Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Bermuda experts: Vacation next week- but worried about weather?

Aug 25th, 2010, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

We are supposed to visit Bermuda next week. But I am a bit nervous about a washout, since it looks like Danielle and Earl are possibly both on track to brush or come very close to Bermuda. How neurotic should I be?? We are already within the 1-day cancellation period, but would lose everything if I wait much longer.

Thanks so much for your help!
Aug 25th, 2010, 06:11 AM

Sorry, I know this isn't what you want to hear but it doesn't look very promising for you. All one can suggest is for you to track the storm(s) progress on one of the many hurricane websites (that's what the locals do) and decided for yourself if you are comfortable with the situation.

Here's a list:
www.stormcarib.com (this site has a tool you can use to calculate how cloes the storm will come to any given location)
www.crownweather.com
www.nhc.noaa.gov
www.weathercarib.com
www.wunderground.com

Right now, it looks like Danielle's eye will pass within 150 miles of Bermuda sometime between next Sunday and Monday. That means the island will be affected by the storm. Add to that there's another tropical disturbance not far behind that probably will develope into a major storm and more or less follow the same tracking as Danielle.

You may want to alter your plans. While it may be too late for you this is a good example why people planning to visit islands during hurricane season should consider purchasing Trip Interruption Insurance if they cannot afford the possibility of, as you say, "losing everything".
Aug 25th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, RoamsAround. You're pretty much confirming my own thoughts on this subject.
Luckily, I think we have coverage through one of our credit cards. If not, I should have done what I usually do and bought trip coverage!
Aug 25th, 2010, 06:50 AM

Listen, for what's it's worth you probably won't "lose everything" if you postpone your trip. While you probably have non-refundable airline tickest you usually have one year to resuse the ticket(s) and all you'll pay is a relatively small re-ticketing fee. Also, if a major storm is threating the islands some airlines will allow you to reschedule your flight without incurring any penalty. You should call your airline directly to find out.

Regarding your hotel, have you pre-paid for your accomodations or have you only guaranteed your reservations with a credit card. If it's the latter you may only be responsible for the first night's room charge. Also, like the airlines your hotel/resort probably has a different cancellation policy when the island is under a storm warning. Again, try calling your hotel to see if the will give you some consideration.

Hopefully, you can reschedule your trip with little or no extra cost.
Aug 25th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, RoamsAround. Unfortunately, we can't reschedule, but I have spoken to the hotel, and it looks like they'll be flexible if/when Danielle and Earl become a problem. At the moment, the owner is saying that Danielle poses more of a problem to the island than Earl, although it's too soon to tell for sure. We have until next Tues to figure it out, so by then the predictions will hopefully be more accurate for which course these storms are taking.

In the meantime, thanks again!
Aug 26th, 2010, 03:52 AM

Weadles, I hope if you decide to go you will have a wonderful trip.
Aug 26th, 2010, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks,cmcfong,but it looks like this is not the time to visit Bermuda. If the latest predictions are correct, both storms will be near to or over Bermuda within the next week or so. I hope that everyone on the island will come through them in one piece.
Nov 16th, 2010, 04:02 AM

I love Bermuda and have found ways to enjoy it without breaking the bank.
Accomodations: right now there is a deal offered by many of the hotels to stay two nights, get the third one free. Year round good prices can be found for flat rentals at www.bermudarentals.com and www.bermudagetaway.com
Transportation: buy a bus/ferry pass Bermuda's public transportation system is on time, well operated, clean and inexpensive.
Food: The Miles Grocery take away is first rate, perfect for picnics on the beautiful beaches. Restaurants which are good for tight budgets are:
Traditions
Kathy's Koffee
Lemon Tree
Hog Penny Pub
Frog and Onion Pub
Paraquet
La Trattoria
North Rock Brewing company

To enjoy the higher end restaurants for lower prices go at lunch, especially the Sunday brunches which can be most reasonable.

Bermuda is safe, clean and absolutely beautiful. Go, have a great time!