Beautiful Beaches - Monkeys, excursions & jungle

Jan 3rd, 2017, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Beautiful Beaches - Monkeys, excursions & jungle

I need help - I've been searching for weeks trying to decide what island to go to. I've spent countless hours reading forums and reviews. And I'm afraid it seems like I have to choose between beautiful beaches and fun things to do.
This is what i'm looking for - Beautiful beaches, I particularly like the ones that are in a cove. I need clear beautiful water, something like Trunk Bay on St.John.
BUT...I also need plenty to do. My fiance will not be cool with just laying on the beach all day every day. We are really into wildlife, monkeys specifically. It would make my honeymoon to be able to see a monkey up close! Also snorkeling, hiking/waterfalls, zip-lining, ruins, and water sports.

I'd also like to stay at a nice resort, no over the top expensive but we can splurge sense it's our honeymoon. I would like an AI, but not a HUGE AI like you find in Mexico, riviera.

Does anyone have a suggestion on an island that will have a nice resort, beautiful beaches, AND plenty things to do? Pleeeease help me
Jan 3rd, 2017, 07:41 AM

Cancun? Puerto Rico? Jamaica? Barbados?
Jan 3rd, 2017, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Cancun would be the exact opposite of the kind of place I'd want to go. It's a huge touristy party town, completely americanized. I want to feel like I'm actually in a different country.

I will look into Puerto Rico and Barbados, have you been to both?

Thanks for the input
Jan 3rd, 2017, 07:58 AM

Guadeloupe has it all except monkeys. There are some but in a park/zoo.
They even speak French so no chance to feel in the U.S.
Jan 3rd, 2017, 08:03 AM

It sounds to me as if you want to go to Costa Rica, Honduras, or Belize. Of these, you'll find everything you want near Manuel Antonio National Park, where there is lodging within walking distance of the park.

The next choice would be Belize, which has both beautiful beaches and monkeys (though they aren't in the same place); the beaches are on the cayes and are beautiful, but there is little to do there that isn't water oriented, and you can easily split your time between the jungle and beach). Roatan in Honduras also has monkeys, but they are captive, not wild.

Monkeys aren't really endemic to the Caribbean islands, though they do have some green vervet monkeys on St. Kitts and Barbados.
Jan 3rd, 2017, 08:19 AM

Look into the resorts on Grenada. Some nice white sand beaches combined with a ton of nature...rainforests, fascinating gardens, dark sand beaches. We saw Mona monkeys in Grand Etang National park. St Georges is a vibrant capital city worth exploring - fort, spice markets. Seems ideal if you are looking for a combination of jungle and beach.
Jan 3rd, 2017, 10:35 AM

Yes, I have been to Puerto Rico and Barbados. Cancun actually has everything. You have great beaches in close proximity to ruins and jungle. It is actually quite easy to get away from the crowds, much easier there than in other places.
Jan 3rd, 2017, 11:33 AM

Look at Akumal Bay Beach and Wellness Resort. It's about an hour south of Cancun, and not in a built up area at all. It sits on a beautiful beach that has world-class snorkeling right out front. The resort is small, and all rooms are oceanfront. Prices are very reasonable. It hits just about everything on your activities list accept monkeys...which are still possible.
Jan 3rd, 2017, 05:29 PM

Akumal is a good idea.
Jan 4th, 2017, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the input. This helps give narrow down where I should be looking. I truly appreciate it!