Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Be careful if you're using Delta to GC (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/be-careful-if-youre-using-delta-to-gc-300984/)

acummings Mar 26th, 2003 06:23 AM

Be careful if you're using Delta to GC

Folks,<BR><BR>Wanted to give y'all a heads up if you're using Delta to Grand Cayman this summer. We booked on Delta in February for a trip to GC in May, and accidently found out last night that they no longer fly there on Tuesdays and Thursdays (we were planning to return on a Tuesday). I only found out because I was curious what the current fare was, and couldn't find a return flight on the Tuesday we were leaving.<BR><BR>They had changed our reservation to leave GC on Monday (to Atlanta) and then leave Atlanta to Denver on our scheduled flight on Tuesday.<BR><BR>They hadn't bothered to notify us of this little change, and their web site notice about schedule changes due to the war says specifically &quot;Currently, our Latin American, Caribbean and transpacific flights will not be affected.&quot; I thought Grand Cayman was in the Caribbean.<BR><BR>Luckily, they let us cancel without penalty, and we got a cheaper web fare on American.<BR><BR>So, just a heads up.

Tia Mar 26th, 2003 01:02 PM

Good to know! Taking Delta to Miami and then Cayman Airways to Grand Cayman, so don't have to worry about that. However, we've never flown Delta in all our years of travel. Just wondering if you've had other bad experiences with them?<BR><BR>Tia

acummings Mar 28th, 2003 06:47 AM

Tia,<BR><BR>I've only flown Delta a couple of times, but I don't recall any other problems with them (although we used to call them &quot;Doesn't Even Leave The Airport&quot; - which was appropriate for our situation this time). I'd just suggest calling them every so often to make sure nothing has changed. Have fun!

Jefl Mar 28th, 2003 07:20 AM

Just returned back from the Carribean &amp; used Delta. Over the years we have flown different airlines, experienced different problems / issues (not every time, but here and there as most of us experience). However, what I noticed this time was the lack of customer service we received from Delta (and let me tell you, there were problems!). I have rarely been treated so rudely by the staff of a service oriented organization - was our last trip on Delta Airlines.

Tia Mar 28th, 2003 07:52 AM

I have experienced that already. Delta changed our flight (worked out well because we're actually on a better one now--MUCH better!), but when I called to find out what was going on (the web site was indicating I had purchased two tickets for myself and I started freaking out!!) I was slapped on hold for over 15 mintues with no explanation whatsoever other than they changed our flight. The person I spoke to was argumentative right from the get go and didn't offer any info before slapping me on hold AGAIN!!!! Things worked out. I hung up in a huff, went to the gym to work off my stress, and then went to the web site the next day in additon to calling the automated service to get things straightend out. Long story short, I agree with your comments thus far about poor customer service (although things did work out even better for us) and long waits. Hopefully, when we actually fly, things will go fine. I don't expect first class treatment for an economy ticket, but I do expect to be treated kindly and with respect in a timely manner.

lkemerson Mar 31st, 2003 05:03 PM

This about freaked us 'new travelers' out. I called the 1-800 number and talked to a great customer service gal from Cincinnati. She assured me that our flight out of Detroit for the 22nd of April [a Tuesday] was still scheduled to go out, as planned, as was our return trip. We have a layover in Atlanta...could that be the difference? She said as far as she could see, and her superiors were telling her, we were fine.<BR><BR>As an overthinker, I will be calling them weekly just to check and be safe!?!?!?<BR><BR>Karen

sandiegojoe Mar 31st, 2003 06:56 PM

It's not just delta cancelling flights... Air Jamaica cancelled one of their non-stop LA to MB flights and stuck us with the red eye.<BR><BR>With rising fuel costs on top of people being afraid to fly the airlines are rescheduling quite a bit.<BR><BR>As for delta customer service. I personally find them to be the best in the industry. I imagine any screwups and difficulties could stem from them losing 10% of their workforce and the resulting restructuring and relocating of employees.<BR><BR>

acummings Apr 3rd, 2003 10:20 AM

Karen,<BR><BR>I believe that the Delta changes (no Grand Cayman on Tues/Thurs) must start around the 1st of May, so that's probably why you're ok. Probably a good idea to confirm occasionally, though.<BR><BR>Lise

BeachBoi Apr 4th, 2003 08:21 AM

jefl--<BR>&quot;service oriented organization&quot;.Delta is not!! I too have experienced gruesome treatment and I avoid flying DL if I can.The root of their probs is that all 5 or 6 top dawgs at Dl are NOT airline people.They all come from manufacturing.Thus the lack of service orientation.I listen to people all the time complaining abot Delta this and Delta that.Yes they have fans and a lot of them.But when I hear TravelAgents continually talk of &quot;hate&quot; towards an airline then I have to agree that there is no love lost with DL.

Patty Apr 4th, 2003 02:58 PM

I don't think this is limited to just Delta. All airlines right now are cutting flights. I have several trips scheduled between now and July and check flight status about once to week to see if there have been any changes. I think it's a good idea to follow up on your own as it may take a while for the airlines to contact all affected passengers (I know ideally they should be contacting you immediately but the reality is very different). <BR><BR>I also have to add that in 18+ years of flying on Delta I have only had positive experiences with their customer service and frontline employees and hope that continues to be the case.