Bermuda ~ Tobacco Bay Question

Old Jun 7th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bermuda ~ Tobacco Bay Question

Hello,

Departing this Friday (June 11th) and staying until Sunday, June 20th...our 15th visit to the island.

We really enjoyed snorkelling at Tobacco Bay last year, but it was very crowded because there was a cruise ship in St. George's. I realize the Veendam now anchors off St. George's on Tuesdays.

I have reviewed the cruise ship schedule but I wonder what might be the least crowded day to visit Tobacco Bay....if there is one! Do many locals go to TB on Saturdays and Sundays? Thanks so much for your help.
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 12:14 PM

T. B. is one of only three or four places on the island with any sort of facilites/snacks/rental equipment of any kind. So, it's always going to be more popular. Cruise ships docked at Dockyard will bring visitors to T. B. as they visit St. George's, even if the Veendam isn't docked. School is going to be out soon, and T.B. is in a location that makes it easy for local kids to get to without travelling the main roads. (The protected little bay makes it very popular with the kids, as well.) So, basically, you're not going to find it very quiet for the next few months.
Are you interested in snorkelling anywhere else? I could make some suggestions.
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 12:52 PM

Been going to the St. George's area for over 20 years. Try sat. sun. or mon. when cruise ships not in. Don't be concerned about local use.
Also try Blackbeard's restaurant overlooking the water just below Fort St. Catherine.(a 10 min.walk fromTB)
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your replies.
We have also tried Church Bay; my husband enjoyed it, but I found it a little rough for me. Txgirlinbda - yes, I would appreciate your suggestions. We will be in Paget at Salt Kettle House.
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 05:47 AM

I like Admiralty House Park to Spanish Point Park (the bus goes right by there). If you're out in St. George's, around the corner from Tobacco Bay is a little beach below Blackbeard's Bar - start there and snorkel around to underneath Ft. St. Catherine. (Or you can start on the beach to the right of Ft. St. Catherine and head left under the fort. Anything on South Shore is going to be a little bit more rough than off North Shore. And as commercial as it is, Snorkel Park isn't bad - as you get in the water, there's a small cut in the wall on your left (kayakers use it) to get out in to open water.
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!