base for touring Puerto Rico

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2007, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where would be a good base for day trips to the sights in Puerto Rico?
We will spend 3 days on the north east coast. I'm planning on Ponce as the next stop. But where is a good spot for the north west part of the island? Or can we day-trip out of Ponce? We will not be visiting San Juan this trip.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Brutforce

Not a lot in Ponce unless you are a bit of an architecture buff. Try Rincon on the West side. A nice little town w/a cool surfing vibe, a variety of beaches & a few good restaurants as well...www.rincon-pr.com &/or www.rincon.org. If you want to spend mucho dinero, try the www.horneddorset.com. Probably the best place to stay on the island. You'll also be close to the rain forest www.casacubuy.com (in the NE).

Old Oct 29th, 2007, 10:02 AM

Yes, I'd skip Ponce and go to Rincon, though Ponce could certainly be a base for exploration of the rest of the island.

The Horned Dorset is extremely expensive, though certainly very nice and is, as Brutforce says, the best upscale hotel in the island.

There are a lot of more modest places in Rincon, and some of the beaches in the area are quite nice.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info - I'm considering the Rincon Beach Resort. Any comments? Still think we might spend a couple of days in Ponce.
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 11:30 AM

Take it from this "Neuyorican", rincon is nice and has a cool surfers vibe, but the beach is certainly far from the best for swimming, and has eroded substantially.
Here is my idea of the grand tour in 7 days. I would proably venture to Dorado 1st day, then head to Rincon in the AM ,venturing to La Posa, which is below the lighthouse in Arecibo, for a swim amongst its one a kind beauty. I'd probably stay in rincon for 2 days. Then I would venture to Ponce for a day. The reason? Although it has lost some of its beauty and appeal It was PR's first capital and maintains a vast supply of terrfic museums and historical monuments and statues. Stay at the Melia!

I would then venture east to Coamo and take a soak in the natural springs there while heading to Humacao, Fajardo, or Luquillo for a couple of nights, from there you can see El Yunque, or chill at the beach.

I would spend the last day or two in San Juan. Make sure to see El Morro, Its is Awesome, and the lawn in front of it reminds me of the sheep meadow in central park, as people litter the landscape picnicking or flying kites!

Hope its useful, Disfrutar.