Looking for island vacation -- need hiking & nature activities for family

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2013, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking for a last-minute getaway over school spring break and are considering a trip to the islands. I have never been to the Carribean -- my husband has been once or twice. We have a child who is a true nature/animal lover and enjoy moderate hiking, exploring, and searching for wildlife. Not being big beach goers (we enjoy and hour or two here and there but would opt not to spend a day at the beach) I'm wondering if there is a destination that would work well for us. I've always been intrigued by the British VI but many of the resorts are exceptionally pricey (we don't mind paying a bit for nicer hotels but not looking to spend 600 plus a night) and not oriented towards families. Please reply with advice/suggestions. It's much appreciated.
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 10:14 AM

Hi. I would look into Dominica for what you want. Beautiful nture island - not a beach one.
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for recommendation. We are also very safety-conscious. Would this still be a good choice?
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 11:03 AM

Costa Rica
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 03:09 PM

Yes, Dominica (not to be confused with the Dominican Republic which is a different island) is very safe. It's an eco-tourist's and nature lover's delight. From what you stated in your original post it's a perfect island for you and it has lots of moderately priced resorts & hotels.
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 06:10 AM

Good day Buonconvento, i agree with m4r3 about St. Lucia, i have never been there but my colleague shave visited there. i did a presentation on the Island though and realise it brags it's Eco Tourism with the Gros Pitos and their wildlife rainforest. I would recommend my country which is Jamaica but there isnt much wildlife here, and if so they are spread wide apart like the Black River Safari and Mangroves with the crocodile tour/Ziplining with horseback trail and ATV with Chukka Cove or even the nature trail through fern gully or nature trail at the Dolphin Cove next door to the famous Dunns River
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 07:22 AM

You might want to look at St John also. It is largely national park- lots of hiking trails and wildlife. The ranger-guided Reef Bay hike is terrific. One thing,though, is that "last minute" and "spring break" are both killers for price and availability.;-)
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 09:05 AM
cw

We've stayed at the Hermitage in Nevis about four or five times. Every morning at about 7:00 a.m. and afternoon at about 5:00, the wild vervet monkeys come down from the rainforest and feast on the mango trees and whatever else they eat. It's a lot of fun to take photos of them and just sit there and watch from your porch.

Nevis has many walking trails and guides will take you on a hike through the rain forest to the top of the long-dormant volcano. It's a lush island with nice but not spectacular beaches. It has lots of good restaurants at all price levels and little shopping. Rent a car and spend time exploring the island--it's not large. Take a day trip to St. Kitts and visit Brimstone Hill Fortress. I know the Hermitage has some family cottages.
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 10:50 AM

Dominica & Montserrat immediately come to mind as does Puerto Rico. I have old trip reports on here re: both the latter...if you have an interest.
Old Mar 20th, 2013, 07:45 AM

St John, USVI has a large number of hiking trails. Some of the beaches have trails that lead to or from them - so you could combine a hike with a dip in the sea and hike back.

One of the best sites for St John hiking information/maps is http://www.trailbandit.org

If you go to St John consider the Brown Bay Trail. A short like ( 30 min each way) but there's a nice beach, extensive plantation ruins and the Johnny Horn Trail connects with it.