Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Barbados vs St.Lucia (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/barbados-vs-st-lucia-184130/)

Confused Jan 21st, 2003 12:39 AM

Barbados vs St.Lucia

What are the pros and cons of either Island? I am planning a romantic getaway as a surprise for my husband. #1 on my list is great beaches and #1 on his list is the Caribbean experience as he has been to the Caribbean once (Barbados) as a child.<BR><BR>I took a look at the Villa Beach Cottages and find them very darling, in Barbados I am considering Coral Sands Beach Hotel.<BR><BR>Which to choose!!!??

Dawn Jan 21st, 2003 02:59 AM

I have not been to Barbados yet but we are planning to say at good little harbour, you may want to look at the little cottages there. I believe the website is www.goodlitteharbour.com

zzz Jan 21st, 2003 03:36 AM

I think if the choices are between the 2 I would choose Barbado's over St. Lucia. Barbados would have the better beaches between the 2. If you want to recreate his childhood experience then again Barbados. St. Lucia is a lush Island, but the beaches do not compare with Barbados. Just my opinion.

Anna Jan 21st, 2003 09:35 AM

Go to Barbados. Coral Sands has nice private patios. You can save a lot of money on some of the package deals they offer to Barbados. Many flights come in every day from everywhere. The island offers better beaches, but it also offers more than just beach life. The fish they serve down there is served with a lemon-herb butter and the poultry is good. West Indian culture is very evident with great sightseeing.

Lois Jan 24th, 2003 04:17 AM

We've been to both places and Barbados wins hands down. In Barbados you have white sand beaches &amp; gorgeous water -- this is not true in St. Lucia.<BR><BR>Also, year round St. Lucia gets A LOT more rain than Barbados - that can spoil a trip.<BR><BR>Also, many many more fabulous restaurants available in Barbados than St. Lucia.

x Jan 24th, 2003 05:50 AM

have you been to the accra beach resort on the south coast?

Mark Jan 24th, 2003 08:54 AM

I agree with the others. There is no beach in St. Lucia that can come close to those in Barbados. If memory serves me though the Coral Sands Beach Hotel is down near the St Lawrence Gap. For beautiful beaches you want to stay on the gold coast. The restaurants in Barbados are the best in the Carribean. May I suggest &quot; The Cliff&quot; It is incredably romantic but bring a healthy credit card and book long before you get to the island. One year I couldn't get a reservation for Valentines Day when I called in October. Good luck

Lois Jan 24th, 2003 09:28 AM

Accra is a nice hotel. The beach it is located on is busy with lots of locals and it has lots of waves.<BR><BR>If you want calm waters, Coral Sands is located on a fantastic beach - Sandy Beach - on the South Coast. We like this even better than the West Coast beaches, and the prices are better there than they are on the West Coast.<BR><BR>Of course, all of the fabulous restaurants are on the West Coast, so you will spend 20-25 minutes driving over there for dinner in the evening (which we do) if you stay on the South Coast.<BR><BR>The Cliff is the best restaurant on the island. A &quot;moderate price&quot; there might be $120-$150 US for dinner - that would be a starter each, main, bottle of moderately priced wine &amp; possibly coffee. Anything more than that would up the price. But it's well worth it for the ambience, gourmet food &amp; excellent service.

caribdreamn Feb 1st, 2003 11:17 AM

Oh!! I have so much to say!!<BR>Last year I spent two weeks in Barbados staying with a friend at the hotel her in laws own. <BR><BR>This year I went to St. Lucia for two weeks on my honeymoon. <BR><BR>So as you can imagine I have sooooo much to say.<BR><BR>They are totally different islands, in fact it is almost amusing how totally polar opposites they are. Barbados is very very very affluent and consequently very very very expensive...please note The Cliff is not exactly an affordable night out, but is romantic. St. Lucia is more traditional when it comes to West Indian economy. There are some equally romantic restaurants that dont cost as much.<BR><BR>Barbados is an island with beautiful beaches and beautiful crystal water. But is as flat as a pancake (I think it has one or two bumps in the center of the island) and when they clear out the sugar cane at harvest is BROWN!!! But the weather is almost always flawless.<BR><BR>St. Lucia has a couple of good beaches and one great one. But it is very mountainous and lush and has some extremely elegant resorts for a variety of costs. It is green all the time and the rain is infrequent and does not last long. There are tucked away spots to hide and get lost in your beer dreaming about a Caribbean life.<BR><BR>Barbados seems to have more of its own culture and feels less CARIBBEAN to me. Some of the local people were quite unfriendly and seem to have an edge.<BR><BR>St. Lucia is classic Caribbean. Steel pan music playing, small roads leading all over the mountainous island and the people were wonderful. They consistently went out of their way to be kind and friendly. Plus we were able to walk on our beach at night whereas in Barbados you are not supposed to go on the beach because of crime and an inability to protect tourists there.<BR><BR>Barbados has Sandy Lane Resort...<BR>St. Lucia has Jalousie, Ladera and Anse Chastenet<BR><BR>Barbados has drive through Cheffette!!!! yummy.<BR>St. Lucia has KFC<BR><BR>Barbados has Bridgetown which is a beautiful city. Great shopping (affluent island) and great restaurants.<BR>St. Lucia has Castries which we did not like and will not revisit.<BR><BR>BArbados has the west coast strip of resorts (BTW whoever mentione Little Good H. - well done fabulous taste, loved it!)<BR>St. Lucia has the entire west coast with Rodney Bay, Soufriere, Marigot Bay the Pitons.<BR><BR>Barbados has awesome surfing and St. Lucia does not.<BR><BR>Ok - I think I am done and if my friend sees this she will kick my butt -but for the record. She and her husband LOVED St. Lucia and were thrilled when we told them we were going there!!

Lois Feb 2nd, 2003 09:39 AM

Little Good Harbour is great, but at certain times of the year their beach is not much of one -- like late October. They are very honest with you if you write them directly with any questions you might have for the specific timeframe you are considering. It's quite nice. There are other properties that are great as well. I can elaborate if you are interested. Lois