Beaches T&C...I'm Scared

Old Feb 17th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beaches T&C...I'm Scared

Hi Folks. I am looking for advice for my family vacation. I am used to upscale resorts (like Cap Juluca), but I have a family now, a 2 year old and a 4 year old, and I am considering a trip to Beaches in Provo. I am not allergic to more modest accomodations, so long as they are not skeezy and not too annoying (I hate places like disneyland). I wanted to go the The Palms, but it's just too expensive this time of year, and I figured the kids might have fun at Beaches. Is this place decent?
Thanks in advance,
Andrew
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Some backround on my travels:
Barbados (3 times) Sam Lord's Castle (now defunct). I loved it! A little run down towards the end, but the best and biggest beach on Barbados- wish someone would buy it and refurbish it.
Aruba- Some run down dump on Palm Beach- room smelled like mold, but I was young and had fun.
St. Maarten- South Bay Beach Hotel- A dump, and it was like coney island just let out on the pool- got a rental car and enjoyed the french side of the island.
Anguilla- Cap Juluca- The best ever-what a beach! What Luxury!
Puerto Rico- Sands, eh, not so much!

Beaches T and C??
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 12:39 PM

Look into the Sands Resort. At the Sands you can get a 1 or 2 bedroom and spread out a bit, if you ask for building 3 on the 1 st floor your two year old can take a nap while you sit out side your screened in balcony very close to the pool, and still see and hear the baby napping on the sofa bed. They also have a small baby pool, and a child friendly restaurant
They just remodeled the Sands.
www.thesandsresort.com
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

For a long time I obsessed on The Sands, then I started obsessing on The Palms. Since The Palms is a fortune until April, I started thinking Beaches, but the video scared me..seems like cheesy overstimulation. Any decent all-inclusives that are kids friendly?
In the meantime, I'll revisit The Sands Website..thanks for your tis!
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 12:58 PM

Beaches is not in the same league as Cap J. For that, you need Palms, Somerset, Grace Bay Club, etc.

Really you're comparing apples to oranges-you can't expect Cap at below Cap J prices anywhere.

The Sands was recently refurbished, and very nice. It's very kid friendly, and has an excellent kid friendly restaurant on the beach.

Beaches is decent, but it is an older property. They have Sesame Street characters for the kids, and it's geared towards kids-

quite frankly, if you're used to Cap J, for the money you'll get more out of The Sands. (and for more comporable, check out Palms and Somerset-call them directly for specials.) Travel in off season, great specials will come up. You don't have to travel when school lets out-since your kids are younger-I would travel when specials allow the upscale you crave.

Beaches to Provo is closest to a Disneyland.
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 01:10 PM

We went to Beaches in Provo a few years ago due to a very good deal. At that time there was an entire new addition added. It was very nice and new. of course this was 5 years ago so not as new now. The older section was closest to the beach. It obvious is family friendly, and caters to kids of course that is the point. One doesn't pick a place like that if they are not considering the kids. There are shows every night for the kids. (magic shows,etc). I think for a family with children it is a nice place and your children would enjoy it quite a bit. The food is not bad, either. When we were there all the kids seemed to be having a ball. So good luck in your decision.
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Blamona-
Thanks. Seems like Beaches has dropped to the bottom of the list. When I was writing the list of places that I have stayed in the Caribbean, I realized that Cap J was an exception. I've stayed at some modest places and always make the best of it.
I am so overdue for a vacation, I'm working on 5 nights starting March 11th. I've got the airfare direct fr NY figure out.
If I end up at The Sands, and don't want to cook myself, am I going to go broke at the restaurant? Will I get bored with the selection and have to head elsewhere?
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 02:06 PM

We just returned from Provo and stayed at the Sibonne on Grace Bay. However, I would not recommend it for kids as it is a small hotel with small rooms. We walked by the Beaches several times and it was very crowded with lots going on. I would never stay there. Too busy and too crowded. We met a family that stayed at the SAnds and they loved it. Hemmingways restaurant is there and is very good. Also nice pool.
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 06:21 PM

afinecompany:
truthfully, unless you plan to drink all day, Beaches will cost more than eating out. Plus the restaurants on Provo are awesome.

To get some ideas:

www.wherewhenhow.tc

menus, some prices, etc.

On Wed nights, go to Tiki Hut, ribs are $13 (and they are awesome!), and superfriendly kids place.
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks A Million! Now I'm tossed up between Alexandra and Parrot Cay (not sure if they are flexible about rates and what it would cost to get there..I emailed them). Any input on those 2?
Thanks!
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 06:56 AM

We just returned from Royal West Indies which we love & ran into a couple in a taxi returning from The Alexandra.They loved the Alexandra.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Well, turns out that The Palms is sold out when I want it...So, I have 2 finalists:
The Alexandra
Ocean Club Resorts
So, last thoughts before I book myself? Remember I have 2 little kids and like a degree of luxury.
Thanks!
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 04:26 PM

You really should consider The Somerset-you want luxury, luxury is what you'll get. Zero entry pool, excellent for kids. Right next door to Palms, so kids wil meet plenty of kids.

The other consideration would be Grace Bay Club-but there is construction on 2 sides, so hard to recommend until it's done-other than that it's fantastic.

Alexandra and Ocean Clubs are not luxurious, they are "comfortable".

The Sands would be my next bet if you can't get Somerset.

Old Feb 19th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Blamona-
Thanks again.
I was really inclined to go with The sands, but they don't have the dates available that I was looking for. The Somerset looks nice, but considering that I live for the oceanview room, $900/night without food is kinda up there (I was looking to keep it to $1000 per night including meals for the 4 of us. Should I suck it up and get a garden view for less or get a view at the Alexandra or Ocean Club??
Torn here...gotta figure it out quick..I'm booking tomorrow.
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 01:34 PM

When we went to T and C in in 10/2005, we stayed at the Sands and loved it. We walked the beach on both sides of the Sands pretty much to where the beach ends. During our walks most of the time the different resorts only had a moderate amount of people on their beaches with only one row of beach lounge chairs. The glaring exception was Beaches. They had several rows of chairs and the people seemed packed in like sardines. There are many very nice resorts to choose from in T and C, but I would not recommend Beaches.
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 07:51 PM

If you do make reservations at the Alexandra make sure you are in the Lady Rose Building on the 2nd floor or above that is the ocean front building with the better decor and great views.
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 03:42 AM

Have you considered Turks and Caicos Club? We had oceanfront rooms there, and they were really quite nice. We don't travel with children, but there were some there and they seemed to be enjoying themselves. You can walk next door to snorkel the reef at Coral Gardens.
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Well, it's come down to my final moment of decision. I am back to choosing between Alexandra and Ocean Club West. I'm leaning towards Ocean Club West, mainly because they have a better website, and I can figure the place out better than the Alexandra.
Both have 2 bedroom suites in the low $600's per night. I can spare some luxury for the space and being on the oceanfront....
Just about to do it!
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone!
I have decided on a 2 bed beachfront suite at OCW. I ended up getting a decent deal (a little negotiation involved), and locked it in in the low $600's per night. I'll be there for 6 nights, and I can't wait. Ok, I understand that it's not the swankiest place, but with 2 kids, I'm opting for space and view.
I will post my review when I get back.
Thanks Again!
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 11:54 AM

Hi. I had to reply about Beaches. We have been twice ('02,'06). We were pleasantly surprised the first time which is why we returned. You are paying everything upfront whether or not you use all they have to offer. But knowing that - it makes it a completely stress free vacation. Wide variety of tasty food;the 2 adult only restaurants are great - food and service. It was full capacity both times there - but we never felt crowded. You did have to get a beach hut between 8 and 9am, but for us that was no problem. We have 4 children and the 2nd time there were two families. We have been to Riviera Maya, GC, Aruba, Bahamas. We have a wide age range of kids - the older ones want to go back to an island with more to do - but we all would go back to Beaches in a heartbeat. Good luck and just have fun - vacationing with kids in our minds needs to be as easy as possible. I think Beaches gave us that experience.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -