Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Barbados vs Grenada (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/barbados-vs-grenada-1065990/)

2peasinapod Aug 2nd, 2015 03:34 AM

Barbados vs Grenada

I've wanted to go to Grenada for a while, and everything seems to be getting in my way. My husband and I want to do a vacation rental through VRBO, home away etc... however it is a lot cheaper to go with an AI to the Rex resort in Grenada. To do a flight alone is over half the price of the vacation with everything included. A travel agent suggested Barbados. I've been looking into it some and it does look appealing. The flights are more frequent and we have found a couple of rentals that we like. I was just wondering if someone could tell me a bit more about the island from someone who goes there. I want some time at the beach to sit and swim relax. I was drawn to Grenada with the tours of the Nutmeg/cocoa farms (we are farmers), I also like history. We want an island that is not to busy, or one that if you want to go to some tourist trap you can but you can also get away from it as well. One that you can walk/ drive around and not be in the middle of traffic/ rat race all the time or go to the beach and have hundreds of people there with you too. Can anyone tell me if Barbados will fit the bill, thanks

diann24 Aug 3rd, 2015 01:25 PM

We spent a week in Barbados last February. They drive on opposite then the U.S Not sure where you are coming from? It is a very British Island. People were friendly, the island is very pretty, one side the water is calmer then the other side. We stayed in Bouganvillea and we loved it there. Very relaxing. Food was so so. It could have been our choices I don't know. Many Canadian people frequent the island. It is a nice island and there are some interesting tours to take. It is a busy place as most of the islands are--I like good food so for that reason alone I probably would not return. I have been to Grenada only on a day cruise ship. (the Spice island) I liked it there and I thought the people were so friendly and nice. That means a lot to me. I smiled all the time while I was there. If money and flying time is an issue then stick with Barbados.

2peasinapod Aug 5th, 2015 06:00 AM

Thank you ! It's nicer to get feedback from someone who has been there, then to spend time looking at travel videos etc...

miggyjb Aug 6th, 2015 12:34 PM

There is another question like this on the forum. So you may want to check there for some more information. This past May I spent a week in Grenada for my honeymoon and I had an amazing time. We went the all inclusive route because that fits us, but we still were able to get out and see the island. I picked Grenada from the start because I wanted a place not too touristy, that had a lot of cool things to see. The Spice Island definitely did not disappoint. We went on several incredible tours and we even got to explore their downtown area. I was amazed how downtown, we felt like we were really the only tourist around. My favorite was the tour of the Cacao Farm, definitely unforgettable. I was amazed by all the different spices and plants that grow on the island. From learning where cinnamon really comes to learning all about nutmeg. However driving there is crazy, I would not encourage any foreigner to drive there. Even if you are used to driving on the opposite side of the road, the roads are tiny and they have their own special driving quirks. I would also say that walking is an option, but keep in mind that things are spread out and there aren't really any sidewalks unless you are in a very populated area. Also, its a very mountainous region so get ready for those hills. All in all I can't wait to go back. The people are super friendly and I liked being surrounded by so much nature ( everyone kept saying how non of the snakes and spiders on the island are poisonous). The only downside I would say is the cost of flight tickets, I watched ticket prices like a hawk for a whole year and I ended up paying about $700 roundtrip per person from the states. They really need more frequent flights, but I think this could be changing in the future.

brubenow Aug 7th, 2015 07:54 PM

I haven't been to Grenada but Barbados is fairly lush, rolling hills, one side of the island is very rocky and rough surf, the other is very calm and gorgeous. There are some very good restaurants. You can definitely rent a car and do some exploring It's not over-run with tourists at all.

2peasinapod Aug 11th, 2015 04:01 AM

Thanks everyone!