Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Beaches and Water in St. Lucia (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/beaches-and-water-in-st-lucia-493478/)

outofoffice Jan 7th, 2005 11:43 AM

Beaches and Water in St. Lucia

How are the beaches and water in St. Lucia, particularly at the Jalousie Hilton? We are traveling with a toddler and I would like a safe beach for swimming.

ejcrowe Jan 7th, 2005 12:12 PM

The beach at Jalousie is beautiful and calm, although small. They imported white sand to lay down over the dark sand, which creates for a lovely contrast between the deep blue water and the light sand. St. Lucia is a volcanic island the the drop-off from shore is pretty steep compared to several other islands in the region. That said, the cove is very sheltered and the water calm.

I can't answer for other beaches--I saw several from my vantage point in the helicopter but did not experience them. They looked lush and tropical with darker sand.

outofoffice Jan 7th, 2005 12:23 PM

Thanks for your response. It sounds like you stayed at Jalousie before. If so, do you have any other opinions about the hotel, such as the rooms, pool and food? Whether to stay in an Ocean villa or Sugar Mill room? We are currently looking at Jalousie or Glitter Bay in Barbados, and if we decide to splurge, Jumby Bay or Carlisle Bay in Antigua. I'm just not sure if Jumby and Carlisle Bay are worth more than double the price of Jalousie.

ejcrowe Jan 7th, 2005 12:50 PM

My first vacation in the Caribbean was at the Jalousie, so as corny as it sounds, it has a special place in my memory. I was completely unprepared for how stunning the natural beauty of St. Lucia, particularly the setting between the Pitons, would be.

I personally wouldn't dream of staying in the Sugar Mill rooms there, although with a toddler they admittedly would mean much less traipsing back and forth, which is a very good thing. We stayed in a villa suite that was spacious and private and we spent lots of time in the early mornings and late afternoons on the patio with our private plunge pool. The wet bar is by the pool, so it's a perfect place to enjoy a cocktail.

The pool area was lovely and usually there were more people there than on the beach during my July visit. I'm a beach person myself, so I only walked through the pool area.

The food is mostly mediocre, I'm afraid to say. Breakfast was generally my favorite meal, as they offered fresh local fruits and juices then. It's pricey, so if you can get a package with breakfast included, it's worth it. Lunches were decent, served down at the beach bar--mostly salads & sandwiches. Dinner was pretty bleak in our opinion, especially theme nights and the fine dining in the Plantation Room. However, with a toddler, the theme nights at the Pier restaurant could be good, i.e. familiar--there was an Italian night and a beach BBQ. I think your toddler would be enthralled by the entertainment show at Bang, the restaurant next door. Every Wednesday they offer a prix-fixe menu with dancing, live music, acrobats, fire eaters, etc. for entertainment.

I can't compare it to the other places you're considering as I've never been there, but of them, only Jumby Bay appeals to me and I intend to get there one day. If budget is of a concern, I'd recommend looking into Long Bay Hotel on Antigua as a place that is child friendly without strictly catering to families. Small hotel on a calm beach AND a calm lagoon with good food, wonderful staff, and great value. One of their cottages would give you plenty of room for the kiddo in addition to providing a refrigerator to keep water, juice, and snacks for the toddler. www.longbayhotel.com

Kimberly Jan 8th, 2005 05:50 AM

The beach at the Jalousie is in a cove and the water is very calm, you should not have any worries.ENJOY!!!