COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Barbados - Family Reunion - Villa Suggestions

Old Feb 1st, 2010, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Barbados - Family Reunion - Villa Suggestions

I've been fortunate on so many trips to receive excellent feedback from fodorites.
This fall 6-7 of my close female cousins wish to visit our grandmother's homeland, Barbados. She left as a teen, moved to NYC, began nursing school, met our grandfather, and 7 children, dozens of grandkids later, those of us left are trying to plan a trip to visit Barbados and hopefully find some family.

I've looked over VRBO,but of course it is a bit overwhelming. Been told West Coast is the spot to locate. Was hoping someone may know of a private rental or a group that is reliable in bookings. We'd need 4 bedrooms and hope to spend 5 nights at about 600-700 a night max for the house. It seems to be "non-inseason" so we'd be able to accomplish this. Would love to be close enough to a beach to walk, but realized that may be out of our budget range.

Any suggestions, recommendations, etc. are very much appreciated. This would be for mid-Oct. 2010.

Thank you,
Flower
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Hi Mr, thanks for the link - we need 5 bedrooms; do you know how many are in the villa next door?
Has anyone heard of WESTON HOUSE? It is a VRBO that I found - 5Br on Beach in Weston, is that a good area;
with 8 of us it would be $81 an night/pp so its doable. I cant find much other than 3 br; and of course the high end Sandy Lane which are thousands a night.

Will keep looking but if anyone has info on Weston would appreciate the input..
Flower
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, meant 4 BRs!
Thanks again
FP
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 05:06 AM

hi flower, what a wonderful plan. i'm very excited for you. how will you go about finding family? did any of the aunts/uncles ever go down? is your gram still alive to give you any info?
above house looks nice but is 1 mile from beach. try looking on gibbs beach or mullins beach or possibly paynes beach.

you should do a search for 'barbados villas' - there are lots of barbados companies offering houses, plus most of the standard caribbean companies - including villascaribe, islandhideaways, wimco, wiol.
my friends have gone for years and are very happy with local company bajanservices.com
most of above companies unlike vrbo or homeaway list their properties by size/fbrs which makes searching much easier.

we always rent a villa rather than a hotel, but i've not been on barbados so can not suggest any specific houses. once you select a 1/2 dozen or so that are suitable i could look at them to see if i see anything that makes one better than the rest. do look at 5-6 br villas too, as often they will rent just the # of brs that you need for a reduced price - less than the whole house and you get a bigger, nicer house. you get the whole property they just lock off the unused brs.
most barbados villas come with staff - who maybe could help you discover your family history?
after you find villa/s you like you can check vrbo for same property for less money, however an on island rental company is there to assist you should you have any issues with the property. for example on our last trip to grand cayman we discovered the freezer in our frig was broken on our first day. property manager was on site within an hour and had us a new frig by the next day. if we'd rented through vrbo we might have spent most of our trip trying to contact and negotiate a solution with the owners.
hope this helps.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 08:45 AM

Consider having a car for free ,that would save you hundreds of $$$ if you are looking for family,you certainly will not find them that easy by taking the bus.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 08:56 AM

I have check the Weston House,i know that house pretty well and the location,its a nice house and its on the beach its also close to the main road as well,600 to $800USD per night.If its in your budget that will be a good house for you guys.However the house is located near to a reef so the beach there is not that good you may have to walk 150 metre down to the fish market to have a good swim.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

HI All, thanks for the feedback..

MR KIA - since we are going out of the main season do you think it is so close to the road that we'd hear much traffic..I would think we'd be spending the majority of our time in the back of the house - that looked really nice with the outdoor living spaces and pool..I doubt if any of us will be swimming a great deal..our main daily activity will be looking at the area where our gran grew up; the few relatives left, etc.- some exploration of the island - maybe early am walks and late afternoon on the beach. I dont swim in oceans - just splash at the edge..willl jump in the pool though!

An uncle went about l0 years back and made some contacts. His daughter is going so I hope she will remember where to take us!
Pool will be used; but I think we'd just walk the beach. There are 8 of us so at 600 it is around 75 /pp per night which we thought with a cook, housekeeper etc is reasonable. If you have any others to recommend I would love to take a look (is that allowed to suggest here?)

Thanks for checking it out!

Flower
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so for the link to Holiday Rentals. The villa does look very nice and of course with 8 women shopping nearby would be lovely. I will look into it and pass it along; unfortunately the one thing they did ask for was a pool as we are more "dippers" than swimmers!
But it will go in the hat along with the few others; you've been a great help Mr.KIA, and I do appreciate it!

FlowerP
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 10:33 AM

Thank you flowerpower,and let the rest know that staying at that villa in Holetown you dont need a pool,the sea water is very calm, warm, shallow and crystal clear just like a pool.However what ever you choose hope you enjoy your time in Barbados,and can share some of it with us on Fodors when you return.