Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Bermuda question: The Reefs or Ariel Sands?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 07:12 AM
Alex

I plan on traveling to Bermuda in May with my wife and have narrowed the hotel down to The Reefs or Ariel Sands. I understand The Reefs is higher end but also much more expensive. Would like a semi-quiet, non-touristy, smaller resort with good food, nice beach and access to golf and nearby shopping. Never been to Bermuda. Thanks for any thoughts/opinions/experiences.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 07:37 AM
Parker

The Reefs is the place for you! It is totally awesome: quiet,excellent service, awesome food and pool, small, intimate and friendly. Just did a major renovation. Ask for a premier lanai (room) in building H if possible on the cliffs. Eat at Echo terrace and at Coconuts. We have been six times...worth the $!!!

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Tanya

Hi The Aerial Sands is a wonderful, quiet spot for a vacation. It is located a short distance from downtown Hamilton and the other beaches. Aerial Sands has its own beach with two tidal pools. Great snorkelling from the beach as well. Even saw some surfers just off shore. It is on the bus route so if you want to purchase a weekly pass (somewhere around $36) you can travel all over the Island including using the ferry. Taxi drive is about $12 one way to downtown Hamilton. The Sands is also accessed by locals through a private membership although most come for the beach and tennis. It also has a spa but I recommend booking in advance for any session as they get quite busy.<BR><BR>

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 07:51 AM
Tanya

Hi The Aerial Sands is a wonderful, quiet spot for a vacation. It is located a short distance from downtown Hamilton and the other beaches. Aerial Sands has its own beach with two tidal pools. Great snorkelling from the beach as well. Even saw some surfers just off shore. It is on the bus route so if you want to purchase a weekly pass (somewhere around $36) you can travel all over the Island including using the ferry. Taxi drive is about $12 one way to downtown Hamilton. The Sands is also accessed by locals through a private membership although most come for the beach and tennis. It also has a spa but I recommend booking in advance for any session as they get quite busy. Evening dining is available under the stars practically on the beach.<BR><BR>Hey, you might even get a chance to meet Michael Douglas !!!<BR>

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 08:34 AM
nina

The Reefs! Spectacular setting, great food. Check the prices, to be honest I think they are the same. I don't think the Reefs is any more expensive. Their rates include breakfast and dinner, which is outstanding. Make sure you're comparing apples to apples with the pricing.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 09:03 AM
Alex

Thanks for everyone's prompt repsonse. I just found out, however, that both The Reefs and the Ariel Sands require a 5 night minimum and we can only stay for 3 nights. Are there any other similar hotels that compare to those two that I can contact? Thanks again!

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Cheryl

Look into Pompano Beach ... good reputation.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Tanya

Although the Waterloo House is almost in downtown Hamilton, it does have access to the Corel Sands private club which is on the South Shore of Bermuda. Wonderful spot, great beach, good food, tennis, etc. I believe they offer a private shuttle to and from. The Waterloo is small and intimate with great food and located directly on Hamilton Harbour.<BR><BR>There is also the "Newstead" across the Harbour from Hamilton. Easy access to shopping/downtown district via the ferry. Newly renovated it is located close to the Belmont Golf Club. No beach but a charming spot.<BR>

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 10:02 PM
Anishka

Alex, What do you mean "we can only stay for 3 nights" ? You can't go to<BR>Bermuda and stay only for 3 nights!<BR>You'll be sorry when the time comes to leave. Add the extra 2 nights ! You'll be glad you did! Have fun.