Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Bermuda in early May (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/bermuda-in-early-may-165820/)

emcash Jan 2nd, 2008 09:29 AM

Bermuda in early May

My DH and I love Bermuda and we're thinking of going there for our 5th anniversary in the very early part of May. We love lounging on the beach and my DH thinks that in early May it will be too cold in bermuda. Any thoughts?

laplaya Jan 2nd, 2008 09:37 AM

we went in june, which had nice weather. a little windy one day.

since its east of NC, think of weather in NC

cmcfong Jan 2nd, 2008 10:00 AM

http://www.weather.bm will give you historical data on Bermuda weather.

txgirlinbda Jan 12th, 2008 01:20 PM

I just pulled up my May photos to see what we were doing last year and there we are - at the beach, in the boat and generally outside in the sunshine. The water might still be a little cool, but the sand should be nice!

girlonthego Jan 12th, 2008 04:11 PM

We went one year in mid may and the weather for the most part was warm beach weather. If it rains, it will be chilly, so bring a warm sweater just in case. We did go to the beach and my DH and kids ran in and out of the water. I found it a little chilly, but I like the ocean warm!

bhonoreh Jan 13th, 2008 06:28 AM

emcash...our Mom and Dad bought a few time shares in 1989 for the first two weeks in May.

The majority of the trips were nice, nice weather. We were always able to swim in the ocean and the pool. But, then again I swim in Maine!

My sister ended up marrying our taxi driver and now lives there. So it is very convenient to have a brother-in-law as a taxi driver.

I just went for Christmas and the weather was beautiful! 70's and blue, blue sky. There wer 2 days that I swam. The locals thought I was crazy! I ended up having to come home after only 5 days of my scheduled 2 weeks because my MIL died.

Sooooo, I just booked to go back. This time with my husband, for 2/8/08 for two weeks.

The first week we will stay with my sister at the St. George's Club (that's where the time share is) and she treats herself for the week of her birthday. The 2nd week we think we will continue our stay at the SGC but enjoy the place just the 2 of us as my sister and brother-in-law will be going back to work.

Sorry to be so long winded. But, I sure would go in May, the weather should be nice. Happy 5th Anniversary!

cmcfong Jan 13th, 2008 07:49 AM

bhonoreh, I was happy to see your post that you and your DH will be able to visit Bermuda. I am very sorry about the death of your MIL and your mother's illness, but glad you have found a way to begin the healing. Safe travels

emcash Jan 13th, 2008 09:19 AM

Thanks Bhonoreh- sorry about your MIL. My DH really wants to do some water sports while there and said he doesn't want to go in May if the water will be chilly. we may go in the summer though, which would be GREAT! Thanks everyone.

bhonoreh Jan 13th, 2008 02:07 PM

Thank you cmcfong and emcash.

Weadles Jan 14th, 2008 01:30 PM

We visited Bermuda at the end of last May. We had to wear sweatshirts on the beach most of the week, and the water was pretty cold. So I think it would be best to go later in the season.

emcash Jan 14th, 2008 02:48 PM

Thanks everyone- I think we've ruled this out for our anniversary trip and perhaps will go later in the summer with our daughter. Many thanks to the posters.

girlonthego Jan 14th, 2008 06:19 PM

emcash: Summer is Bermuda's high season. I would recommend waiting if you want it to be really warm. We have gone in May and October in recent years and October was much warmer.
The best time would be late June/early July. Sort of pre hurricane season time. Weather and water would be warm. Your daughter would enjoy it too. My kids did.

emcash Jan 15th, 2008 03:38 AM

Thanks Girlonthego. we;ve actually been in July and august and had great weather both times. thinking of maybe going in august for my birthday now, though we'll be rolling the dice with hurricanes... Thanks for posting!

bhonoreh Jan 15th, 2008 06:11 AM

August can be very hot and humid! Beware.

thehideout Jan 15th, 2008 06:45 AM

Bermuda is our favorite island in the world. I started going there when I was 18 years old ... got engaged to a Bermudian fireman ... got unengaged ... but kept going back with friends and family. The scooters are just the best way to see the island although I don't know if I would still try it at my age. We always went in the middle of the summer which was very hot or in Novembe which was on the cooler side and not for swimming.