Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page > Barbados vs Aruba but looks like we'll end up in Grand Cayman
Notices

Barbados vs Aruba but looks like we'll end up in Grand Cayman

Jul 30th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Barbados vs Aruba but looks like we'll end up in Grand Cayman

Just wanted to post an update to my earlier post where I received some good feedback from fodorites. The Aruba feedback was helpful in steering my friends away from the Marriott. We were almost ready to book JFK to Barbados Hilton based on flights times, cost, activities and a desire to go to a new island that none of us had visited. I was not sold on the Hilton however (looks very boxy and has zero caribbean charm). Crane was in our budget, nicer, but I the beach looks too rough for our young ones. Other hotes were either significantly higher (fairmont/sandy lane) or were sold out for our dates. I happended to do a search on Grand Cayman on expedia and the Westin priced slightly lower and flights were more conviniently out of Newark. So although we were in the Caymans this past April (we stayed at a villa in the Rum point area) I think we are leaning towards a repeat visit. We enjoyed 7 mile beach (its a bit developed but the beach/water is pristine and the snorkelling was wonderful as well) and the many restaurants the island has to offer. Just wanted to provide an update on our tentative decision after lots of hours spent on pricing out various options...
Jul 31st, 2012, 04:01 AM

hi mnag, i've been dying to see barbados... did you look at bougainvillea? friends who could stay at dad's condo at crane prefer it. (when i win the lotto i will stay at sandy lane for sure)
what villa did you have at rum pt? we stayed in one called thatch hill & would like to go back to that area only in a different house. loved thatch hill - just want to try something new. did you go to the botanical gardens?
Jul 31st, 2012, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Hi Virginia, yes I looked at that property and liked it (lots of charm and good location) but it did seem a bit dated.
At Rum point we stayed at Villa Habana (link below). Liked the villa but the drive to 7 mile and the restaurants/town was long (40 min each way). The beach by the villa is great to walk but the water is full of turtle grass and not good for swimming. The botanical gardens were lovely and worth a visit. Our daughter loved the turtle farm and the snorkelling by Gov House was amazing.
http://www.vrbo.com/281003?cid=E_OWN...url_text_LPROP

Search this Thread