Barbados or Grand Cayman

Feb 20th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Barbados or Grand Cayman

Wondering if anyone that has benn to both Barbados and Grand Cayman would compare the 2 islands for me. I plan on taking my wife and 2 17 yr olds later this year. Does one have an advantage over the other or is it just personal preference and can't go wrong with either one? Thanks
Feb 20th, 2007, 08:39 AM

We have been to both many times and definitely prefer Barbados. We went to Grand Cayman for years and it just kept getting more & more expensive. It was also fairly heavily damanged in a hurricane a few yrs. ago and now the developers have moved in and are putting in a lot of very expensive luxury condos. There is more for 17 yr. olds to do in Barbados. Check postings on here about the great things about Barbados - we just returned 2 days ago and we had an amazing time. Safe,really friendly people, fabulous beaches and lots of restaurants from cheap & cheerful to elegant. Hope this helps.
Feb 20th, 2007, 10:27 AM

We visited both in 2006 and my personal preference is Barbados. Personally, I thought CGM was more expensive than BDS.

Both have great restaurants and hotels. CGM def. has better snorkeling.

Peace
Feb 20th, 2007, 02:02 PM

We have been to both. In fact, we just returned from Barbados on Friday. I think Barbados would be a better connection for you. It's actually a much prettier island with much more to do. Many restaurants are oceanfront. I think 17 year olds would be happier there.
Feb 21st, 2007, 04:46 AM

Hi RanMan
Barbados has much more local "culure and history" stuff and I agree would be better for the 17 year olds too, because there is all the night club, sports bar and tour activities stuff to do. A day at the races at the Garrison Savannah a real historical centre area, see the Barbados Activities section of www.destinationcaribbean.net on the right hand side of the home page where photos of George Washington house and the Barbados Museum nearby make for short visits where 17 yearolds can hang in there.
I like Grand Cayman too so really you cant go too wrong with either destination.
M
Feb 21st, 2007, 07:24 AM

I agree with previous posters.
Very important: If snorkeling is impt to you, forget Barbados-- not much there. Otherwise, we much prefer Barbados to Cayman. By the way, we like the St Lawrence Gap area in Barbados. Since there's no real snorkeling anyway, we like the fact that there's surf on that part of the island. And lots of good restaurants. And usually live music if the kids like to dance.