Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Beaches Varadero (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/beaches-varadero-37933/)

Rob Feb 3rd, 1999 03:19 PM

Beaches Varadero

Hi, anyone have any info on what's up with this resort? The opening date keeps getting pushed back, from Nov 98 to sometime in the next week or two. Has anyone stayed nearby recently? How did it look? A bunch of us are booked for the first week of May and any info would be great. Thanks!!

Sheila Feb 6th, 1999 04:43 PM

Well, we're in the same boat....we've officially been told.....opening Mar 7. We are booked to arrive Apr.18, and probably are doing the riskiest bit of travel we've done yet....in other words....we threw caution to the wind with this one. Will let you know how it was on our return. They're probably working on "Cuban time". I heard it is an old hotel, sold, and gutted for a new one......Hope we can get compensation from Beaches if it sucks.

caravelle.les.corsaires Feb 7th, 1999 12:19 AM

I have not been at the beaches resorts because it is not opened yet, but when i was in varadero i passed by what is supposed to be the beaches resorts and it did not look to me like an old hotel being refurbished like the previous responder seems to suggest. i have been to varadero in many occassions and i would have know of the resort that supposedly was there in place of beaches. dont quote on this, since i cannot be 100% sure, but i was pretty sure that this resort is a new one. i have read many internet articles, many of them from cuban newspapers announcing the opening and building of this resort, and it said "new resort", not refurbished resort. So there,. good luck and enjoy your trip, and i hope that the resort is finally opened by your departure date. Another good resort that will probably have a similar atmosphere as the Beaches(very couply, adults only) is the superclubs club Varadero. This resort is run by famous Superclubs, also of jamaica, and is an older 4.5 stars resort,opened in 1992, i think. It is very well kept, and is one of varadero 's most recognized resorts. THe service is excellent, the food is very good, there is lots and lots of couples, almost all guests are couples, ok entertainment, confortable rooms, all being either suites or junior suites, 3 jacuzzis, 2 with ocean view etc. i think there is some messages posted about this resort. i was there, and i liked it, very couply and adults only, so there, if you are thinking of a different resort with similar atmosphere and quality. HAVE A GOOD TIME

Rob Feb 7th, 1999 05:17 AM

I hope that my official opening date of March 1 is accurate .....since we are booked for arrival March 6. The "soft opening" is scheduled for approx Feb 20 <BR>so We'll wait to hear how it is from our contact at Sandals. Or better yet.. <BR>personal experience! Will let you know.

Rob Feb 16th, 1999 05:58 PM

Spoke with Unique Vacations (Sandals) <BR>today and was advised that the opening is definately March 1. Apparently they have a couple large groups from South America coming in before the official opening. Looks like We can be guinea pigs on this one....Plan on being there on March 6