Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Barbuda: Our Own Private Paradise (w/ stops in Antigua and Montserrat) (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/barbuda-our-own-private-paradise-w-stops-in-antigua-and-montserrat-803844/)

caribtraveler Aug 30th, 2009 04:27 PM

Barbuda: Our Own Private Paradise (w/ stops in Antigua and Montserrat)

http://www.nbptravel.com/barbuda.html

mymoosie Aug 30th, 2009 05:29 PM

What an AWESOME trip Nadine! Happy Anniversary to you and your hubby! The food looked divine. I love the photo of the kids with their bright crocs! :-)

Thanks for sharing your trip. Where to next?

blamona Aug 30th, 2009 06:07 PM

I was almost in Barbuda! We decided San Salvador Bahamas instead, just returned yesterday.

We almost met! Would have been cool.

blamona Aug 30th, 2009 06:13 PM

PS, as always, love your trip reports and pictures!

brenandg Aug 30th, 2009 06:24 PM

Bravo! Another fabulous report :) Lucky for me I have not had any problems with viewing the pics the last couple of reports.

Callaloo Aug 31st, 2009 03:25 AM

Wow!! Looks like a wonderful trip. You've given me some ideas for my next milestone anniversary ... Loved spending 3 days at Barbuda on a boat, but staying at Lighthouse Point looks even better!

caribtraveler Aug 31st, 2009 05:06 AM

Thanks everyone! It really was a great trip.

Mymoosie: St. John is next, first week of November.

Blamona: I thought about you. Totally your kind of place.

Brenda: Glad you could see the report with no problem this time!

Callaloo: We booked through a Luxury Link auction. Great discount.

mnag Aug 31st, 2009 05:42 AM

Wonderful report and pics. Happy Anniversary.

SAnParis2 Aug 31st, 2009 08:50 AM

Excellent report. It is too bad you didn't have sufficient time to visit Montserrat itself. The people there are absolutely wonderful as are the 'people-free' black sand beaches. Much of what you have pictures of from the air, we visited a couple of years ago. Don't know if you can get back into Plymouth now or not though, as they have continued to move the 'Exclusion Zone' farther north. Thanks for the Antigua info as well, I have considered the Wind Chimes Inn myself. Happy travels !

ejcrowe Aug 31st, 2009 10:06 AM

Another fantastic trip report! I've been wanting to try Barbuda for quite a few years now but there never seemed to be a place in our price range. I'd love to make it to the Lighthouse before their prices rocket up. I think coupling a stay with our old favorite, Long Bay Hotel, with a new place like that would be perfect for us.

Would you take Patrick on a future trip or is it more couple oriented? Did you feel that 5 nights was long enough?

caribtraveler Aug 31st, 2009 11:30 AM

Thanks mnag! It's not till October but it sure was fun celebrating it early in such a beautiful place! :-)

SAnParis2: I've considered spending some time on Montserrat but I have to admit the volcano's activity makes me a bit nervous!

Emily: I think the prices are already a bit high. Luxury Link is definitely the way to go! 5 nights is long enough if you want to see all of what the island has to offer. We actually had 5 full days (instead of 4) since we stayed a night in Antigua and took the first flight out the next morning. Whenever we go back, we'll probably bid on a 3-night package if that option is offered again on LL. Personally, I think it's more couple oriented.

kellybeaches Aug 31st, 2009 11:38 AM

Caribtraveler, Great TR-thanks for sharing! That beach looks amazing.

brenandg Aug 31st, 2009 05:23 PM

Nadine, How cool, you are going to STJ! Where are you staying? Too bad we will miss you by a few weeks. It would have been great to meet. Is Patrick going? Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

caribtraveler Sep 1st, 2009 11:40 AM

Oh bummer. Yes it would have been great to meet. When are you going?? Patrick is going. We're only going for 4 nights and staying at Caneel. His first ever trip to the Caribbean was St. John almost 6 years ago. Not that he'd remember. We're looking forward to the return trip. We really loved the island when we visited then.

greenie Sep 1st, 2009 01:35 PM

Thanks for the awesome report. That helicopter ride looked scary. You are brave!

Peace, Greenie

brenandg Sep 1st, 2009 04:09 PM

We are leaving on Thanksgiving for 9 nights. I am very excited to be going for more than a week this time :).

SAnParis2 Sep 2nd, 2009 04:51 AM

The volcano is active all the time, the only thing that you will notice is the occasional rumble or 'ash shower'. There are a couple of places that you can watch at night which are really cool. They really won't let you get close to anywhere that you may have any trouble.

barbudahotel Sep 16th, 2009 02:13 PM

Hi Nadine,
Barbuda misses you! I am in Maryland enjoying family time. The new photos will uploaded to the site shortly, once the editing is done. We thank you for visiting our little slice of paradise and hope to see you back soon.
Mo

caribtraveler Sep 19th, 2009 03:27 AM

Hi Mo! We miss it too. Work has been so busy for Brian and me that the trip feels like it was months ago. :(
Anyway, can't wait to see David's work.