Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Barbados/ Mustiqe trip advice (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/barbados-mustiqe-trip-advice-594717/)

kwil Feb 27th, 2006 08:15 AM

Barbados/ Mustiqe trip advice

We will be going to Barbados and Mustique in May. We have the option of either 3nights Barb/ 6 nights Mustique or 4 nights Barb/ 5 nights Must. Have never been to either so we aren't sure which to pick.

Also, any special room recommendations at the Cotton House? We are staying in a Grenadine suite.

Any must-do's at either location would be appreciated. Thanks

MSQ Feb 27th, 2006 08:57 AM

The Grenadine Suites are great at the Cotton House. I also like the upper Messel Rooms.

How much time to spend on each island will really depend on what it is you are looking for in an island and where in Barbados you are staying.

Barbados is a large island with lots of resorts, restuarants, bars, night clubs and people. Mustique on the other hand in May will be very quite. Mustique only has about 80 villas and the Cotton House with its 15 rooms and Firefly with its 4 rooms.

So do you want an island mostly to yourselves where you can be romantic and be with each other, or do you want alot of activity?

Must do's in Mustique...nothing as in it is the best place on earth to just be and do nothing. However I would get to Basil's for at least one sun downer. The Home Owners have a cocktail reception at the Cotton House on Tuesday evenings for anyone staying on the island. This should not be missed as it gives you a chance to meet home owners, villa renters and other guests and maybe make some new friends or at least score a cocktail or dinner invitation. If you like to play tennis the island courts (not the Cotton House courts) are the place to be from about 4 pm on. If you like to horseback ride there is plenty of that, and if you like to dive the Mustique dive boat leaves from the Cotton House dock.

For my part the only reason I go to Barbados is to get to Mustique.....but that is only me.

Any other questions please feel free to ask.

xkenx Feb 27th, 2006 08:58 AM

Barbados has much more to see and do. You'll need more time there. Highlights of Barbados are Harrison's Cave, Flower Forest, Andromeda Gardens, Francia Plantation, Nature Preserve, Mt.Gay rum factory. See www.barbados.org Where are you staying?

mariasch Feb 27th, 2006 09:17 AM

It depends what you like. Mustique is very quiet. Other than the Cotton House and perhaps Happy Hour at the Firefly there is nothing to do. The beaches are stunning but empty. We stayed 9 days on Mustique and two nights in Barbados. Barbados is the complete opposite and I enjoyed it. We stayed at the Coral Reef Club in one of their suites w/ plunge pool. That was well worth the splurge. Whatever you choose, I would suggest Barbados at the end of your trip. No worries about the small plane from Mustique meeting your scheduled jet home from Barbados. Our flight home was delayed but because we were on Barbados we spent the delay swimming in the pool rather than sitting in the Barbados airport. As far as must- dos, there isn't much on Mustique-just relax. Don't miss the beaches on the opposite side of the island. Roads are a little tricky but what a view! On Barbados we loved our room and the Coral Reef Club so much we never left the grounds (!) Have a wonderful trip.

kwil Feb 27th, 2006 11:20 AM

Thanks for the info. We are staying at the Fairmont in Barbados. We were going to stay at the Coral Reef Club but they are closing for renovations while we are there. Also liked the fact that the Fairmont rooms are right on the water and we couldn't quite do Sandy Lane.

We have to do Barbados first as we are getting married there. As far as the Tuesday night cocktail party, we would be there on a tuesday only if we do 6 nights on Mustique. Is it worth it?

We are very laid back, love good food, but not really into "dressing for dinner" and such that seems to be the norm in Barbados. What about great but not so stuffy restraunts in Barbados? Unfortunately, we will miss the Friday night fish fry also (kind of an ordeal to get to barbados from the west coast).

Thanks for the help.

ScubaMom Feb 27th, 2006 01:04 PM

Wednesday night at Basils Bar is a must... wonderful, huge buffet and live band.

We loved to have lunch there too. One time we ordered two lobsters... while we were having a beer we noticed a guy from Basils wading out to a tiny boat and buying two lobsters from the fisherman. Yep, those were our two lobsters! Loved it!

We always do the Bed and Breakfast plan at Cotton House so we have an option for dinner. Sometimes we dined at Cotton House, some at Basils, and also did the FireFly for a nice change of pace.

While we really enjoyed Barbados on our first visit (back in 1987!), about 3 days was more than plenty to see the island and sights. After that time, we usually just overnight on our way to the Grenadines. We find Barbados outrageously expensive comparitively speaking.

Either way, you'll love your trip.

All the rooms at Cotton House are really nice.

MSQ Feb 28th, 2006 08:05 AM

You asked if the Tuesday night island cocktail was not to be missed..To be frank, in May there will not be alot of people on the islands, so while that party is hopping when the island is full, I would not base your travel around it.

Having said that it is a good way, if you enjoy cocktail parties, to meet those who are on the island including the people who run the island and for me as I have said I try and maximize my time on Mustique.