Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Beachfront or Commodore Rooms at Bitter End? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/beachfront-or-commodore-rooms-at-bitter-end-59622/)

KARA Jan 10th, 2000 05:59 AM

Beachfront or Commodore Rooms at Bitter End?

HI <BR>I am going on my honeymoon to Bitter End. Anyone know the difference in rooms. Beachfront sounds great but from the pictures they don't look like you walk out onto the beach. Also, how far up the hill are the Commodore rooms? Can anyone recommend a specific room I should ask for? Thanks

Maurie Jan 12th, 2000 11:32 AM

Vacationed for a week at the Bitter End during the month of March several years ago. Definitely go for the rooms on the hill. That is where I stayed and it was the most beautiful view of any resort/hotel I have ever been! We were one level from the top of the hill with a beautiful garden shower. It can be a bit of a hike, but they do have jitneys (golf carts) that they run up and down (until 11 p.m.) and cart people around. From the Bitter End you can hike over a hill and get to the Atlantic Side. Very easy hike - a lot of people run it for exercise. The other rooms (while not being inside them) were not very private. Good Luck

waggie Jan 22nd, 2000 01:43 PM

Ditto to hillside or beachfront villas -- whichever they are called -- it looks a bit confusing on the site. We stayed hillside there 3 years ago. Rooms have no A/C or phone, but they are quite nice and very islandy. Much nicer than the commodore rooms with the phone and A/C, we thought, as we looked at those while there. Hillside had plenty of breezes. You can look out at the Caribbean while showering in your bathroom. Don't think you can do that in the other rooms -- at least not the one we looked at. And, they were every bit the hike, if not more, than the hillside ones are. Have a great trip!

Joel Jan 22nd, 2000 03:14 PM

Must be a swim team grad of USNA... and probably a newly minted O-3. SWO, I hope. None of that airdale trash. <BR>But to your question, my wife and I were there in 99 as visitors. We were staying at Biras Creek about .5 miles from BEYC. We thought the accomodations looked pleasant, although the smell of diesel was in the air all the time (shouldn't bother you). Seriously, some of the rooms are a considerable walk from the restaurant and are especially far from the beach and pool. These would be the rooms on the upper level to the left looking from the sound. It's a hike and if you forgot your book or whatever you'd eat up 30 minutes fetching it. <BR>Have a good time. Sailing in the sound is spectacular and the marina at BEYC is very well equipped.

Joel Jan 23rd, 2000 04:20 PM

Kara, my wife reminded me that a room on the right side BE (as seen from the sound)was a better situation wrt the sun, overall privacy, and because she peeked in some of the rooms and found them quite spacious and inviting. I would guess that the dimensions of all the rooms of a type were the same. Clearly, the rooms higher up would have a knock-out view. Happy honeymooning. Take a walk via the trail over to Biras Creek for dinner in their restaurant. We found the food at Biras to be extraordinary and the food at BE to be so-so.

Louis Jan 23rd, 2000 04:56 PM

At Bitter End you are on the leeward side of the island so you have little breeze. So, look for a room with A/C no matter where it is located. As you get to summer you will enjoy A/C. Some of their rooms are from the old Trade Winds properties which are also on the side of the hill. These rooms are nice but hot unless they have put in A/C. There is no real beach in my definition at the Bitter End so you are better off up the hill away from the traffic of boat people with kids. If you can afford it, switch to Biras Creek. It is on the other side of the island in walking distance to the Bitter End which is really dedicated to yacht people and their families. This is not all bad particularly if you have children.

Kara Kouloheras Feb 29th, 2000 06:42 AM

Hi everyone, <BR>Thanks for the tips. We decided on Bitter End and got a decent price $2900 for two for 7 nights, all inclusive admiral's honeymoon package, which included commodore suites (which are evidently now called chalets and are the ones located up high on hill). I am really excited, but we could have afforded Biras Creek and now I am having second thoughts since many people are raving about Biras Creek. Oh, well!! To Joel---are you a Navy grad? Hi if you are and thanks for the info---GO SWO!

Joel Mar 4th, 2000 03:15 PM

Nope. NROTC U. of Virginia. 1970. We were just transitioning from sail to paddle wheel back then. You will like BE, I feel sure. Particularly, if you're into boating. Can't imagine that you're not. They have some nice rentals there well suited to the Sound. Some nice snorkeling in the Sound. All beaches, whether part of a resort or not, are public property, so do not feel you can't drop the hook and swim in for some sun bathing where you choose.