Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Bermuda - Getting around (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/bermuda-getting-around-667515/)

rholt Jan 5th, 2007 09:51 AM

Bermuda - Getting around

My wife and I will be staying in Cambridge Beaches Resort (Sandys) in May.

My questions are - given the above home base -

a) What is the best way to get around the island given that I don't want to spend a fortune in taxis.

b) I have seen references to renting scooters - but what about just old-fashioned bicycles.

Thanks,

Rick

cmcfong Jan 5th, 2007 10:04 AM

Bermuda has an excellent public transportation system. Buses and ferries run regularly. You can buy a pass at the airport information desk next to baggage claim.
Bicycles are available for rent and would be lots of fun on the Bermuda Railway Trail. Althought I bike at home, I would not think it an ideal way to get around Bermuda generally. The roads are very narrow and while there are some bikers, I don't think it is particularly bike friendly. I ride the mopeds (rented from Mrs Thomas at Elbow Beach Rentals...first class operation, bikes in good shape and careful pre ride instruction) during the day. I do love the freedom they give me.

tpatricco Jan 5th, 2007 11:36 AM

I just stayed at 9 Beaches in Sandy's which is very near Cambridge Beaches Resort. One of the things I disliked was feeling "trapped" without a scooter to get around on the island.

cmcfong is right about the busses & ferries being good for getting around Bermuda in general. We did this and it worked out ok.

Locally, there is a "minibus" that will take you around in the vicinity. Figure it was $5 per person each way from your resort to the Dockyard. That adds up quick. Our resort did provide bikes to borrow. I'm not in the greatest shape right now, but I wouldn't have wanted to ride much further than back and forth to Somerset for dinner.

IMO, it's best to rent a scooter or two if you're comfortable driving them.

RobertoB Jan 5th, 2007 12:27 PM

Just to reemphasize the previous responses. While Bermuda in theory, no hills, would be a great island to bike, as I recall there are virtually no shoulders on the roads. Scooters allow the most flexibility but only if you're comfortable with them.

The public transportation system is excellent but be aware of the schedules. I thought the buses stopped earlier in the evening to the outer areas such as Sandys. Keep in mind, that with the pass you can also use the bus/ferry to reach Hamilton.

However you choose to get around, it's a great island.

Ashley24 Jan 6th, 2007 04:18 PM

My sister and I used the buses and had no trouble at all getting where we needed to go. Waits can be 20 minutes at times but very convienent and economical. We were able to purchase our bus tickets at our hotel (Elbow Beach). But we watched others use the scooters and I was envious...it looks like a lot of fun...if I was going with my dh, I would definately try the scooter for at least one day (nice dry day). The only thing that would bother me is that some of the roads are not clearly marked and have several turn arounds and forks in the road. I would worry about getting lost and not being able to look at a map while driving.