Notices

Bequia - Best restaurants & food

Dec 16th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Bequia - Best restaurants & food

My husband and I are planning a 3-week long stay in Bequia at the end of March / beginning of April (staying at Village apartments). One of my favorite parts of travel is hearing from others their "can't miss" restaurants & food. Any favorites? It can be a hole in the wall and out of the way - I'm just looking for the best food.

Also, we will be there for Easter regatta. Is there anything we shouldn't miss during this event?

Thank you in advance!
Dec 16th, 2009, 03:34 PM

Oh my, I have such delightful memories of Bequia-before the airport was constructed!

We sailed in, on the yacht Orient Express, a charter sailing yacht where my brother-in-law and his wife were Captain and Chef. Admiralty Bay is where the Regatta begins, and do get on the water to watch the fun. The Frangi Pangi- which seems to be out of Casablanca, has wonderful local food, and you can meet many interesting individuals who moor in Admiralty Bay for the season, it is a sailors paradise- and hopefully get an invite on their boat.

There are "jump-ups"- the ferry from St. Vincent will be filled with people attending the land activities associated with the regatta- and the food is wonderful. There will be replicas of the Bequia boats, that the local men take to sea, on the once a year the whale hunting expedition, and an arts and crafts fair. Have a guide take you to the caves- the failed architectural buildings at the far end of the island. They are amazing.

The people are quiet, friendly, and proud. I am sure you will love this part of the Grenadines.
Dec 17th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much - the regatta sounds like a blast. I've heard mixed reviews about Frangipangi - although I'm sure we will try it out.
Dec 20th, 2009, 07:50 PM

While I loved Bequia and would go back again in a heartbeat, we never had a really great meal while we were there. Most meals were perfectly fine but nothing I would write home about. I thought the food at the Frangi jump-up buffet was laughable, but their other meals were passable. We enjoyed Mac's pizza and the ice cream parlor next door. Tante Pearl's was just fine, as was lunch at the Crescent Beach hotel. we were starved by the time we at lunch at Dawn's on the beach one afternoon so the hamburgers and fries tasted fantastic, but I think that had more to do with how hungry we were. The Green Boley offered excellent value for their various rotis. Honestly, I think that the best food we had that week was on the Friendship Rose daysail--fresh pain au chocolat, freshly squeezed orange juice, French press coffee, freshly caught and grilled fish.

Search this Thread