dove the Bimini Road off of Bimini Island, where the Lost City of Atlantis hoopla was broadcast on the Discovery Channel, and the mysterious huge stones under the water were believed, by idiots, to house powerful devices with gravitational pull. I did a reef survey and followed the stones, about 18 feet under the water, for 50 minutes. I do believe the stones there aren't beach rock, but were constructed by people in the past, when the oceans were hundreds of feet below the current level. But, so what, the Lucayans and Arawaks and other civilizations were all over the Bahamas and caribbean back then. So they constructed some monument, wall, or a road? Instead of viewing the incredible rock formations as the Lost City of Atlantis with gravitational pulling power, consider them just one of many artifacts left by our past ancestors. Nothing supernatural. Robert

Robert Dec 26th, 2002 06:44 AM

To WhereamI posting above. My gad! I hope you make it back! Remember, if you suddenly appear in a vapor cloud back in the continental U.S., if your in a geographical location called Amityville, Elm Street, Transylvania, or any small town in Maine...leave immediately! By the way, you may be up in Finland. Rumor has it the Bermuda Triangle tired of the hot weather and moved up North. Is that why Santa Claus is missing? What a minute...have you seen Santa? Let us know! I love it. Robert<BR><BR>

Dave Dec 26th, 2002 02:15 PM

Robert: Good posts. FYI, we do not have any standard military subs capable of dives to 3000 feet. I know.<BR>

Robert Dec 26th, 2002 06:02 PM

Hi, Dave; yeah, I guess we need some humor without putting down someone who hears all the hoopla about the &quot;mysterious&quot; Bermuda Triangle. The Bahama Bank, which is shallow, goes over a precipice which is 3,000 feet deep, not meaning the attack subs which practice out of Norfolk in that area go all the way down to the that depth. It's fascinating, though, isn't it. Robert

Holly Dec 26th, 2002 06:16 PM

I bet Oliver Stone has the answer to the mysteries of the Bermuda Triangle...... It's a conspiracy.<BR><BR>

Robert Dec 26th, 2002 06:53 PM

Holly; You're probably right, but let's keep it simple and uncomplicated. If Oliver Stone gave his interpretation, we'd all be as inebriated as he. When Stone was asked to solve the riddle &quot;Why did the chicken cross the road,&quot; he retorted, &quot;The question is not 'Why did the chicken cross the road?' but is rather 'Who was crossing the road at the same time whom we overlooked in our haste to observe the chicken crossing?'&quot; Would we really understand his explanation for the Bermuda Triangle? let's email him. Robert <BR>

Dave Dec 27th, 2002 06:15 AM

I did see a good show on the Bermuda Triangle a few years ago. I believe it was on Discovery Channel. It talked about pockets of frozen nitrate gasses traped below the sediment that are released sometimes and come to the surface. These gasses can cause a ship to suddenly lose bouyancy and sink rapidly if there is a large enough release. This has never been proven in this area to be &quot;the cause&quot; but is a likely culprit. Hey, no one lives forever so why worry about it?

Scared Dec 27th, 2002 08:53 AM

Can I come out from under my bed yet? I have to pee.

everyone Dec 27th, 2002 10:45 AM

Hey Scared - do the world a favor - stay under the bed - we don't want to be scared too.

HuwMorgan Jul 8th, 2003 11:51 AM

The Bermuda Triangle hoopla was cobbled together by a few hack writers in the 70s who couldn't make money on real writing. Lawrence Kusche blasted these jerks out of the water with his research book The Bermuda Triangle- Solved. Kusche goes case-by-case and proves most of the &quot;disappearences&quot; to have been not disappearences at all or to have reasonable explanations behind them. It's actually a very good beach read.