Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Barbados for mom and 15-year old daughter? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/barbados-for-mom-and-15-year-old-daughter-780946/)

Iza Apr 24th, 2009 07:25 AM

Barbados for mom and 15-year old daughter?

Hi everyone, we visited Barbados during a family cruise last summer and are now considering it as a destination for a weeklong vacation at the beginning of August. Both my daughter and I are very seasoned travellers but this would be our first girls only trip - we have always had my husband before to act as a guardian :-) Does anyone have any suggestions on small independent hotels or apartment hotels where we would be safe and would have a good selection of restaurants within safe walking distance? We are not planning to rent a car and are comfortable taking public transportation during the day but would probably not want to do that at night. Our hotel budget is up to $200 per night (if that includes breakfast, that's even better!) and we want a place located on the beach that has a pool. Basically, we want a relaxing week on a great beach with some limited exploring thrown in. Thanks in advance for all suggestions and recommendations! If Barbados doesn't work out for us, it will be a week at an AI in the Dominican Republic but I would definitely prefer to travel independently!!!

Tierom Apr 24th, 2009 12:58 PM

Hi Iza,

We have been to Barbados a couple of times, and on two of those occasions, have stayed at the Barbados Beach Club. The cost (probably now around $315 per night)is slightly more than your budget, however it is an all inclusive so all you do is leave your wallet in the safe.

Good luck!

Tierom

greenie Apr 24th, 2009 03:34 PM

Check the Southern Palms Beach Club. Walking distance to lots of resturants on a great beach!

Peace, Greenie

eileen Apr 25th, 2009 05:13 AM

Check out Peach and Quiet (yes, that's really the name). I know someone who stayed there by herself and really liked it.

KVR Apr 25th, 2009 06:43 AM

We've been researching Barbados for awhile. The Butterfly Beach Hotel is what has been recommend to us. It's close to St. Lawrance Gap, so walking distance to several restuants, but not right in the middle of it all. Public transportation is also convenient. We also have been looking at the Sandy Bay Beach Club, which is located in the heart of St. Lawrence Gap.

I understand that Peach & Quiet is pretty secluded and you will need a car in that location.

girlonthego Apr 25th, 2009 02:42 PM

There is a fairly new Hilton on Barbados. I have not been, but I have looked at it online because we collect Hilton pts.

Lois Apr 27th, 2009 07:23 AM

You might consider Southern Palms which is at the quiet end of The Gap, but walkable to all of the restaurants. Also consider Accra Beach Hotel -great beach there and rooms are lovely. It's closer to Bridgetown.

Coral Sands Beach Resort is on a great beach, but you would probably need to take a taxi into the Gap as the roads are narrow with not much room for walking, and I would not do it at night.

Many of the hotels in the Gap are reasonably priced, but the loud music from close by night spots goes on to the early morning hours and you would not get any sleep.

Lois
Barbados Tips

Iza Apr 27th, 2009 08:35 AM

Thanks you all for such helpful replies. Does anyone have any thoughts on Blue Orchids Hotel?