Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Beach in barbados (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/beach-in-barbados-541350/)

ROBY Jul 3rd, 2005 02:25 PM

Beach in barbados

Hi,

we like so much beach and sea. We decide to go in Barbados next august, Is this a good idea?

R&R

xkenx Jul 3rd, 2005 02:47 PM

Barbados is a wonderful island, with a variety of beaches---calm west coast beaches, small waves southwest coast, meduim waves southeast coast, and big surf east coast.

MIM04 Jul 3rd, 2005 03:43 PM

Barbados is a fabulous island. There is so much to see and do. The west coast beaches are the best on the island. The west coast is often refered to as the Platinum Coast. There are lots of resorts in this area. What type of accommodation are you looking for?

ROBY Jul 4th, 2005 06:04 AM

Thank you so much for your reponse.
We have 4 different solutions for accomodation, The House (paynes Bay) or Little Arches (enterprise coast road) or The Craine (but there are maintenance working....)or Little Good Harbour hotel (st. peter). We are looking for a quiet hotel without watersports.
I think Barbados is a beatiful island but when I saw the fodors destinations I noted that barbados is the unique destinations without "the best beach" and I asked to myself why??
Some friends of mine tell me bad information about beach ( no white sandy beaches, no blue water etc.etc.) Now our dubius is to go or change island .....(st. Johns or St. Thomas or cayman because we find a direct flight from NY).
Do you confirm me that this informations are wrong?
Thank you very much for your help

R R

xkenx Jul 4th, 2005 06:44 AM

Barbados' beaches are nice, but not like those on St.John. Barbados is one of the most interesting islands you can visit, with lots of sightseeing, great restaurants, nitelife, etc. The House is just an expensive section of Tamarind Cove Hotel, an ordinary place. The class act is Coral Reef Club. See www.barbados.org and www.coralreefbarbados.com
For the very best in classic Caribbean beachfront living, it's Caneel Bay on St.John. It has SEVEN tree-shaded white sand beaches, crystal clear water, wade-in snorkeling. Another classic is Jamaica Inn in Ocho Rios, Jamaica. Small, intimate, quiet, private beach. See www.jamaicainn.com

MIM04 Jul 4th, 2005 06:51 AM

The beaches there are beautiful, so I am not sure why anyone would tell you otherwise.
Of those hotels I think either The House or Little Good Harbour would be the best (assuming no watersports) which I am sure you have looked. The Crane is nice, but it is built high on a cliff and the beach is very low and you have to walk down to it. Plus with construction I would not stay there. The other place you mentioned Little Arches is in Oistins which is nice, but I think the west coast is better (paynes bay area)
The beaches are different than St John & St Thomas.
St Thomas there really is not a hotel as nice as these on the beach that would fit what you are looking for. Maybe look into Caneel Bay on St John but again its a larger resort than what you seem to want.
I don't think for a minute you would be unhappy with Barbados. It is a fabulous place.
Make sure you have dinner at the Cliff. One of the best restaurants in the world. Rated on Fodors, the only Caribbean restaurant to make the list of the top 50. It is fabulous. I had dinner there and it was one of the best meals I have ever had.

MIM04 Jul 4th, 2005 06:51 AM

Also, this site

http://www.barbados.org/bcwest.htm

has lots of pics of Barbados beaches so you can have a look. :)

starfish1 Jul 4th, 2005 08:04 AM

Although it is a very nice resort, Little Good Harbour doesn't have much of a beach. Also check out Coral Sands Resort - great beach and great location on the island.

MIM04 Jul 4th, 2005 12:41 PM

Coral Sands beach is great however, the hotel does not have the amenities I think the OP is looking for.

curiousx Jul 4th, 2005 05:49 PM

Little Arches is a small boutique hotel across the road from Miami Beach (also called Enterprise Beach).

IMHO, Miami Beach is one of the nicest I have been to in Barbados. Compared to the West Coast beaches with which I am familiar (e.g. Holetown, Mullins), the big advantage, from my point of view, is the absence of hassling vendors and noisy instrusive watersports. The water is beautiful, and there is lots of natural shade on the beach.

The rooftop restaurant at Little Arches is excellent.

ROBY Jul 11th, 2005 12:43 PM

Thank you a lot to everyone for your reponse.

Roby

starfish1 Jul 11th, 2005 01:32 PM

Hi Roby,

Let us know where you decide to go and how it turns out. Hope you enjoy!

blamona Jul 11th, 2005 03:54 PM

The beach in front of Accra Beach Resort wasn nice, on the south side of the island, where to waters were calm. I didn't stay there but walked through and it seemed like a nice place to stay.
I think the most beautiful beach in Barbados is Bottom Bay, which shows up in their commercials. Cool beach, but not hotels on it. Don't miss it!!

starfish1 Jul 12th, 2005 04:34 AM

Hi Blamona,
I'm heading to Barbados in November - where is Bottom Bay? This will be our third visit and I haven't heard of it. Something new to discover - thanks alot! :)

blamona Jul 12th, 2005 08:01 AM

starfish1: If you're going from the airport towards Crane Beach, pass Sam Lords Castle, SLC is on Long Bay, after Long Bay the next cove is Bottom Bay. BB has rocks for cliffs, and lot's of palm trees on the beach, this is the beach featured on all their postcards and on their TV commercials. No facilities, so bring food and drinks. I think it's the coolest, prettiest beach on Barbados.
ROBY: The beaches on Barbados are nice, and you can actually take a day trip to Tobago Cays from Barbados, it does require a flight and Catamaran, any hotel in Barbados can arrange it, you go to Union Island, Palm Island, Petit St. Vincent, Mopion, and Tobago Cays, which are spectacular. Worth every penny.

starfish1 Jul 12th, 2005 05:09 PM

Thanks blamona! I will also look into a day trip to Tobago Cays as we are looking to do something a bit different from our other visits which, other than a catamaran cruise, were strictly "on" island. Appreciate the info.