COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Bermuda - Family Friendly Options (Also considering PR)

Old Jan 31st, 2010, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

We're looking to travel to Bermuda (or Puerto Rico, but leaning toward Bermuda at the moment). In the cursory search I have done thus far, nothing "family friendly" has jumped out at me. We will be bringing our then-11-month-old with us. Does anyone have suggestions on "family-friendly" accomodations?

Also, the pricing seems quite high in Bermuda. Is that the norm? I am only looking at resorts as I don't think an 11 month old is welcome at an intimate B and B! LOL. Anyway, I am seeing $350 per night and up for lodging alone. I was hoping for about $200 per night. Should I be looking to travel elsewhere?

Thanks for your guidance again!
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 07:51 AM

Family friendly resorts include:
Pompano Beach
Fairmont Southhampton Princess and Fairmont Hamilton Princess
Clairfont apartments
Sandpiper apartments
a number of cottages/apartments available on
www.bermudaaccommodations.com and www.bermudagetaway.com

The best budget options are the apartment/cottage rentals as there is no tax. Bermuda is a fantastic destination; but, you are right it does tend to be a bit more expensive than some other islands. However it is a convenient flight from the East Coast. Right now occupancy on accommodations is way down and Bermuda deals are happening. Check on the www.bermudatourism.com website for sales. When you are ready to book, call the property and see if you can find a lower rate.
If you go Sept or later you may find prices well below what is being offered during the summer months (Bermuda's high season).
Have fun!
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, I will investigate the accomodation links! Yes, we are considering Bermuda, since it's a mere 2.5 hour flight from NYC, and with a baby in tow, we're capping flight time at 4 hours! Thanks again...
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 10:05 AM

Keep checking back to see if txgirlinbda posts to this question, newlywed. She has a little girl and may be able to offer some good ideas about things to do with a little one.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 06:18 AM

Bermuda is expensive, no doubt about that. Look at Rosemont Apartments - they have little kitchens in the rooms, my DH's siblings stay there when they visit with the kids.
If you want a full-service resort, I'd go with Fairmont Southampton if you can get a good deal. Again, a fridge in the room so you can get basic groceries and avaoid eating out every meal will go a long way at controlling expenses.
If you settle on Bermuda, let me know and I'll give you a list of stuff to do with your little one. (I totally agree with the short flight decision!)
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 08:56 AM

We loved Bermuda - but did find it very expensive - especially for dining options.

Noone has mentioned this so I could be wrong - but it might be difficult to get around on Bermuda since you can't rent a car. You would have to take taxis everywhere...
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 10:58 AM

I travel on the bus with DD all the time, when DH has the car and car seat, I won't take her in taxis, but the bus is okay. Cheap, safe and easy, and goes everywhere.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 03:14 PM

oops, my bad. I never even thought of the bus!
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 04:50 PM

LOL - trust me - coming from the States where we all had our own vehicles, I never would have considered taking the bus - it took some getting used to, but now I love it! (Not that we have much choice here- obviously you know how expensive the taxis can get, and we're only allowed one car!!)
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 03:49 AM

only allowed one car by law! Wow!
Imagine how much our carbon footprint would be reduced here in the states if that went into effect!
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 06:45 AM

We stayed at the Fairmont Southampton hotel and it is very family friendly. We had our teenagers with us. I think this would be a great hotel for you. We took the bus everywhere, but there are also taxis.
We stopped at the grocery store on our way from the airport and picked up snacks and drinks for our room. It was great having them with the teens as I am sure with the baby. Bermuda is a beautiful and family friendly island. The most expensive thing was the food.
Oh and join Fairmont's President's club. We did and last year we went to Bermuda for 129 per night. The rooms are normally about 500-600 per night. So, maybe they will run some specials again? Good luck.
Puerto Rico has it's nice points, but can't compare in beauty to Bermuda. I found PR to be a dirty island and I have family there..
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 05:37 PM

We have been 2x -
Cambridge Beaches - unbelievably beautiful but not for kids
Went back with kids (8-11) for family wedding and stayed at Pompano. I couldn't say enough about the place. The beach is much smaller than pictured but there is a warm charm about the place - to say nothing about the views. The food is good - they have an inclusive package and it is definitely for families. Took the bus around and it was great. Got to see a bit of the island at the end of the day. Had lunch at the Fairmont downtown which was great.

It is definitely expensive. Can't do anything about that part.

have fun!
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! We've decided on Puerto Rico, but haven't booked yet. Looking to rent a condo there. Thanks again!