barbados...what can you tell me about it?

Jul 8th, 2002, 12:41 PM
geoff

barbados...what can you tell me about it?

I'm thinking of going to Barbados for my honeymoon. Is there good snorkeling, are the beaches nice, what are the people like, do they speak Spanish, English, French? Any suggestions on where to stay?

Jul 8th, 2002, 10:40 PM
s

They speak English! It's the only island in that region that speaks that unusual for the area language. People there cultivate their typical British culture with their women walking always ten feet behind, bareful and sometimes pregnant. Snorkling is OK. Beaches are nice BUT keep in mind that you will not be allowed to wear your swimsuit on any beach in Barbados. If you do, you'll be ticketed. It's OK to take your shoes off though. I personally appreciate that sort of ultra conservative life style. It keeps you out of trouble. Barbados is the island for me. Good luck.

Jul 9th, 2002, 05:30 AM
Julie

What? you can't wear your bathing suit on Barbados' beaches? Are you sure...

Jul 9th, 2002, 08:01 AM
Lois

Geoff,

The last poster obviously was a hoaxx.
Barbados is a beautiful island, 166 sq. miles - the eastern most in the Caribbean. It has British influence (they drive on the left), and you hear the accents. It is an English speaking island (as are several in the Caribbean).
The scenery is varied with dramatic cliffs and crashing waves on the Atlantic side of the island, to the calm Caribbean waters of the West Coast. Center island you will find sugar cane fields and unique chattel house type properties. If you are interested in more in-depth comments, please write me directly and I will share with you from my experiences over the years and give you suggestions on where to stay as well. Regards, Lois

Jul 9th, 2002, 08:02 AM
Lois

Geoff -
And YES you do wear bathing suits on the beaches -- nudity is frowned upon.

Lois

Jul 21st, 2002, 12:58 PM
Suzanne

I visited Barbados a few years ago on a cruise. I wish I could ahve stayed it was beautiful. I went on a sailing/ snorkel dinner cruise it was a blast. And yes I wore my bathing suit. I think Barbados would be a great pick.