Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Bermuda info (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/bermuda-info-544244/)

miz Jul 14th, 2005 03:12 PM

Bermuda info

3 women(38yrs -50yrs )looking at Bermuda for a trip July 21/22 to july 26. Looking for suggestions of where to stay & things to do.

cmcfong Jul 14th, 2005 06:51 PM

I expect you will find many of the properties full this time of year, it is peak season. Tell me what you like to do, as in shop, beach, sightsee, hike, bike, scuba and I will try to suggest some activities and areas for you. Are you planning to share a room? Do you want to be on the beach or in town? Are you looking to meet people or just want to kick back and relax?
Any budget range?

girlonthego Jul 14th, 2005 08:04 PM

3 women, I would recommend the Southhampton Fairmont hotel or Elbow beach hotel. These are both full service resorts. I have stayed at the Fairmont and it is very nice. The beach at Elbow is nicer. (I have only been to their beach)
You can take a public bus to town and it is very safe. I rode alone while my husband was on business. You can rent mopeds and drive anywhere.
The town is very cute for shopping and lunch out.
If you stay at the Fairmont, there is a place called King Henry the VIII's next door. It used to be a fun dinner or bar place with a piano player/comedian. If Jimmy Keys is playing there or at any of the hotels, he is the piano player/comedian and he is very funny.
Have fun.

Tuxedocat Jul 15th, 2005 02:17 AM

The perfume factory sounds perfect for your crowd. I went with minimal enthusiasm and ended up loving their famous Bermudian scents. It was an interesting tour and I have a lovely momento of my time there. It's a great way to pass a rainy hour. Also, at one end of the island (farthest from St. Geeorge), there is a former navalyard that has been converted to shops and restaurants which is also a great way to pass a rainy afternoon. They also have a dolphin experience and an marvelous old fort to tour.

cmcfong Jul 15th, 2005 05:21 AM

Last minute bookings can be arranged by
http://www.bermudagetaway.com/

ParrotMom Jul 15th, 2005 05:39 AM

Swizzle Inn at night or day is a fun place..no matter what our age..can be reached by buses.

miz Jul 15th, 2005 11:56 AM

Thanks everyone.
cmcfing : to answer your questions. relaxing is fine but we want some good activity to enjoy & meeting people would be fun. Some night life that is safe for us as women. Not looking for totally low-key at all. Being on the beach is not a priority but easy/good/reliable access to getting there when we feel like it would be great. We would shop, sightseeing, no scuba diving,no hiking, no biking. We will share a room and enjoy enjoy some good food (restaurant seggestions?) and some of the history. one of us has a grandfather(passed) who was born there but no relatives we know who may or may not even be around, so enjoying the history would be nice also.

miz Jul 15th, 2005 11:59 AM

cmcfong: FYI just saw your info on the other board thanks

cmcfong Jul 15th, 2005 02:34 PM

I would say your best bet based on your profile is probably the Fairmont Hamilton Princess in Hamilton, so you can walk to several clubs or the Fairmont Southampton Princess, which has a lot happening on site.
Enjoy BDA, it is glorious.

Tanya Jul 15th, 2005 05:18 PM

Check out the Don't stop the Carnival cruise for an evening. Best price on the Island for lots of good, basic fun.

miz Jul 19th, 2005 08:26 PM

ok booked and ready to leave this weekend. Could not get anything for my dates in the Princess, Fairmount or Elbow. Ended up at the Wyndham and I am hoping it won't be a mjor disapointment. I know I have read reviews that are 50-50 about it. (vacations are not menat to spend in hotel rms anyway right) Anyone stay there recently? Any advice?
I am a Wyndham By Request Member so hope I can get a good room. Any recommendations om which room type/floor/area to ask for?
Also what about dress code?
Thanks

cmcfong Jul 20th, 2005 03:59 AM

There was a recent trip report published on this site about a visit to the Wyndham.

The dress code for restaurants and shopping, etc in Bermuda is comfortable, casual, but not jeans, short shorts, halter tops, etc. They use the term "smart casual". For women tailored slacks, a dress or skirt, and a blouse or sweater is fine everywhere.

cmcfong Jul 20th, 2005 04:02 AM

I tried the search function to locate the trip report on the Wyndham Bermuda, but it doesn't come up. The overall opinion of the poster was negative.

Knowing Jul 20th, 2005 10:24 AM

Bermuda is friendly almost beyond belief. The perfume factory is closed. Trimingham's is going out of business, which was my favorite store. Good restaurants:
The Chancery. Dinners are $20-30. Very creative desserts.
The Lobster Pot: Lobster Ravioli in a vermouth sauce for $19.00. Good place for seafood lovers.
The Harborfront: This is a dressier place. 6:30 to 7:30, they have early bird specials.
Port of Call: I had good shrimp for dinner one night.
There is a historical museum you may want to visit. Additionally, the taxi drivers give a good island tour for a reasonable amount of money and the older drivers are quite interesting.

miz Jul 20th, 2005 05:37 PM

Anyone have info on cellphone use in Bermuda? Did you take yours from the USA and use it? Easier to rent a pay as you go phone there any suggestions?

joe555 Jul 20th, 2005 06:36 PM

hi, i was in bermuda july 4th week.i live in ny and have a verizon cell phone that worked fine from bermuda to nyc..justnot sure how they are going to bill me for it

miz Jul 20th, 2005 07:10 PM

thanks for the cellphone info do I need a light rain jacket?

cmcfong Jul 21st, 2005 02:47 AM

Yes, take a light rain jacket. You will be glad to have it if you do a moped ride.

miz Jul 21st, 2005 05:36 PM

Travelling USAir direct to Bermuda. Should I lock my bags before checking? what experience have you had?