Beaches at Turks & Caicos or FDR in Jamaica?

Mar 14th, 2001, 07:32 AM
Jeanne

Beaches at Turks & Caicos or FDR in Jamaica?

We are planning a Feb 2002 vacation with our two children (5 and 2). We are trying to decide between Beaches at Turks & Caicos or FDR on Jamaica. Any advice / suggstions would be greatly appreciated. My 5 year old is a very active boy!

Mar 14th, 2001, 08:14 AM
traveler

We have been to both resorts. Liked each one for different reasons but I think Beaches Turks wins.
At FDR the resort is nice but the beach is small. The nanny's are great, everyone we talked to raved about the great care the nanny's give the kids. The food was good, not great.
At Beaches the beach is FANTASTIC. The childcare is great, not nannys but a great care center. There are many more choices for meals, which is nice with kids, but also wonderful restaurants for the adults. If you dive or even want to try it you can do the resort certifcation at both. The diving is great at each and dive masters really take care of you. The boats in Turks are newer and much nicer, they specicalize in diving.
If money is not an issue go for the concierge level rooms at Beaches or a tow bedroom at FDR. At Beaches we had a stocked fridge with water, sodas, beer, wine, A basket of chips, cookies and snacks each refilled daily. That was a very nice touch. Also with the concierge level you get a specical snorkel trip and they will get you into the reservations only restaurants if they are full. Be sure to make your dinner reservations as soon as you get to the resort if there is somewhere special you want eat. Be sure to have one dinner at the Adults only white glove restaurant, excellent! Enjoy!

Mar 14th, 2001, 10:49 AM
Connie

Can you tell me a little more about the diving at Beaches Turks and Caicos? We're planning a January 2002 trip and I've read a couple of reviews that talk about how crowded the dive boats are. Is this true? My husband and I are both certified and wanted to do 2 dives per day. Any tips you can provide would be appreciated. Glad to hear your comment about the concierge level. Thanks!

Mar 15th, 2001, 10:01 AM
traveler

I don't dive, my husband does but he didn't mention any crowds on the dive boat. He did say the diving was great, the dive staff was friendly and careful. Go for the upgraded rooms, they are beautiful and romantic. Don't expect ocean views, there is a small dune like in the outter banks so none of the rooms have a straight ocean view. Our room was in the older section with a sunken jaccuzzi tub, living room, two tvs and a huge balcony with french doors from either the bedroom or living room. We loved it!!
The snorkeling was very nice too, I saw 5 sea turtles one morning, a schoool of silver squid, a ray and a nurse shark.
And don't forget to take time out to sail.

Mar 15th, 2001, 03:41 PM
Connie

Thank you for the information! The snorkeling at Turks and Caicos sounds as good as the diving. Thanks again!

Mar 16th, 2001, 03:07 PM
Anon

I would think twice about T&C in Feb. It might not be as warm as you would like it to be. T&C is better in the spring, summer or fall. In winter it just is a little nippy. You can do the beach and everything, but the water isn't as warm and the breeze is cool. We froze our asses off there in Dec. once.

Mar 17th, 2001, 10:00 AM
Diane

Jeanne, We have been two years both in Feb.and the water was wonderful. I think you will really enjoy your vacation if you go to Beaches. Enjoy!

Mar 18th, 2001, 08:09 AM
George

Beaches hands down, the FDR resort is not worth the money and you will say you had a nice stay but not a great one, the Beaches resort although pricey is a great value for all you get. I placed several clients there all have been impressed and happy, just a little gunshy with the initial price,
George

Mar 18th, 2001, 08:43 AM
Paul

In fairness to FDR.....I've followed these bulletin boards for years.
I've never seen a "poor" rating for FDR but have seen many "very unhappy" ratings for Beaches Turks & Caicos. It seems that B, T & Caicos is at the very least inconsistant. For my money I'd rather go somewhere that appreciates us and tries harder to please. IMHO

Mar 18th, 2001, 08:44 AM
Paul

In fairness to FDR.....I've followed these bulletin boards for years.
I've never seen a "poor" rating for FDR but have seen many "very unhappy" ratings for Beaches Turks & Caicos. It seems that B, T & Caicos is at the very least inconsistant. For my money I'd rather go somewhere that appreciates us and tries harder to please. IMHO