Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Bermuda resort - money not an issue (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/bermuda-resort-money-not-an-issue-520265/)

sydpassin Apr 11th, 2005 06:59 AM

Bermuda resort - money not an issue

Hello,
My husband and I want to visit Bermuda in June.
What resort is the best? Is it Elbow Beach? Money is not an issue.
Thanks!

need2travelasap Apr 11th, 2005 07:26 AM

I stayed at the Fairmont Southampton in December and it was Wonderful. The hotel is spacious with lots of restaurants on property, big beach area and there is a trolley that will take you down to the beach whenever you want to go. The rooms were big, with a sitting area and a marble bathroom. We had a robe/slippers in our room. There is also a spa and a big golf course. I don't think that you will be disappointed.

JerseySue Apr 11th, 2005 07:30 AM

After doing a lost of research and with the help of all the Fodorites ! We went with Pompano Beach - we are going in July - I happen to run into someone recently who had just returned from Bermuda and had stayed at the Pompano and they agreed that they definitely have the best beach and the hotel is newly renovated and the service is great. Supposedly the only good beach for snorkling in shallow water. Enjoy !

dee7493 Apr 11th, 2005 08:11 AM

Cambridge Beaches is one of the best
resorts in Bermuda.

sp Apr 12th, 2005 03:58 PM

It depends what your priorities are - Pompano does have the best oceanfront. It is a small beach, but the water is the best for swimming. It is on a calm bay and the water is crystal-clear and waist-deep for a few hundred yards out. The resort is far in from the main road, so there is no road noise whatsoever, it is very tranquil and the setting is stunning. Upon arrival, the views are guaranteed to take your breath away. The owners are extremely friendly and accommodating, the gourmet dinners are fabulous and the rooms have recently been renovated and are very comfortable. The spa is excellent and the fitness centre is practically right in the water with windows everywhere - the views will get you on the treadmill if nothing else will! You mentioned Elbow Beach - if a long beach is a priority for you, then this would be the place to go - just make sure you book one of the higher-end rooms - they have been renovated. But, if you want a romantic spot, I would give Pompano a try.

girlonthego Apr 12th, 2005 05:38 PM

The Reefs is a small hotel and very nice. The food was excellent and it has it's own private beach. If you are looking for a more luxurious hotel with all of the amenities,(some of the accomodations at the Reefs have tv's most don't)than look at the larger hotels. The Southhampton Princess(Fairmont) is very nice but up on a hill.(You must shuttle down to their private beach). I have never stayed at Elbow, but my husband and I scootered over there and sat on their beach for a little while. The beach was one of the largest and nicest stretches. A friend of mine spent her honeymoon there and loved it. I believe they have a spa. I would love to try it one of these days. I don't think you can go wrong with Elbow Beach.

cmeyer54 Apr 15th, 2005 04:06 PM

we honeymooned at elbow beach and went back again a few years later. It is/was wonderful and remains a favorite. Hope to get back again for another anniversary.

mitchdesj Apr 16th, 2005 02:17 AM

We were at Horizons and Cottages 5 years ago and loved the quietness of it; the food was amazing.

nina May 21st, 2006 11:46 AM

I've stayed at Elbow Beach and it was very nice, but if money's no object, I'd go to Cambridge Beaches. I think it has a lot more charm.

averyjade May 21st, 2006 02:45 PM

I stayed at Cambridge Suites for my 40th Bday. Loved it. Look up their website, so you can see how nice it is. The chef was excellant (french cuisine) they had afternoon tea, 5 secluded beaches and you can catch a ferry walking distance away to go into town. There is a dine around program so you can go to the other hotels. You can not rent a car only a vespa.

cantstayhome May 22nd, 2006 06:44 AM

Cambridge Beaches is fantastic - no kids allowed without a nanny (they're not allowed in the dining room) or something like that. Seeing that we don't travel with the nanny, we won't be going back for awhile. Cambridge Beaches is much smaller and therefore more intimate, I believe, than Elbow Beach. Having dined at Elbow Beach and checked out a suite on our last trip to Bermuda, however, it is probably where we will stay next time with the kiddo.

Pink Beach Club in Tucker's Town is supposed to be a nice place, too.

Pompano is not of the same caliber as Cambridge Beaches or Elbow Beach, although the beach is nice.

Tanya May 23rd, 2006 02:47 AM

If money isn't an option, I vote for the Coral Beach and Tennis Club. Absolutely beautiful spot! On Thursday evenings they have a seafood buffet and if the weather permits, outside dining/dancing under the stars!

cmcfong May 23rd, 2006 03:56 AM

Coral Beach is lovely, but you have to either belong to the club or be introduced by a member.

Tanya May 23rd, 2006 06:40 AM

Oops, Sorry about the Coral Beach. I thought they also had temporary (daily) memberships available. The Waterloo House and Horizons are sister properties and I believe you have the use of Coral Beach while staying there? Perhaps someone else has more accurate information.

thereadbaron May 24th, 2006 09:50 AM

Coral Beach is a private club, you do get to go if staying at Horizons or Waterloo House. It was quite lovely...

NotMe May 25th, 2006 12:28 PM

Even if money is not an object, it still depends on what kind of place you are looking for. Do you like intimate or large resorts. Of the former, our favorite is the Pompano Beach Club, providing we can get an oceanfront room. In addition to a great beach, we love to sit on our private porch and watch the ocean. Another intimate place is Cambridge Beaches. Its a bit more formal than Pompano and we don't like the rooms as much. However, while we wouldn't stay there again, we love having dinner on the patio - fabulous food and atmosphere. The Southhampton is a mega resort if that is your kind of place. It certainly has all of the amnenities you would expect in a large resort. We have not stayed at Elbow Beach but the beach there did look nice.

Jack May 27th, 2006 02:12 PM

According to Tripadvisor, the ten most popular places to stay in Bermuda are in the following order:

1. Pompano Beach Club
2. The Reefs
3. Pink Beach Club & Cottages
4. Coco Reef Resort
5. Horizons and Cottages
6. Cambridge Beaches
7. The Fairmont Southhampton
8. Willowbank
9. Grotto Bay Beach Resort
10.Elbow Beach

However, since there are differences, before selecting any of the foregoing, you should read the reviews from recent visitors to see if it is the type of place you want to stay.

escargot May 28th, 2006 08:17 PM

I haven't stayed there but my girlfriend recently returned from 9 beaches and raved about it, so you might want to check it out at 9beaches.com and see if it is a palce that would appeal to you.

escargot May 28th, 2006 08:20 PM

oops, just realized this was from 05, so your trip is long over !