Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Beaches Negril, can it be done for less than $2000?

Nov 30th, 2001, 12:45 PM
Tom

My wife, 1-year old daughter, and I are planning a trip to Beaches Negril in mid-January. We're getting pricing of ~$2200 each including airfare. Has anyone done better? We'll be flying out of Boston. Also, as we are considering an economical alternative, is RIU Tropical Bay a good choice for us with our 1-year old?

Nov 30th, 2001, 06:13 PM
Kim

RUI is just down the beach from Beaches, its on the same beach. I think it would be a good choice if the price is better.

Nov 30th, 2001, 06:18 PM
MJ

Beaches is worth the money but Riu is comparable and newer and they do have some great deals going on right now! Beaches is more modern deluxe (Sandals family of resorts) while the Riu has a little more island personality in the style and decor!

Dec 1st, 2001, 06:48 AM
Chris

Just got back 29/11/01 from Beaches Inn now called Beaches Sandy Bay with 2 children. We found the staff at Beaches Inn to be one the nicest and friendliest of all the resorts we have vistied. Beaches Negril staff were very cold, unpleasent,rude, and stuck up; something our children noticed right away! It was great returning to Beaches Inn where we felt more like family and the staff cared about our children. Remember big is not always better. You may also want to consider FDR resort in Runaway Bay. Each family is assigned a vacation nanny so the parents get a vacation too! Can't say enough about how much our children enjoyed this place! Maybe pricey? Stayed at FDR last year,11/00.
Didn't stay there this year because we booked too late. I have heard great things about RUI however, no one has posted anything about taking children there.

Dec 1st, 2001, 06:59 AM
Mary

Chris,
The places you mentioned are nice but not as well located or as deluxe as what Tom was asking about! I didn't have such a bad experience at Beaches; in fact, I loved it! I'm sorry your experience wasn't as good!

Dec 1st, 2001, 08:29 AM
Melissa

I stayed at Beaches Negril and staff was excellent.

Have you considered going out of Montreal? It is not that far from Boston and your dollar is worth alot.

I am a travel agent, and I put in 12 Jan to 19 Jan with Air Canada Vacations.
The price is $2809.00 Canadian, which works out to be about $1750.56 US. This is a direct flight with Air Canada to Mobay, round trip transfers and the all inclusives. Your one year old is free. If you can't drive to Montreal, Air Canada has direct flights from Boston for $422 Canadian or $263.00 US including tax. This works out to around $2014 US with the air from Boston to Montreal and Montreal to Mobay. The one hitch is you would have to overnight in Canada on your way home.

Think about it.

Dec 1st, 2001, 08:58 AM
Melissa

I was also curious about the price of the Riu it is $1999.00 CAD per person which is $1249.00 USD and Beaches Sandy BAy is $2499.00 CAD which is $1562.00 USD. Also with Air Canada Vacations, and including air from Montreal.

Dec 2nd, 2001, 04:22 PM
Barry

RIU is a winner .See other messages re. Riu on this site. I just back last week and it was a wonderful...Great location,friendly staff and the food was good....I saw many couples with young children....

Dec 4th, 2001, 06:08 AM
Tom

Thanks for the replies. My wife and I went to Beaches Turks & Caicos in 2000, which we enjoyed, so we thought we'd try another Beaches, but we're experiencing sticker shock. We're intrigued by RIU Tropical Bay, but having a tough time contacting the resort to find out what they offer for 1-year old infant care/activities. Their web site phone number is for a wholesaler that knows very little about such details. Any thoughts on where I can get this information?