Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Bequia: Friendship or Plantation House? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/bequia-friendship-or-plantation-house-488996/)

nankar Dec 3rd, 2004 08:12 AM

Bequia: Friendship or Plantation House?

Has anyone been to Bequia lately? We are trying to choose between Friendship Bay Resort and the Plantation House which has just reopened. Any information would be appreciated.

owa Dec 3rd, 2004 02:00 PM

I was really surprised to see that Planation House was open. We were there in March and it looked like it had been closed for awhile and needed a lot of work. We walked to Friendship from the Gingerbread House where we stayed. I don't know if anyone was staying there as it was extremely quiet. We walked around and only saw someone sweeping the bar area. If you like action, it would be very quiet compared to the other side of the island by the Port. Owa

Traveler863 Dec 3rd, 2004 05:42 PM

Also check out the Old Fort Hotel, only 6 rooms, not beachfront but one great place!

Howard Dec 6th, 2004 02:34 AM

Glad to see that the Plantation House has reopened. I vacationed in Bequia a year ago, and the P. House needed a lot of work.

Due to its location, I would pick the Plantation House. Friendship Bay Resort is not near much of anything (restaurants, shops), although it is in a lovely setting.

nankar Dec 6th, 2004 07:09 AM

Howard: Thank you for your reply. We still have not made a decision! I am hesitant to book Plantation without seeing its present condition and the photos on the web are very limited. How far is the Friendship from town? Could we walk or bike or would we need a rental car? Thanks so much, Karen

Howard Dec 6th, 2004 08:59 AM

nankar -

You can walk from Friendship Bay Resort to the main town in about 45 minutes to an hour. It is maybe about 2 miles, including up a hill of approx. 500 feet elevation. It is a very nice walk, but the walk constitutes an "activity" - 90 minutes to 2 hrs. for the walk plus whatever time you spend once there.

However, for most people, doing it more than a few times in say a week would be too much, and you probably would not want to return walk after a dinner if it is dark out. I'm not sure a car is worth it - it would not be to me.

If you are only going to the town a few times, you could walk once or twice and take a cab once or twice.

Howard Dec 6th, 2004 09:03 AM

BTW, have you thought of staying at either the Gingerbreah House or Frangipani? Both are very nice, and located on the Belmost Walkway, the same as the Plantation House.

nankar Dec 6th, 2004 10:30 AM

Hi Howard: Thanks for your reply. We checked out the Gingerbread and Frangipani but they had limited availability. We do like to try different restaurants and go out for a drink at night so we would probably be going into town every day. Would you recommend Friendship or taking a chance on the Plantation? Thanks again. Karen

curiousx Dec 17th, 2004 12:56 PM

Given your preferences, I would agree with Howard and recommend the Plantation House (reopening this December) over Friendship Bay.

www.bequia.net has some good pictures of the refurbished Planation House, and other info which give me some confidence that the new owners are serious and experienced. I am looking forward to checking it out myself in a couple of months. here's the url for the pix http://www.bequia.net/plantationhouse/index.htm

Friendship Bay beach suffered Ivan damage with loss of sand and the hotel beach bar was particularly affected. Over the years, the hotel level of service, maintenance and food varies from spectacular to dismal and it is hard to say where the swing is at the present time.

TPlough Jan 21st, 2005 02:20 PM

My wife and I just got back this week after a month in Bequia - our 18th visit. Plantation House looks great- back to its old self. Friendship beach area will need a bit more time to get repaired. Yes, you can walk from Friendship, take a taxi or walk up the hill 10 minutes to the "dollar bus" stop (dance hall on wheels). If this is your first time, stay at Plantation House. You'll be at one end of the Belmont walk which is terrific. Catch the Thursday BBQ at the Frangi, and a beach day Sunday afternoon at De Reef in Lower Bay - take a water taxi. One night take a taxi (Gideon Taxi) to Lower Bay and have a drink and dinner at Coco's. If you want to dive the only place is Bequia Dive Adventures, next to Mac's Pizza, - Dave, Lawrie and Ron are just superb. Most important - slow down half a step, acknowledge the locals with a nod or good evening- the locals think North Americans are way too tightly wound.